Why can't Nikons newer AF bodies meter w/ MF lenses?

Old December 20th 04, 04:54 PM
JohnG

Default Why can't Nikons newer AF bodies meter w/ MF lenses?

Avoid Rolland Elliot !!! He had my lens for seven months, during which
he told me he sent it to me (it never came, no tracking number, no
insurance). Then he said it must have gotten lost in the mail, he would
find another lens to put a chip in for me. I called him, he said he
found one and it would be done soon. Another long wait. Called again,
he said he had sent it to me, gave me a bogus tracking number. Called
him back, he said he would e-mail me with the correct tracking number,
no e-mail. He never e-mails or calls a person back. He leads you on and
on until you finally just give up. A very sleazy and slippery
charactor. I'm sure you will find many more unhappy customers on
Photo.net. I'm going to tell my insurance company that the lens was
stolen. The $100 labor he charged me is gone too. Lost a really good
macro lens and $100 to this charlaten. Beware, stay way!! John Gaasland.

Old December 20th 04, 05:19 PM
Alan Browne

JohnG wrote:
snipped

Oh, I guess you're really a troll? One such message was enough. Now you've
destroyed its credibility. And yours.

Old December 20th 04, 05:19 PM
Alan Browne

Old December 20th 04, 05:51 PM
Chris

Alan Browne wrote:
JohnG wrote:
snipped

Oh, I guess you're really a troll? One such message was enough. Now you've
destroyed its credibility. And yours.

Well, part-troll may be more accurate, Alan. Rolland does have a mixed
reputation with the people who post at Nikonians.org. Some love his work
and have received their lenses in good shape and in good time. Others
have received their lenses well beyond a reasonalbe time and in
not-so-good shape.

The original poster may have some kernel of truth in his story, but the
excessive postings make one not care.

However, do take your lenses to Rolland with a bit of caution.

As for a related question, the F4 will meter with all mountable Nikkors
(center weight) and all AI and newer nikkors (matrix). An AI'd lens will
matrix meter ONLY IF it was a full AI conversion and a lens speed post was
added; these are reported to be rare, however. Strangely enough
(exceptions are strange), the F4 _will_ matrix meter with the latest 500mm
reflex-nikkor (which is graded as AI) even though it has no lens speed
post. *shrug*

Chris