D200 shutter release options

Old September 3rd 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default D200 shutter release options

Can anyone comment further on the wired remote options below? I didn't
like the infrared thing for the D70 and would prefer a wired remote
shutter release.

I also do not understand why such a thing should cost $130 are the extra
features important? The Dot-Line brand has a shorter cord, still it's
hard to justify an additional $90. I see the Nikon specifically says it
works in bulb mode, do the others not? Intervalometer and timer are
built into the camera and unnecessary. See the last one for a 36" cord
and some options that are unclear to me.

Paul Furman wrote:

B&H shows 2 options.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=p roductlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=d200+remote& image.x=0&image.y=0

Nikon MC-36 Multi-Function Remote
Nikon Price : $ 129.95
Shipping Cost
MC-36 Multi-Function Remote for Nikon Pro SLR Cameras MC-36
Multi-Function Remote
Mfr # 4917 • B&H # NIMC36
Availability : Back-ordered

(33.5" Cord)
The Nikon MC-36 Multi-Function remote provides a simple trigger function
and can activate the bulb function on Nikon SLR cameras. It also
functions as a timer remote and can be programmed to function as an
intervalometer. It connects to Nikon SLR cameras that are equipped with
the 10-pin remote socket.

Dot Line Remote Release
Dot Line Price : $ 39.95
Shipping Cost
Remote Release for Nikon D200 & D2x SLR Digital Cameras Remote Release
Mfr # DL1486 • B&H # DORRND200
Availability : In Stock

(2-foot cord)

Similar offerings at: http://www.adorama.com they mention specifically
the adorama brand model has a 36-inch cable. Both do not have the Nikon
remote in stock, nor extra batteries.

http://www.adorama.com/ZVCRNKD200.html?searchinfo=d200%20shutter&item_no= 2
ZigView Mfr# RC06 SKU: ZVCRNKD200
ZigView RC-06 Cable Release, for Nikon D200 Digital SLR with the
Zigview-R Digital Viewfinder
$25.95
"Digital Viewfinder"????

http://www.adorama.com/CZDRD200.html?searchinfo=d200%20shutter%20release& item_no=2
Adorama Digital Remote Release with 36" Cable for Nikon D200 & D2x
Digital Cameras
$34.95
(36" long)
"has a momentary release as well as a locking position for time release"

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old September 3rd 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don Wiss

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:27:56 GMT, Paul Furman wrote:

http://www.adorama.com/ZVCRNKD200.html?searchinfo=d200%20shutter&item_no= 2
ZigView Mfr# RC06 SKU: ZVCRNKD200
ZigView RC-06 Cable Release, for Nikon D200 Digital SLR with the
Zigview-R Digital Viewfinder
$25.95
"Digital Viewfinder"????

This is the Digital Viewfinder:

http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/de...oductid=AZV103

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old September 3rd 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:27:56 GMT, Paul Furman wrote:

http://www.adorama.com/ZVCRNKD200.html?searchinfo=d200%20shutter&item_no= 2
ZigView Mfr# RC06 SKU: ZVCRNKD200
ZigView RC-06 Cable Release, for Nikon D200 Digital SLR with the
Zigview-R Digital Viewfinder
$25.95
"Digital Viewfinder"????

This is the Digital Viewfinder:

http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/de...oductid=AZV103

OK so that one only works with the viewfinder attached.

It seems like this one is the best deal if it isn't cheap or troublesome:
http://www.adorama.com/CZDRD200.html?searchinfo=d200%20shutter%20release& item_no=2
Adorama Digital Remote Release with 36" Cable for Nikon D200 & D2x
Digital Cameras
$34.95
(36" long)
"has a momentary release as well as a locking position for time release"

I guess that quote means it 'can activate the bulb function' as the
Nikon description phrases it and the Dot Line version cannot. The Nikon
one has an LCD screen, I don't need all that & more battery consumption
to worry about but would like to be able to click the shutter open &
clickk again when I've seen lighning or fireworks for example.

For the record, here's what the manual says:

The D200 is equipped with a ten-pin remote
terminal for remote control and automatic photography.
The terminal is provided with a cap,
which protects the contacts when the terminal
is not in use. The following accessories can be
used (cable lengths are given in parentheses; all fi gures are approximate):

♦ MC-22 Remote Cord (1 m/3 ft. 3 in.): Remote shutter release with blue,
yellow,
and black ter mi nals for connection to a remote shutter-triggering
device, allowing control via sound or electronic signals.

♦ MC-30 Remote Cord (80 cm/2 ft. 7 in.): Remote shutter release; can be
used to reduce cam era shake or keep the shutter open during a time
exposure.

[note the following item is the one available for $130]
♦ MC-36 Remote Cord (85 cm/2 ft. 9 in.): Remote shutter release; can be
used to reduce cam era shake or keep the shutter open during a time
exposure. Equipped with back-lit control panel, shutter-release lock for
use in bulb photography, and timer that beeps at one-second intervals.

♦ MC-21 Extension Cord (3 m/9 ft. 10 in.): Can be connected to MC-series
20, 22, 23, 25, 30, or 36.

♦ MC-23 Connecting Cord (40 cm/1 ft. 4 in.): Connects two cameras for
simultaneous operation.

♦ MC-25 Adapter Cord (20 cm/8 in.): Ten-pin to two-pin adapter cord for
connection to de vic es with two-pin terminals, including the MW-2 radio
control set, MT-2 intervalometer, and ML-2 modulite control set.

♦ MC-35 GPS Adapter Cord (35 cm/1 ft. 2 in.): Connects camera to
compatible GPS devices via PC cable supplied by manufacturer of GPS
device, allowing latitude, longitude, altitude, and UTC (Coordinated
Universal Time) to be recorded with photographs ( 96).

♦ ML-3 Modulite Control Set: Allows infrared remote control at ranges of
up to 8 m (26 ft.).

hmm, I wonder if my D70 infrared remote works?

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old September 3rd 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don Wiss

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 21:25:49 GMT, Paul Furman wrote:

? MC-30 Remote Cord (80 cm/2 ft. 7 in.): Remote shutter release; can be
used to reduce cam era shake or keep the shutter open during a time
exposure.

This is a middle priced option for you:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...7EDZ7?v=glance

See the reader review.

(I need one myself. Not having a remote I wasn't able to get fireworks last
July 4th. I think I'll go for the MC-36. I just sent an e-mail to my work
e-mail as a reminder to call a contact and order one on Tuesday.)

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old September 4th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 21:25:49 GMT, Paul Furman wrote:

? MC-30 Remote Cord (80 cm/2 ft. 7 in.): Remote shutter release; can be
used to reduce cam era shake or keep the shutter open during a time
exposure.

This is a middle priced option for you:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...7EDZ7?v=glance

See the reader review.

Ah, that review was particularly helpful. Sounds to me from that like
'timed bulb release' is doable even with an old film camera version of
Nikon's simplest cable release so I'm guessing this isn't really an
issue for the third party models.

Old September 5th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. com...
Can anyone comment further on the wired remote options below? I didn't
like the infrared thing for the D70 and would prefer a wired remote
shutter release.

I also do not understand why such a thing should cost $130 are the extra
features important? The Dot-Line brand has a shorter cord, still it's hard
to justify an additional $90. I see the Nikon specifically says it works
in bulb mode, do the others not? Intervalometer and timer are built into
the camera and unnecessary. See the last one for a 36" cord and some
options that are unclear to me.

I don't understand why they just can't put threads in the shutter release or
around the shutter release like the old Nikons. Everything has to be
electronic now, but when "you" take the photo you still have to physically
push the button. Why not allow for an old fashioned cable release?

Old September 5th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

Paul Furman wrote:

♦ ML-3 Modulite Control Set: Allows infrared remote control at ranges of
up to 8 m (26 ft.).

hmm, I wonder if my D70 infrared remote works?

Your question made me try it. No, it doesn't work, not on either
channel. The ML-3 is a two channel infrared receiver with a transmitter
that looks like a small TV remote. The receiver, unfortunately,
occupies your flash shoe and has a cord that plugs into the remote port
on the D200. Actually, it does not have to sit on the flash shoe in
order to work, so you could mount it on a bracket or tape it somewhere
inconvenient. It is a big receiver, about 1 1/4 inch cube. The
transmitter is big, too, but it has a tripod mount, can be switched to
either channel, has a programmable delay, a bulb mode, and can be set
for the camera to be triggered automatically when something interrupts
the beam. It also has a test mode so that you can see if it is working.
So it does a lot more than the D70 remote did.

Old September 5th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

Bought an Adidt relese from ebay, $9.95 + shipping. Cheap little thing
but the same price as a cable release. They sell 3ft and 10ft models as
well as a radio controled release for about $100. Mine has worked fine.
Some others on dpreview say theirs has fallen apart. But Nikon releases
are as rare or rarer than the 18-200. This has satified my needs. Have
done several hundred shots with the one I have. I searched for D200
remote release.

Tom

Old September 6th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don Wiss

On 5 Sep 2006 05:57:07 -0700, tomm42 wrote:

But Nikon releases
are as rare or rarer than the 18-200. .... I searched for D200
remote release.

Not that rare. I phoned Unique Photo today. He said the MC-36s come and go.
They had seven in stock this afternoon. I bought one. He expects the other
six to be gone by the end of the week.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old September 6th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Sheldon wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote

Can anyone comment further on the wired remote options below? I didn't
like the infrared thing for the D70 and would prefer a wired remote
shutter release.

I also do not understand why such a thing should cost $130 are the extra
features important? The Dot-Line brand has a shorter cord, still it's hard
to justify an additional $90. I see the Nikon specifically says it works
in bulb mode, do the others not? Intervalometer and timer are built into
the camera and unnecessary. See the last one for a 36" cord and some
options that are unclear to me.

I don't understand why they just can't put threads in the shutter release or
around the shutter release like the old Nikons. Everything has to be
electronic now, but when "you" take the photo you still have to physically
push the button. Why not allow for an old fashioned cable release?

I'm with you man! Just click the freakin button.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1