Depth of Field

Old January 23rd 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Paseur[_3_]

Default Depth of Field

Colleagues: I'm looking for an easy, arithmetic way to determine the amount
of an image that is in focus. What would be really nice would be a
spreadsheet or chart that says (for example) at f/4 with the camera focused
at an object 6 feet away, everything from 5 feet to 7 feet is sharp. And
then at f/8, everything from 2 feet to 24 feet is sharp. Etc.

Is there a formula or a reference resource like this somewhere?

TIA, ~Ray
Old January 23rd 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JimKramer

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...l/dofcalc.html
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...calculator.htm
Old January 23rd 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DaveS[_2_]

"JimKramer" wrote:
On Jan 23, 9:48 am, Ray Paseur
wrote:
Colleagues: I'm looking for an easy, arithmetic way to determine the
amount
of an image that is in focus. What would be really nice would be a
spreadsheet or chart that says (for example) at f/4 with the camera
focused
at an object 6 feet away, everything from 5 feet to 7 feet is sharp. And
then at f/8, everything from 2 feet to 24 feet is sharp. Etc.

Is there a formula or a reference resource like this somewhere?

TIA, ~Ray

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...l/dofcalc.html
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...calculator.htm

I think I just figured out why all my birds wear little fur coats... :O)

Have fun,
Dave

Old January 23rd 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

DaveS wrote:
"JimKramer" wrote:
On Jan 23, 9:48 am, Ray Paseur
wrote:
Colleagues: I'm looking for an easy, arithmetic way to determine the
amount
of an image that is in focus. What would be really nice would be a
spreadsheet or chart that says (for example) at f/4 with the camera
focused
at an object 6 feet away, everything from 5 feet to 7 feet is sharp. And
then at f/8, everything from 2 feet to 24 feet is sharp. Etc.

Is there a formula or a reference resource like this somewhere?

TIA, ~Ray

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...l/dofcalc.html
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...calculator.htm

I think I just figured out why all my birds wear little fur coats... :O)

LOL!
Old January 23rd 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DaveS[_2_]

"Paul Furman" wrote:
DaveS wrote:
"JimKramer" wrote:
On Jan 23, 9:48 am, Ray Paseur
wrote:
Colleagues: I'm looking for an easy, arithmetic way to determine the
amount
of an image that is in focus. What would be really nice would be a
spreadsheet or chart that says (for example) at f/4 with the camera
focused
at an object 6 feet away, everything from 5 feet to 7 feet is sharp.
And
then at f/8, everything from 2 feet to 24 feet is sharp. Etc.

Is there a formula or a reference resource like this somewhere?

TIA, ~Ray
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...l/dofcalc.html
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...calculator.htm

I think I just figured out why all my birds wear little fur coats... :O)

LOL!

Here, I'll give you more fodder...

To cure my "furry bird" syndrome, I went out and got 1.4x teleconvertor for
my 70-300 lens. I haven't taken an in focus shot since. Now I think I know
why. Stupid P button...

Soon, I shall Hawks like yours! :O)

Have fun,
Dave

Old January 23rd 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ali

Good question, but it's not that simple (circle of confusion and all that).
It depends on the size of the final image too.

Do you have DOF markers on your lens? If so, this will give you a rough
guide

Also worth noting that if you are using big aperture lenses, what you see
through the viewfinder is not necessarily true.

Old January 23rd 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Paseur[_5_]

JimKramer wrote in
:

On Jan 23, 9:48*am, Ray Paseur
wrote:
Colleagues: I'm looking for an easy, arithmetic way to determine the
amoun

of an image that is in focus. *What would be really nice would be a
spreadsheet or chart that says (for example) at f/4 with the camera
focuse

at an object 6 feet away, everything from 5 feet to 7 feet is sharp.
*An

then at f/8, everything from 2 feet to 24 feet is sharp. *Etc.

Is there a formula or a reference resource like this somewhere?

TIA, ~Ray

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...l/dofcalc.html
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...calculator.htm

Cool! Thanks.
Old January 23rd 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

Answer: Kodak Master Photoguide

Kodak produced cardboard devices with a cardboard dial that could be
set to focal length, f number and dustance. Kodak produced them for
about 50 years. You probably can find a used more recent Kodak Master
Photoguide which may contain a Depth of Field chart in it.

Old January 24th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pat

On Jan 23, 9:48 am, Ray Paseur
wrote:
Colleagues: I'm looking for an easy, arithmetic way to determine the amount
of an image that is in focus. What would be really nice would be a
spreadsheet or chart that says (for example) at f/4 with the camera focused
at an object 6 feet away, everything from 5 feet to 7 feet is sharp. And
then at f/8, everything from 2 feet to 24 feet is sharp. Etc.

Is there a formula or a reference resource like this somewhere?

TIA, ~Ray

This hurts my memory to reconstruct the thoughts, but IIRC, when you
study the DOF charts you come to a startling revelation. You think of
telephotos as having shallow DOF and short lenses as having relatively
bigger DOF, but in reality, they have the same DOF.

Say you shoot a scene with a 300mm lens. Then you take off the lens,
and put on a 28mm lens. You walk forward until you have exactly the
same framing (and you are using the same f-stop). What you find is
the same DOF. It's one of those "strange but true" things.

Anyway, good luck with your DOF project, whatever it may be.
Old January 24th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
acl

On Jan 24, 4:29 am, Pat wrote:
On Jan 23, 9:48 am, Ray Paseur
wrote:

[...]

That's true, if you frame the same, and use the same f/stop, you get
the same depth of field (to within some limits, I imagine, but maybe
not). Easy enough to test if you have a zoom lens. I think the reason
most of us find this surprising is that we use different focal length
lenses in different ways, so never get to notice it.

P & S and depth-of-field Jeff Layman Digital Photography 16 November 9th 07 05:54 PM
Depth of Field ron Digital SLR Cameras 4 April 28th 07 11:15 AM
Depth of field Armando Digital Photography 20 November 19th 05 09:01 PM
Depth of field rda Digital Photography 12 January 1st 05 06:29 PM
Depth of field rda Digital Photography 0 January 1st 05 12:42 PM