Canon dSLR's

Old July 3rd 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matalog

Default Canon dSLR's

Someone told me that the sound of the mirror moving (the sound you hear when
you take a photograph) was actually a recording and could be turned off (and
I don't mean by stopping the mirror from coming down). Is this true? In
any of the cameras in the canon dslr range?

Old July 3rd 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Jul 3, 8:04 pm, "Matalog" wrote:
Someone told me that the sound of the mirror moving (the sound you hear when
you take a photograph) was actually a recording and could be turned off (and
I don't mean by stopping the mirror from coming down). Is this true? In
any of the cameras in the canon dslr range?

Remove the lens, and, while looking at the mirror, release the
shutter. Is the sound a recording?

Old July 3rd 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

"Matalog" wrote in message
Someone told me that the sound of the mirror moving (the sound you hear
when you take a photograph) was actually a recording and could be turned
off (and I don't mean by stopping the mirror from coming down). Is this
true? In any of the cameras in the canon dslr range?

DSLR's have the mirrors that make the sound. So there is no need for a
recording in a DSLR.

Some Non-DSLR's do have a sound recording because they have no mirror and/or
no shutter to make the characteristic shutter and mirror slap sound. In the
one that I own, a Canon Powershot G2, the sound can be turned off.

It is my guess that the quiet, shutterless and mirrorless cameras would
prove to be frustrating to many people if the recording was not played to
let them know when the photo had been taken.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old July 3rd 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gordon[_2_]

Eric Miller wrote:
"Matalog" wrote in message
Someone told me that the sound of the mirror moving (the sound you hear
when you take a photograph) was actually a recording and could be turned
off (and I don't mean by stopping the mirror from coming down). Is this
true? In any of the cameras in the canon dslr range?

DSLR's have the mirrors that make the sound. So there is no need for a
recording in a DSLR.

Some Non-DSLR's do have a sound recording because they have no mirror and/or
no shutter to make the characteristic shutter and mirror slap sound. In the
one that I own, a Canon Powershot G2, the sound can be turned off.

It is my guess that the quiet, shutterless and mirrorless cameras would
prove to be frustrating to many people if the recording was not played to
let them know when the photo had been taken.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

I loaned a Sony Cybershot to a friend and had turned the shutter sound
off some time ago (it was annoying to me). She was to take a bunch of
wedding photos and thought she had, as she said she pushed the shutter
button. She brought the camera back and asked if I would retrieve her
photos only to find out she actually took no photos... very
disappointed was she...

Jim
Old July 3rd 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:17:35 -0400, Gordon wrote:
: Eric Miller wrote:
: "Matalog" wrote in message
: ...
: Someone told me that the sound of the mirror moving (the sound you hear
: when you take a photograph) was actually a recording and could be turned
: off (and I don't mean by stopping the mirror from coming down). Is this
: true? In any of the cameras in the canon dslr range?
:
:
[...]

She never looked at the screen to see the picture she just "took"?

Bob
Old July 3rd 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali

Eric gave a pretty good summary.

Also, not an answer to your post (as that has already been answered), but
just as additional info, with the Canon 1D Mark III, there is a setting for
'soft mode' to make the noise a bit softer.

And, if you want to hear a shutter on a camera that will knock your socks
off, listen to the 1D Mark III here at 10fps: ;-))))
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/S...0fps-Burst.mp3

Old July 3rd 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matalog

"Ali" wrote in message
Eric gave a pretty good summary.

Also, not an answer to your post (as that has already been answered), but
just as additional info, with the Canon 1D Mark III, there is a setting
for 'soft mode' to make the noise a bit softer.

Well that explains it. The person that told me is a 1d owner, so he must
have meant the soft mode, although he did say that you couldn't hear it
atall, and he said (wrongly assumed?) that it's the same for all canon
dslrs.

He is obviously mixed up.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Old July 3rd 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matalog

"Matalog" wrote in message
Someone told me that the sound of the mirror moving (the sound you hear
when you take a photograph) was actually a recording and could be turned
off (and I don't mean by stopping the mirror from coming down). Is this
true? In any of the cameras in the canon dslr range?

DSLR's have the mirrors that make the sound. So there is no need for a
recording in a DSLR.

That is what I thought, and why I had to ask the question.

Thanks for answering.

Old July 3rd 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gordon[_2_]

Robert Coe wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:17:35 -0400, Gordon wrote:
: Eric Miller wrote:
: "Matalog" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Apparently not...

Jim
Old July 4th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jul 3, 10:32 am, Robert Coe wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:17:35 -0400, Gordon wrote:

: I loaned a Sony Cybershot to a friend and had turned the shutter sound
: off some time ago (it was annoying to me). She was to take a bunch of
: wedding photos and thought she had, as she said she pushed the shutter
: button. She brought the camera back and asked if I would retrieve her
: photos only to find out she actually took no photos... very
: disappointed was she...

She never looked at the screen to see the picture she just "took"?

I can't speak for her, but I can give you my take on this. I will
check the screen when I do the first shot or two to make sure the
lighting is coming out right. But after that, I rarely look at the
screen. I am busy shooting, and my job is to have my eye in the
viewfinder. I admit that I can usually see some light from screen, so
I am aware that something is being displayed. But a lot of
photographers are secure enough in their skills that they aren't
checking the screen on a regular basis.