Letting off steam

Old April 16th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Letting off steam

On 4/15/2018 8:29 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per PeterN:
For the forth time this week I got a phone call from a telephone that
spoofs the telephone number of an Apple store.

My cell phone gets fairly-frequent robocalls from numbers on the same
exchange.

With me it's to the point where, if you are not in my phonebook, I do not
answer.

On the land line, since starting NoMoRobo, robo and solicitor calls have
dropped from 6-10 per day to *maybe* one per month.

I would have done that a long time ago, but I get a lot of calls from my
doctors private lines. None of the "Apple" calls have been answered by
me, but they have left messages on my voice mail.

--
PeterN
Old April 16th 18, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

They give me a number to call, which does not compare with any
legitimate Apple number. I have reported this phony number to Apple.

there's nothing apple or anyone else can realistically do. the calls
are almost certainly coming from outside the usa, and it's only going
to get worse.

So you are saying that the number they ask me to call cannot be traced?

realistically, no.

scammers use voip, so the best you could do with a traditional trace is
find where it connects to pots network.

you might be able to obtain an ip address (which could be spoofed),
which geolocates to somewhere on the other side of the planet.

what are you going to do now?

According to one of my friends, who was an engineer with the original
AT&T, and another friend who is retired from a TLOF agency, just about
any number can be traced, though some with more difficulty than other's.

he's living in the past.

today, with voip, it's a whole different game.

I also heard some horror stories about some who were naive enough to
either press the requested button, or call the number they ask you to call.

there are always horror stories. so what?
Old April 17th 18, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 4/16/2018 3:10 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

For several reasons I trust what these guys say, over what you say.
Don't bother to reply, unless you show me the type of solid evidence
that they have shown me.

I also heard some horror stories about some who were naive enough to
either press the requested button, or call the number they ask you to call.

there are always horror stories. so what?

You missed my point completely.

--
PeterN
Old April 17th 18, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

then you're foolish.

Don't bother to reply, unless you show me the type of solid evidence
that they have shown me.

what did they show you? tracing voip is *very* different than tracing
pots, as explained above.
Old April 19th 18, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 4/15/2018 8:55 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 15, 2018, PeteCresswell) wrote
(in ):

Per PeterN:
For the forth time this week I got a phone call from a telephone that
spoofs the telephone number of an Apple store.

My cell phone gets fairly-frequent robocalls from numbers on the same
exchange.

The latest thing they do is to spoof both area code and local exchane to make
it look like a call made from your local area. So your number might be
(820)239-1234, and the spoofed number will be (820)239-4321. There are IRS
scams, Police Association scams, Junior Police scams, travel scams, Disabled
Vets scams, international call charges scams, and more. Some are are
nationally local, many redirect to somewhere on the Indian sub-continent, or
Eastern Europe regardless of apparant origin. I just don’t know how I am
going to solve IRS problems by dealing with somebody in Bulgaria, or Mumbai.

With me it's to the point where, if you are not in my phonebook, I do not
answer.

Yup! If it is in anyway important, and the number is not in my contacts they
can leave a voicemail, or text.

On the land line, since starting NoMoRobo, robo and solicitor calls have
dropped from 6-10 per day to *maybe* one per month.

I also use Mr.Number on my iPhone.
http://mrnumber.com
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1047334922

They don't *just* spoof your local area .. I once got a
spam call that was spoofed as my own phone number.

I recently got some calls where the ID said Western Union.
The number was local. I looked up all the local Western
Union phone numbers and none matched. Obviously
a spoofed number. The next time they called I picked up
and it was a robo from one of those energy company scams.
They haven't called since.

Unfortunately NoMoRobo doesn't work with analog land lines. :-(

A new twist .. I got a call and the ID started with "SPAM?"

Wondering if Verizon is starting to tag some of these
spam/robo calls. Would be nice if true.
--
==
Later...

Old April 19th 18, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ron C
wrote:

They don't *just* spoof your local area .. I once got a
spam call that was spoofed as my own phone number.

that's the easiest of all to block with no risk whatsoever. add your
own phone number to the block list. done. also add invalid nanp
numbers, such as all 0s, all 1s, etc.

the problem is blocking neighbor spam, because it could be someone who
might call you one day.
Old April 19th 18, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 14:08:30 -0400, nospam
wrote:

They don't *just* spoof your local area .. I once got a
spam call that was spoofed as my own phone number.

that's the easiest of all to block with no risk whatsoever.

Not if you have an alarm system that calls you...
Old April 19th 18, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

They don't *just* spoof your local area .. I once got a
spam call that was spoofed as my own phone number.

that's the easiest of all to block with no risk whatsoever.

Not if you have an alarm system that calls you...

why is the alarm system calling you using your own caller id and not
that of the alarm company? and if you're home, why does it need to call
you at all?
Old April 19th 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 15:33:12 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

They don't *just* spoof your local area .. I once got a
spam call that was spoofed as my own phone number.

that's the easiest of all to block with no risk whatsoever.

Not if you have an alarm system that calls you...

why is the alarm system calling you using your own caller id and not
that of the alarm company? and if you're home, why does it need to call
you at all?

No need for an alarm company - I think they're useless. It calls me by
landline & a cellular connection, so cutting every wire going to my
house won't foil the alarm system. I have cameras inside, so I can
look around the place, and then call the police if someone is actually
in here, which has never happened. *Everything* has battery backups,
and if someone cuts my power, I know within about 15 seconds. I spent
a lot of time on this...

And I'm not even in a high crime area.
Old April 19th 18, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

They don't *just* spoof your local area .. I once got a
spam call that was spoofed as my own phone number.

that's the easiest of all to block with no risk whatsoever.

Not if you have an alarm system that calls you...

why is the alarm system calling you using your own caller id and not
that of the alarm company? and if you're home, why does it need to call
you at all?

No need for an alarm company - I think they're useless. It calls me by
landline & a cellular connection, so cutting every wire going to my
house won't foil the alarm system.

that doesn't answer the question, which is why it's calling you with
spoofed caller id, that being your own number and not theirs, and if
it's both landline & cell, then at least one of them should be
different.