Try again - Fuji F10/F11- taking pictures inside churches in Europe

Old December 14th 05, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Try again - Fuji F10/F11- taking pictures inside churches in Europe

Greetings! I have read that F10/F11 can take pictures in ISO 800-1600
without much noise. I am going to Europe next summer. I am going to
take pictures of inside the churches like Canterbury Cathedral, York
Minister etc and various museums in Europe. Do you think that the
F10/F11 can do the job using high ISO? I have a DSLR but I do not want
to carry it to Europe. With thanks.

Old December 14th 05, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 13 Dec 2005 18:05:18 -0800, qwert2b2 wrote:

Greetings! I have read that F10/F11 can take pictures in ISO 800-1600
without much noise. I am going to Europe next summer. I am going to
take pictures of inside the churches like Canterbury Cathedral, York
Minister etc and various museums in Europe. Do you think that the
F10/F11 can do the job using high ISO? I have a DSLR but I do not want
to carry it to Europe. With thanks.

Unless the brightness level in those churches and museums is
known, there's no way to determine if the F10/F11 will be able to do
the job, and the results will vary. Only a DSLR will do better, and
the F10 might do better than some of the older ones. One way to
look at it is that if the F10/F11 only produces fair results in some
of the darker churches and museums, any other P&S camera will do a
poor job or worse. What will help would be to try to find the most
portable means of steadying the camera, which will allow longer
usable shutter speeds. Tripods are normally not allowed, but there
are other things you may be able to use instead. One device I've
read about is essentially a long cord that attaches at one end to
the camera's tripod socket. The other end either loops around your
shoe or you step on it. When the cord is kept taut, it becomes
effectively a monopod, but takes up little space. You could put it
in a pocket. You might even be able to make one for little cost if
you have the right screw, of purchase a very cheap tabletop tripod,
hack it into bits (or unscrew it) and make the device yourself. And
of course practice a bit with it before the trip, both using the
strap (if you buy or make one) and also to see for yourself ahead of
time what the slowest shutter speed is that you can hold steady
enough to produce decent shots when the lighting is dim.

Old December 14th 05, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

qwert2b2 wrote:
Greetings! I have read that F10/F11 can take pictures in ISO 800-1600
without much noise. I am going to Europe next summer. I am going to
take pictures of inside the churches like Canterbury Cathedral, York
Minister etc and various museums in Europe. Do you think that the
F10/F11 can do the job using high ISO? I have a DSLR but I do not want
to carry it to Europe. With thanks.

I've taken a lot of pictures in churches and museums in Europe, both
film and digital, and I only carry a SLR/DSLR. In my experience,
even a DSLR hits the limit in the darkest churches, and getting
good images is a challenge. I only use image stabilized lenses too.

Note, not only are tripods usually not allowed, flash is not
either. Some places also do not allow any camera.

So, while a P&S can get images in some situations, the DSLR
will allow more situations to be imaged well.

Roger Clark
photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com
(no church pictures on the site yet)
Old December 14th 05, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

qwert2b2 wrote:
Greetings! I have read that F10/F11 can take pictures in ISO 800-1600
without much noise. I am going to Europe next summer. I am going to
take pictures of inside the churches like Canterbury Cathedral, York
Minister etc and various museums in Europe. Do you think that the
F10/F11 can do the job using high ISO? I have a DSLR but I do not want
to carry it to Europe. With thanks.

You might find yourself getting frustrated with the limited wide angle
end of either the F10 or the F11. You might try doing some church
shots around home with your DSLR but limit it to the same effect 35mm
FL that you would get with the F10 or F11. For the Canons and their
1.6 crop factor this would be a FL of 22.5mm, 1.6 x 22.5mm = 36mm,
which is what the F10 and F11 would give you.

I would be pretty tempted to take with the DSLR and since I have a
Canon I would be looking at getting either the EF-S 10-22 or the EF-S
17-85. The 17-85 is a slower lens, f/4-5.6, but it does have IS. The
10-22 is of course going to be able to capture a lot more at once and
is a bit faster at f.3.5-4.5

Scott

Old December 14th 05, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Photos inside with high ISO??Use low ISO and tripoid!!!!!

--
Buy photos with license
Sell your photos

Uzytkownik "Scott W" napisal w wiadomosci
oups.com...

Old December 14th 05, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

mirhe wrote:
Photos inside with high ISO??Use low ISO and tripoid!!!!!

Sure, if they allow a tripod, I would bet most don't.

Scott

Old December 14th 05, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:10:10 +0100, "mirhe"
wrote:

Photos inside with high ISO??Use low ISO and tripoid!!!!!

Tripods are often prohibited in such places.

PS: I think your "!" key is stuck ;-)

--
John Bean
Old December 14th 05, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I often use small tripoid (20 cm ) and stay his at bench or chais or floor
or handrail or another discreet place

--
Buy photos with license
Sell your photos
http://fotobank.tivi.net.pl/linki.html
Uzytkownik "John Bean" napisal w wiadomosci

Old December 14th 05, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 14 Dec 2005 04:15:17 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

mirhe wrote:
Photos inside with high ISO??Use low ISO and tripoid!!!!!

Sure, if they allow a tripod, I would bet most don't.

No-one has ever bothered me when I have used my mini-tripod which is
semi-permanently attached to my camera. There is usually something
handy to rest it on or brace it against and I think I've had some
quite acceptable results. It should work well with a light camera and
you don't need anything too sturdy for indoor use.

--
AnthonyL
Old December 14th 05, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:18:34 +0000, John Bean wrote:

Photos inside with high ISO??Use low ISO and tripoid!!!!!

Tripods are often prohibited in such places.

PS: I think your "!" key is stuck ;-)

It's not stuck. It's acting as a spell check warning indicator.