Sharp Photo?

Old July 10th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matalog

Default Sharp Photo?

If you have a photo that is sharp, to what level of magnification should you
be able to look at that image while it still looks sharp?

I hav looked at a lot of images and they loose their sharpness (assuming
they were sharp to begin with!)after 50% in photoshop.

Is it possible for an image to look sharp at 100% in photoshop? I mean from
a camera, not a 300ppi edited photo.

Thanks for any replies.

Old July 10th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eatmorepies

"Matalog" wrote in message
If you have a photo that is sharp, to what level of magnification should
you be able to look at that image while it still looks sharp?

I hav looked at a lot of images and they loose their sharpness (assuming
they were sharp to begin with!)after 50% in photoshop.

Is it possible for an image to look sharp at 100% in photoshop? I mean
from a camera, not a 300ppi edited photo.

100% in Photoshop is the same as "view actual pixels" which has a resolution
or 72 or 80 ppi - it depends on your screen and settings. You probably print
at 200+ dpi. The part of the picture you view on your screen at 100% - from
a viewing distance of about 50cm is equivalent to viewing a 120cm by 80cm
(or so) print from a distance of 50cm - not very likely so it's a bit of an
unfair test.

100% is a good test of sharpness but perhaps 33% to 50% is closer to a
realistic comparison with a largish practical print.

Having written that, I always look at100% to see how sharp the picture is,
especially if I have multiple copies of similar things - then I print from
the sharpest. e.g. last week I photographed sparrows, of the 100 or so files
I have some 20% are still pin sharp at 100%, the prints (A3 from 8Mpx) are
very sharp.

John

Old July 10th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Matalog wrote:
If you have a photo that is sharp, to what level of magnification should you
be able to look at that image while it still looks sharp?

I hav looked at a lot of images and they loose their sharpness (assuming
they were sharp to begin with!)after 50% in photoshop.

Is it possible for an image to look sharp at 100% in photoshop? I mean from
a camera, not a 300ppi edited photo.

Thanks for any replies.

It depends on the resolution your monitor is set for.
Most monitors are basically low resolution devices and are set for a
resolution of less than 120 pixels/inch.YMMV
A really sharp print requires at least 240 pixels/inch.
Bob Williams
Old July 10th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matalog

Would you mind sending me one of your images that are pin sharp at 100% so I
can compare it with mine, i'd just like to see how sharp images can be at
100%.

Thanks a lot for replying.

Matt.

Old July 10th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Matalog wrote:
If you have a photo that is sharp, to what level of magnification should you
be able to look at that image while it still looks sharp?

I hav looked at a lot of images and they loose their sharpness (assuming
they were sharp to begin with!)after 50% in photoshop.

Is it possible for an image to look sharp at 100% in photoshop? I mean from
a camera, not a 300ppi edited photo.

A down sized image will almost always look shaper then an image right
out of the camera. But if you are using a good camera with a good lens
you should be able to get a pretty sharp image even when viewed at 100%

This is one of my sharper images, the turkey head is in the center of
the photo.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/82035864/original

But if you really want an image to look sharp then down sizing it is the
way to go, like this one.
http://upload.pbase.com/konascott/im...36958/original

Scott

Old July 10th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jay B

On Jul 10, 2:38 pm, Scott W wrote:
Matalog wrote:
[...]

Any clue as to the camera used for the marina photo? That is truly
one crispy image!!

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Old July 11th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Matalog wrote:
It looks like a stitch, a very good one.

It is in fact a stitched photo, I find that starting out with a lot
of pixels and then down sizing the photo can give a very sharp image.

Scott
Old July 11th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight

"Matalog" wrote in message
Would you mind sending me one of your images that are pin sharp at 100% so
I can compare it with mine, i'd just like to see how sharp images can be
at 100%.

Thanks a lot for replying.

Matt.

http://www.tfrog93.com/digitals/lens..._400L/0178.jpg

You didn't ask me, but let me see if this fits the bill. The above is a
full-size, untouched photo from a Canon Digital Rebel XT, using the Canon
100-400mm L lens that I'm trying out right now.

It looks pretty darn sharp to me in Photoshop...

dwight

Old July 11th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jay B

On Jul 10, 5:47 pm, Scott W wrote:
Matalog wrote:
It looks like a stitch, a very good one.

It is in fact a stitched photo, I find that starting out with a lot
of pixels and then down sizing the photo can give a very sharp image.

Scott

Agreed. There's some really good images out there that were shot X
frames across the top, X frames across the middle and X frames across
the bottom and then "assembled" in post.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog