Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G

Old October 25th 05, 04:50 PM
cybose

Default Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G

How exactly is the aperture controlled in a Nikon G Lens. I'am assuming
its got a set of plates inside that form a pupil that dilates and
contracts. Does it have a motor on the lens that does this ?
Although the G Lenses dont have an aperture ring, is it possible to
change the aperture physically by adjusting a screw or something ?

Old October 25th 05, 06:10 PM
Joseph Kewfi

Although the G Lenses dont have an aperture ring, is it possible to
change the aperture physically by adjusting a screw or something ?

No, only the dial on the camera body can control it.

oups.com...

Old October 26th 05, 04:41 AM
William Graham

"cybose" wrote in message
oups.com...
How exactly is the aperture controlled in a Nikon G Lens. I'am assuming
its got a set of plates inside that form a pupil that dilates and
contracts. Does it have a motor on the lens that does this ?
Although the G Lenses dont have an aperture ring, is it possible to
change the aperture physically by adjusting a screw or something ?

I believe the camera body uses the same lever that it normally uses to open
the aperture before it takes the picture, so you can focus and observe the
scene more easily.....IOW, just before you actually take the picture, the
camera shuts down the aperture to wherever its set by the lens, and with the
G lens, the camera shuts it down only to where the camera body thinks
it should be based on where you told it to be with your knurled
wheel.......But I could be wrong.....This is just my, "educated
guess".........

Old October 28th 05, 04:01 PM
Paul Furman

William Graham wrote:

"cybose" wrote in message
oups.com...

How exactly is the aperture controlled in a Nikon G Lens. I'am assuming
its got a set of plates inside that form a pupil that dilates and
contracts. Does it have a motor on the lens that does this ?
Although the G Lenses dont have an aperture ring, is it possible to
change the aperture physically by adjusting a screw or something ?

I believe the camera body uses the same lever that it normally uses to open
the aperture before it takes the picture, so you can focus and observe the
scene more easily.....IOW, just before you actually take the picture, the
camera shuts down the aperture to wherever its set by the lens, and with the
G lens, the camera shuts it down only to where the camera body thinks
it should be based on where you told it to be with your knurled
wheel.......But I could be wrong.....This is just my, "educated
guess".........

That's right, it's an prominent lever on the mount side of the lens when
off the camera you can move the lever with your finger and see the
aperture open & close. When using a reversed lens for macro work, you
have to reach around with your finger & move that lever to open the
aperture in order to get enough light to see (it springs shut) then
guess where you want to stop it down to with about a half inch range on
the lever or simply tape it wide open.

The only limitation is you can't use these on an old body. In fact,
lenses with an aperture ring have to have that ring locked off to work
on a D70 to let the body control it. I'm not sure if a pro body could
probably work both ways but it doesn't matter.