Hasselblad 56x42mm 60 mpix

Old December 25th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Hasselblad 56x42mm 60 mpix

Maybe Santa will think of me next year...

"" Hasselblad also announced the forthcoming H3DII-60, an even higher
end camera that we’ll launch in early 2009. The H3DII-60 will feature a
60 megapixel, 56×42mm, Dalsa-manufactured CDD sensor that provides 94%
full-frame, 645 coverage. It is important to emphasize the exact 645
format coverage as the phrase ‘full-frame’ is being used quite
frequently, however no manufacturer has yet achieved true medium format
full-frame. ""

60 mpix over that area works out to 25.5 kpix/mm^2 about the same as the

Canon 5DII at 24.3 kpix/mm^2 or slightly less

dense that the Sony a900 at 28.5 kpix/mm^2.

Note: I don't understand the "94% full-frame" claim since 645 is 56 x
41.5mm, so this sensor is actually a sliver larger than "645" or 101%.

ref: http://www.dtgweb.com/blog/?p=73

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 25th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Note: I don't understand the "94% full-frame" claim since 645 is 56 x
41.5mm, so this sensor is actually a sliver larger than "645" or 101%.

Alan-

There may be some weasel-wording of sensor specs, like effective pixels
verses total pixels. Perhaps it is something like a 100 MB hard drive
formatting to only 94 MB?

Fred
Old December 25th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
RichA[_4_]

Alan Browne wrote in
:

Maybe Santa will think of me next year...

"" Hasselblad also announced the forthcoming H3DII-60, an even higher
end camera that we’ll launch in early 2009. The H3DII-60 will feature a
60 megapixel, 56×42mm, Dalsa-manufactured CDD sensor that provides 94%
full-frame, 645 coverage. It is important to emphasize the exact 645
format coverage as the phrase ‘full-frame’ is being used quite
frequently, however no manufacturer has yet achieved true medium format
full-frame. ""

60 mpix over that area works out to 25.5 kpix/mm^2 about the same as

the

Canon 5DII at 24.3 kpix/mm^2 or slightly less

dense that the Sony a900 at 28.5 kpix/mm^2.

Note: I don't understand the "94% full-frame" claim since 645 is 56 x
41.5mm, so this sensor is actually a sliver larger than "645" or 101%.

ref: http://www.dtgweb.com/blog/?p=73

The whole concept of "Full frame" needs to be dispensed with. It is
based on ancient film specs that have zero bearing on sensor technology.
What will they call Canon, Sony and Nikon pro cameras when the S2 Leica
is released, "Former full-frame?"
Old December 25th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"RichA" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote in
:

[...]

dunno this "Full Frame" concept that "needs to be dispensed with." What I
want - and am waiting for - is the sensor where a 20mm lens functions like a
20mm lens and not a 38mm lens. Where a 105 mm lens has the depth of field
at f/2 that a 105 mm lens has rather than that of a lens of a different
focal length (and perspective). Where f/stops of f/16 and f/22 are usable
without running into diffraction issues. Where a macro lens really is a
macro lens allowing images at 1:1. Where dirt on the sensor can be easily
cleaned without risk (as the lens itself can be) and is not the issue it
currently is. And I truly would relish a camera with which I can see the
actual depth of field at the selected aperture with the lens stopped down.
Call it what you will - you have have all the other bells and whistles (the
smile detection, the sports setting, the fireworks setting, etc.) if you
can get me these "features." I know, I know...I have one heck of a long
wait!

Old December 25th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ken Hart1

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message

"RichA" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote in
:

[...]

I don't care about smile detection, sports setting, etc bells and whistles
either, but the other features you describe, I've had those for many many
years. As for dirt on the sensor, I get around that by using a brand new
sensor for each and every exposure.

Old December 25th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Ken Hart1" wrote in message

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message

"RichA" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote in
:

[...]

[chuckle] Which is exactly why I still hold on to - and make heavy use of -
my hand dandy, tried and true, trusty, and dearly cherished Nikon F.

Old December 25th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Michael[_6_]

On 2008-12-25 17:07:35 -0500, "Ken Hart1" said:

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message

"RichA" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote in
:

[...]

Me too. And full frame IS full frame. My Nikon F has full frame 35mm
and my Pentax 6x7 has a full 6x7 cm. And my Nikon uses the newest
Kodak-built sensor, the EKTAR 100. I currently have a Fuji-built full
6x7 sensor in my Pentax called The Velvia. Amazing, this new technology.
--
Michael

Old December 26th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
RichA[_3_]

"Ken Hart1" wrote in message

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message

"RichA" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote in
:

[...]

As you remembering them functioning with 35mm film, you mean. Again, there
are no "set" formats anymore. Your 20mm lens could me a medium format
shooter's 15mm lens.
The only thing we know for sure is that a 20mm lens's focal length is 20mm,
not 35mm and not 15mm. That is the only absolute.

Old December 26th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Noons

On 2008-12-25 17:07:35 -0500, "Ken Hart1" said:

I don't care about smile detection, sports setting, etc bells and
whistles
either, but the other features you describe, I've had those for many many
years. As for dirt on the sensor, I get around that by using a brand new
sensor for each and every exposure.

Me too. And full frame IS full frame. My Nikon F has full frame 35mm and
my Pentax 6x7 has a full 6x7 cm. And my Nikon uses the newest
Kodak-built sensor, the EKTAR 100. I currently have a Fuji-built full
6x7 sensor in my Pentax called The Velvia. Amazing, this new technology.

LOL! Dunno about others, but I've also been enjoying 70MP on
my Arax 6X6 for years, around 50MP on the Fuji 645S, as well as
20MP on various types of sensor on my F, F2, F4 and F6.

In fact, I can now get 20MP from images taken in 1980,1970 and even
some Kodachromes from 1958. And nearly 100MP from 6X7 stuff.

Oh, and it didn't cost me the price of a small car to get all that,
most of the gear works even without batteries and I don't have problems
focusing in the dark. And every time I get dust on the sensor, I replace
it with a fresh, brand new sensor.

But of course, I'm "behind the times", I'm "old school" and
I don't know what "real photography" is all about.

Yup.

Sure.

yaaaaaawn
Old December 26th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

RichA wrote:
Alan Browne wrote in
:

[...]

Where it relates to lens - image constraints, of course it does not need
to be dispensed with. Lens systems are usually the longest lasting and
most costly part of a camera system, not to mention the most important.

The Canon/Sony/Nikon FF cameras will remain such as they are all 35mm
standard camera systems.

IAC it is amusing how a little note regarding the interpretation of full
frame has taken on more importance than the whole camera as described.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.