Windows deletes Picasa

Old November 23rd 18, 12:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Windows deletes Picasa

On 11/22/2018 7:53 PM, RichA wrote:
Even though the installation wasn't from Windows (since it no longer exists) but it still managed to delete the program without being asked. I like Picasa for basic editing because it's fast with the functions right up front, kind of like an enhanced version of Paint (which Microsoft had to re-introduce recently after they tried to remove it and people didn't like it).

Those that know what they're doing have not had "Windows" delete their
programs. Nor has "Windows" either "reintroduced" or replaced Paint.
Both versions of Paint are still on all of my Windows10 machines. Of
course, those who don't know what they're doing are having one hell of a
time with Win10.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old November 23rd 18, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 23/11/2018 11:53, Neil wrote:
On 11/22/2018 7:53 PM, RichA wrote:
Even though the installation wasn't from Windows (since it no longer
exists) but it still managed to delete the program without being
asked.Â* I like Picasa for basic editing because it's fast with the
functions right up front, kind of like an enhanced version of Paint
(which Microsoft had to re-introduce recently after they tried to
remove it and people didn't like it).

Those that know what they're doing have not had "Windows" delete their
programs. Nor has "Windows" either "reintroduced" or replaced Paint.
Both versions of Paint are still on all of my Windows10 machines. Of
course, those who don't know what they're doing are having one hell of a
time with Win10.

Well said.

Of course, Picasa is a Google rather than Microsoft product, they
stopped supporting it a little while ago but then made available a
version which works pretty well on Win10.

I find it very convenient for cataloguing and for basic image "fixes".

How MS could release the Photo app which apparently randomly fails to
open some JPEGs is a mystery to me.
Old November 23rd 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

Even though the installation wasn't from Windows (since it no longer
exists) but it still managed to delete the program without being asked. I
like Picasa for basic editing because it's fast with the functions right up
front, kind of like an enhanced version of Paint (which Microsoft had to
re-introduce recently after they tried to remove it and people didn't like
it).

Those that know what they're doing have not had "Windows" delete their
programs. Nor has "Windows" either "reintroduced" or replaced Paint.
Both versions of Paint are still on all of my Windows10 machines.

arrogance at its finest.

a well designed product works for *everyone*, regardless of their level
of knowledge of the product's internals and how to coax it into not
breaking.

solely due to microsoft's ****ty testing (or lack thereof).
Old November 23rd 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

How MS could release the Photo app which apparently randomly fails to
open some JPEGs is a mystery to me.

one reason would be because the jpg is non-compliant or corrupt.

post a link to such a jpeg.
Old November 23rd 18, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 11/23/2018 11:55 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

Even though the installation wasn't from Windows (since it no longer
exists) but it still managed to delete the program without being asked. I
like Picasa for basic editing because it's fast with the functions right up
front, kind of like an enhanced version of Paint (which Microsoft had to
re-introduce recently after they tried to remove it and people didn't like
it).

Those that know what they're doing have not had "Windows" delete their
programs. Nor has "Windows" either "reintroduced" or replaced Paint.
Both versions of Paint are still on all of my Windows10 machines.

arrogance at its finest.

I thought you had issues with ad-hominem attacks? I stated facts, which
are neither arrogant nor opinions of any kind.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old November 23rd 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

Even though the installation wasn't from Windows (since it no longer
exists) but it still managed to delete the program without being asked. I
like Picasa for basic editing because it's fast with the functions right up
front, kind of like an enhanced version of Paint (which Microsoft had to
re-introduce recently after they tried to remove it and people didn't like
it).

Those that know what they're doing have not had "Windows" delete their
programs. Nor has "Windows" either "reintroduced" or replaced Paint.
Both versions of Paint are still on all of my Windows10 machines.

arrogance at its finest.

I thought you had issues with ad-hominem attacks?

as usual, you thought wrong, and that is not an ad hominem attack. i
didn't say *you* were arrogant, i said the above described attitude is.

I stated facts, which
are neither arrogant nor opinions of any kind.

nope. you stated an opinion, one which is entirely devoid of facts.

it's an arrogant attitude if only a select few can use a particular
product, in this case, windows.

as i said, which you snipped, a well designed product works for
everyone, regardless of their level of knowledge or needing to use a
myriad of contortions to avoid problems.
Old November 23rd 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 11/23/2018 12:54 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

Even though the installation wasn't from Windows (since it no longer
exists) but it still managed to delete the program without being asked. I
like Picasa for basic editing because it's fast with the functions right up
front, kind of like an enhanced version of Paint (which Microsoft had to
re-introduce recently after they tried to remove it and people didn't like
it).

Those that know what they're doing have not had "Windows" delete their
programs. Nor has "Windows" either "reintroduced" or replaced Paint.
Both versions of Paint are still on all of my Windows10 machines.

arrogance at its finest.

I thought you had issues with ad-hominem attacks?

as usual, you thought wrong, and that is not an ad hominem attack. i
didn't say *you* were arrogant, i said the above described attitude is.

As ususal, your comprehesive abilities are abominably low. The FACT, as
in your clip of my STATEMENT, is that both versions of Paint are on all
of my Win10 machines, and that Windows neither reintroduced or replaced
Paint on those machines. That is neither an opinion nor an attitude.

What you stated regarding the quality of an OS is your OPINION (and the
archetypal definition of arrogance as well). You might find that owning
a dictionary is a valuable investment.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old November 23rd 18, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

[...]

ad hominem.

The FACT, as
in your clip of my STATEMENT, is that both versions of Paint are on all
of my Win10 machines, and that Windows neither reintroduced or replaced
Paint on those machines. That is neither an opinion nor an attitude.

sample size of one, and you're avoiding owning up to this part:
Those that know what they're doing have not had "Windows" delete their

*that* is the issue, and very much an attitude, a very arrogant one.

What you stated regarding the quality of an OS is your OPINION (and the
archetypal definition of arrogance as well).

nope.

requiring users to 'know what they're doing' just to use a product is
very clearly bad design.

You might find that owning
a dictionary is a valuable investment.

another ad hominem, and further proof you are out of touch with the
world.

dictionaries are online now and have been for years, no investment
required and far more useful than those obsolete physical dictionaries
from years past.
Old November 24th 18, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 23/11/2018 16:55, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

How MS could release the Photo app which apparently randomly fails to
open some JPEGs is a mystery to me.

one reason would be because the jpg is non-compliant or corrupt.

Well yes, but everything else seems to open them OK. It really *is* only
photos that has troubles.

post a link to such a jpeg.

I'll try next time I find one that I can post (mostly I am working with
proprietary stuff).

Old November 24th 18, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

How MS could release the Photo app which apparently randomly fails to
open some JPEGs is a mystery to me.

one reason would be because the jpg is non-compliant or corrupt.

Well yes, but everything else seems to open them OK. It really *is* only
photos that has troubles.

that doesn't necessarily mean microsoft photos is at fault.

some apps try to handle invalid files by guessing at what the invalid
data should have been. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

the correct thing to do is reject all files that are non-compliant or
otherwise invalid, but that tends to **** off users.

on the other hand, microsoft has a long history of *generating*
non-compliant files (usually intentionally), mostly videos, so it's
quite possible that photos has problems with certain images.

post a link to such a jpeg.

I'll try next time I find one that I can post (mostly I am working with
proprietary stuff).

what app generated the files?