About Zoom Lens for Nikon D70

Old July 27th 04, 06:34 PM
Jim

Default About Zoom Lens for Nikon D70

Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.

Friend of mine has a Tamron AF28-300 that will work on a digital camera and
at under $400 sounds good.

Can anybody comment on the Tamron? Or some other lens in the 28-200/300
range?

Please, no flames, it's tough enough moving from the 35mm world trying to
figure out all the lens descriptions.

Jim from Hilton Head
--
Remove the obvious to reply.

Old July 27th 04, 07:02 PM
Sjo

"Jim" schreef in bericht
Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.

Friend of mine has a Tamron AF28-300 that will work on a digital camera

and
at under $400 sounds good.

Can anybody comment on the Tamron? Or some other lens in the 28-200/300
range?

Please, no flames, it's tough enough moving from the 35mm world trying to
figure out all the lens descriptions.

Jim from Hilton Head
--
Remove the obvious to reply.

Hi Jim,

You could concider the Simga 70-300 APO Makro Super II. From what I've
heared is this lens good value for money (it's not a super lens, but it does
the job). Or the some more expensive Nikon 70-300 D ED. Together with the
kitlens you've got a nice area covered with one of those. If it need to be
one lens you could concider the Tamron 28-300 3.5-6.3 XR, but personally I
would keep the kit lens for the "under 70mm" range (wide angle is nice).

Good luck.

Sjo

Old July 27th 04, 09:16 PM
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:34:10 -0400, Jim
wrote:

Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.

Friend of mine has a Tamron AF28-300 that will work on a digital camera and
at under $400 sounds good.

Can anybody comment on the Tamron? Or some other lens in the 28-200/300
range?

Please, no flames, it's tough enough moving from the 35mm world trying to
figure out all the lens descriptions.

Not a flame, but if you are looking at less-than-top quality, i.e. not
better than the kit lens, why not keep the kit lens for shorter than
70 mm?

You will get better for the money with a 70-200 than with a 28-200.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Nuke the gay whales for Jesus" -- anon T-shirt

Old July 27th 04, 10:47 PM
Andrew Koenig

"Jim" wrote in message

Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.

How do you figure $1400 for a Nikon 28-200? $300 is a more realistic price
estimate for that lens.