Two questions

Old September 18th 15, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Two questions

On 2015-09-18 14:49:03 +0000, android said:

In article ,
"Mayayana" wrote:

| | He learns, you don't.
|
| | Mayayana 1
| | nospammy 0
| |
| | She...
|
| ? No. Mayayana is a usenet pen name. It means
| "vehicle of illusion" in Sanskrit. That seemed both
| suitable and appropriately unique at the time. What
| I didn't realize, though, was that in the world of
| Latin-rooted languages it looks like "Maryanne",
| or perhaps the name of a sultry Spanish nymphet.
|
| I'm afraid I'm neither sultry nor a nymphet.
|
| No one said that you were...

Did I misunderstand? You said "She." I'm not a she.
Is that clear enough? ...I can't speak for nospam.

I understand that you have made the choice to not define yourself as a
"she"...

So we have established that Mayayana's last isn't Jenner.

....er, last name...

Savageduck

Old September 18th 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:08:32 -0400, "PAS"
wrote:

Rather than using a hub, I added a card with five USB 3 ports to my
system. My motherboard has only two USB 3 ports and no header on the
board for front case USB 3 ports. The card I added gave me five
additional USB 3 ports on the back and has a connection to plug the lead
from the front case USB 3 ports.

I did the same sort of thing. Nospam is certainly right about a couple
of things regarding this: There are ****ty hubs out there, like
everything else, but more importantly, there is no way for the
consumer to know if he's getting a good one, or total crap. It's not
like anyone reviews hubs, and when I walk through Fry's, all I see are
unknown, or little known brands. If I saw something like an Asus hub,
I'd feel a lot better about it.

And over the years, I've even had problems with USB ports on the
computer. But we're talking about Windows, and then there's possibly
poor implementations by the mobo mfr's.

The most common problem I've had with hubs - and card readers - is an
intermittent connection at the hub for the cable going to the PC.
Old September 18th 15, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Did I misunderstand? You said "She." I'm not a she.
| Is that clear enough? ...I can't speak for nospam.
|
| I understand that you have made the choice to not define yourself as a
| "she"...

You're not a big fan of clarity, are you?
I understand that there are some politically
correct transgender circles where the number
of sexes is open to question. And some people
believe that we have a contitutional right not
to be limited by reality's constraints -- be
it gender or anything else. But I think it's safe
to say that most people would agree there are
two sexes. I'm not a she. That means I'm a he.
I'm a man, not a woman. It has nothing to do
with "defining". It's a distinction that a 3-year-old
understands without needing to be told.

But... who knows? We've spent 50-odd posts
debating whether there's any connection between
mouse movement and CPU. I suppose it wouldn't
be any less productive to spend another 50
debating why you need me to be a woman, whether
gender truly exists, or whether gender may by
just a combination of stubborn, outdated, 20th
century preconceptions and pesky hormonal
urges.

Old September 18th 15, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| So we have established that Mayayana's last isn't Jenner.
|
| ...er, last name...

Yeah, but the real question is, was the CPU
used to figure that out, or did the mouse do it?

Old September 18th 15, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-18 15:28:56 +0000, Bill W said:

The most common problem I've had with hubs - and card readers - is an
intermittent connection at the hub for the cable going to the PC.

Agreed!
There are functional hubs, there are good hubs, and there are "why did
I bother?" hubs, and there are bad male USB plugs on many of the budget
cables.

Regarding card readers, I am fortunate enough to have FW800 on this Mac
and a SanDisk FW800 CF reader (now discontinued), and a built-in SD
reader, fortunately with my 2010 Mac it is still located on the side
rather than awkwardly on the back as with the newer Macs.

Savageduck

Old September 18th 15, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-18 15:40:22 +0000, "Mayayana" said:

| So we have established that Mayayana's last isn't Jenner.
|
| ...er, last name...

Yeah, but the real question is, was the CPU
used to figure that out, or did the mouse do it?

If we get down to the nitty-gritty, without a CPU, you are without a computer.

Savageduck

Old September 18th 15, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

wrote:

[...]

I suppose the same can be said for the PCI-E cards, there are names we
don't recognize and we're left to wonder how good they are. I bought an
Orico card after doing some research and locating drivers for it both on
Orico's site and VIA's (it has a VIA chipset). It works fine -
installed the card and the drivers with no hassle and the transfer
speeds are what they should be.

Old September 18th 15, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Back in the old days (before nospam was born!),

you have no idea when i was born.

Based on your online persona and total lack of social skills, I simply
assumed you were still living in your grandmother's basement, and
flipping burgers to earn just enough money to buy the latest video games.

you know what they say about assumptions
Old September 18th 15, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

did you try to identify the actual cause?

Yes. When changing where it is plugged in eliminates the problem, that
identifies the source of the problem.

that *eliminates* the problem. it does not *identify* it.

as i said, you could have replaced the computer which would have also
eliminated the problem. in your world, that would have meant the
computer was the problem.
Old September 18th 15, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

cursor position information is maintained by the hardware
controlling the cursor, not the cpu.

Now we have hardware controlling stuff. Magic dust anyone? Clue:
hardware doesn't *do* anything.

Incidentally, I've written *loads* of protected mode interrupt
handlers. And even when a processor wants to get a byte from a port
(which involves proc clocks) it does it in an interrupt, otherwise
it would need a dedicated thread - read processor.

You really know *nothing* about this.

Did your trackball controllers run in their own little world away
from the processor?

They do. Most modern graphics cards have support for hardware cursor, meaning
that when you move your input device, the cursor is drawn on screen by the
GPU, directly in the frame buffer, not something calculated and handled by the
CPU. Software can poll and track the cursor position, but the actual displaying of
the cursor on screen is handled by the GPU in hardware.

the problem is that he's not using modern hardware and doesn't
understand any of the advancements that have happened in the past
couple of decades. all he knows is interrupt handlers.