Return from the dead.....

Old December 8th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

Default Return from the dead.....

"Russell D." wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
"Russell D." wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
"Annika1980" wrote in message
Billy, why did you go with Vista?

Well why wouldn't you, XP is a dead OS.

Huh? At my work I'm in charge of keeping over 100 PC's going. Only two
of them are running Vista and it will stay that way for the foreseeable
future. We have more Linux desktops that Vista.

Russell

Whoopie do, we have over a 1,000 Vista machines working just fine thanks.

Groovy! What does you Vista do that my XP cannot besides cost a lot of
money.

Cost is the same.

Old December 8th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Bill Graham wrote:

I have returned from the dead.....

I was thinking about you at the end of the
summer and around election time. I assume
a tough six months.

I can save you a few bucks a month
with a free news server that seems to work
just fine when the ISP at the lakehouse decided
that news support was a cost they could eliminate

Welcome back

Walter..

Old December 9th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Walter Banks" wrote in message

Bill Graham wrote:

I have returned from the dead.....

I was thinking about you at the end of the
summer and around election time. I assume
a tough six months.

I can save you a few bucks a month
with a free news server that seems to work
just fine when the ISP at the lakehouse decided
that news support was a cost they could eliminate

Welcome back

Walter..

Thanks, Walter. I will investigate and switch a little later....Right now, I
am working on trying out a DVD copier program....A friend gave me a disk of
his band to copy, and my "Nero" program only works on music discs.....Like
everything else nowadays, the disc copying business is as complicated as all
hell........I had to research about a dozen or more copy programs before I
learned enough to buy one and try it out.....I long for the good old days
when you just went down to the corner store, and picked it up, bit it to see
if it was real gold, and then bought it......

Old December 9th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Welcome back

Walter..

Thanks, Walter. I will investigate and switch a little later....Right now,
I am working on trying out a DVD copier program....A friend gave me a disk
of his band to copy, and my "Nero" program only works on music
discs.....Like everything else nowadays, the disc copying business is as
complicated as all hell........I had to research about a dozen or more
copy programs before I learned enough to buy one and try it out.....I long
for the good old days when you just went down to the corner store, and
picked it up, bit it to see if it was real gold, and then bought it......

Wouldn't you know it.....It was copying the disk fine....It moved it into a
file it opened on my "D" drive.....Then, when I inserted a blank 4.7 GIG
DVD-R disk, it said, "formatting disk".....and, 20 minutes later, it was
still formatting.....So, I escaped out, and rebooted.....I didn't know you
still had to format discs......Can you buy pre formatted discs like you used
to be able to do with the old 1.5 meg floppies? Or, did it reserve this
error message just to give me a hard time....:^)

Old December 9th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

[...]

DVD's don't have to be formatted before use, your burning program should do
all of that for you.

Old December 9th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart1

[...]

True that. Perhaps the "formatting disk" message actually meant that the
software was putting the data into DVD format before burning it on the disk?
I routinely burn AVI files that I have downloaded onto DVD's using Nero. I
first create a DVD image on the hard drive and then in a separate step, burn
that onto a DVD. It is not uncommon for creating the image to take a couple
days. Nerovision Express shows the image and a progress bar with a very
optimistic time remaining. Burning the disk from the hard drive image
usually takes about fifteen minutes..

My version of Nero that came with the DVD burner will copy DVD's except some
that have copy protection schemes.

Old December 10th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

True that. Perhaps the "formatting disk" message actually meant that the
software was putting the data into DVD format before burning it on the
disk? I routinely burn AVI files that I have downloaded onto DVD's using
Nero. I first create a DVD image on the hard drive and then in a separate
step, burn that onto a DVD. It is not uncommon for creating the image to
take a couple days. Nerovision Express shows the image and a progress bar
with a very optimistic time remaining. Burning the disk from the hard
drive image usually takes about fifteen minutes..

My version of Nero that came with the DVD burner will copy DVD's except
some that have copy protection schemes.

Nero is a great burning tool but it is a crap conversion tool, any other
software will be better in my experience. For authoring DVDs I recommend one
of the cheap tools like Ulead DVD Movie Factory. Also have a look at
www.dvdrhelp.com lots of good info there.

Pete