Florida birding habitat after Hurricam Charley

Old August 17th 04, 05:48 PM
Sam

But for me, I feel lucky to have Charley take that little jog to the
east. I
hate to think what Pinellas (or we) would have looked like if it had
continued on the path they thought it would take. Sorry Punta Gorda,
Orlando
and others!

You think you are lucky, we have a house in Clearwater AND Orlando. The
house in Orlando had one tree limb broke.

Sam

Old August 19th 04, 04:00 AM

Paul,
Thanks for the update. My main concern was for the devastation
to habitat and the loss of wildlife and impact on future
wildlife. Photo ops are a distant concern. The news had shown
a lot of damage to structures, but it is hard to tell what
has happened to native habitat. Art Morris has reported no
major structural damage but a tree is leaning on his house and
he is without power. Good luck to everyone in Florida.

Roger

PWW wrote:
Charley hit at a time when most of the birds that Photographers care about
were dispersed throughout Florida and the Eastern USA and not in the
Hurricane's path.

From what I know, Ding Darling probably sustained some damage but I doubt it
will effect any impact on the birds, when they come back in the dry winter
season. Maybe it will affect photographers ability to go and shoot there but
we will have to wait and see. As of right now they are not allowing ANYONE
on Sanibel or Captiva. ???

The Venice Rookery also was at a low time for nesting and Venice did not
have a lot of damage, it was on the weak side of the storm and far enough
away to not be hurt very bad if any. As an example Venice did not lose
electric or Phone service.

Now the Burrowing Owls of Port Charlotte might have taken a big hit. Charley
did blow through there pretty bad. But I am not that familiar with the
nesting and habitats of these small owls.

We were in the area that was supposed to be a direct hit (Pinellas County)
until Charley took a slight turn to the east about 4 to 6 hours before it
was to slam into us. Because of mandatory evacuations, thousands of Pinellas
residents drove east for two hours to stay in Orland to miss the force of
the Hurricane (not us), and then lo and behold, Orlando was hit with the eye
of Charley. And Pinellas had maybe a 1/4 inch of rain and mostly sunshine
the entire time. Even now some areas in Orlando are still without Electric
and phone service since Charley.

It will be months to be able to evaluate the impacts of Charley. But I
believe it will not have much of an impact of photographers sites.

But for me, I feel lucky to have Charley take that little jog to the east. I
hate to think what Pinellas (or we) would have looked like if it had
continued on the path they thought it would take. Sorry Punta Gorda, Orlando
and others!

Paul

Old August 19th 04, 01:34 PM
PWW

Roger
Charley did have heavy destruction but it was in a relative very narrow
path. So unless it hit during a heavy nesting time (which it did not) or a
specific endangered habitat (like the Burrowing Owls in Port Charlotte) I
really don't see much of an impact on Florida's wildlife.

A few years ago Hurricane Andrew hit Everglades NP a lot harder than Charley
hit, and today the Everglades did not incur much wildlife impact from
Andrew. AFAIK

Also Hurricanes have been going through Florida for all of recorded history
and even before that. So I believe wildlife has adapted to it pretty well.
It might even provide some habitat rejuvenation for future years.

Now I don't want to start another Eco Fight here but, the Wildlife habitat
in Florida IS AT MUCH greater risks from Florida's constant exploding
population than almost any natural disaster, something like more than 800
people EVERY SINGLE DAY move into Florida. And they need homes, shopping
malls, Movie theaters, Schools, Water, Electric, Golf Courses and so on.

I personally know of nesting sites for shorebirds that kept getting pushed
into smaller and small parts of a island because of new construction until
one year they built a condominium on the last part of the island and I do
not know where the shorebirds went after that. Not very much natural beach
shoreline is available anymore. In fact some shorebirds have taken to trying
to nest on top of buildings with large flat roofs like Home Depots, because
of the loss of habitat. But there are problems with overheating and flooded
rooftops for the nest up on the roofs. There are a lot more examples of
where Humans want to live or let their dogs run free in the same places
wildlife has been living and nesting for thousands of years. Unfortunately
the wildlife that we are displacing is a lot less adaptable then we humans.
I will get off my soapbox now. Please don't start a Eco fight here.

PWW
--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,

PWW wrote:
Charley hit at a time when most of the birds that Photographers care about
were dispersed throughout Florida and the Eastern USA and not in the
Hurricane's path.

From what I know, Ding Darling probably sustained some damage but I doubt it

Old August 28th 04, 03:58 PM
PWW

Here is a newspaper article about Ding Darling and the damage from Charley

http://www.news-press.com/news/local...mangroves.html

PWW