New Mamiya RZ 67 Pro IID introduced!

Old July 22nd 04, 10:02 AM
Severi Salminen

Default New Mamiya RZ 67 Pro IID introduced!

Check out this:

http://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/home/camera/rz67iid/

Could anyone translate the specs, my Japanese is a bit rusty?

PS. If this is old news, then...translate still as it's new to me

Regards,
Severi S.
Old July 22nd 04, 10:40 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Severi Salminen" wrote:
Check out this:

http://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/home/camera/rz67iid/

Could anyone translate the specs, my Japanese is a bit rusty?

A serious translation would set you back 5000 Yen every 200 words of
Englishg. Gets expensive real quick.

PS. If this is old news, then...translate still as it's new to me

It's fairly new news, I think. My brief understanding is that it's a (more)
digital-friendly RZ.

The following may be new. (I'm not an RZ user.)

Revolving back, which I seem to remember the old RZ lacked (???).

Backs with two film counters, so there's always a film counter in sight.

Concentric rough and fine focussing knobs.

Intermediate shutter speeds can be set.

Flashing lights in the viewfinder.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old July 22nd 04, 08:27 PM
Balderdash

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Severi Salminen" wrote:
Check out this:

http://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/home/camera/rz67iid/

Could anyone translate the specs, my Japanese is a bit rusty?

A serious translation would set you back 5000 Yen every 200 words of
Englishg. Gets expensive real quick.

PS. If this is old news, then...translate still as it's new to me

It's fairly new news, I think. My brief understanding is that it's a

(more)
digital-friendly RZ.

The following may be new. (I'm not an RZ user.)

Revolving back, which I seem to remember the old RZ lacked (???).

Backs with two film counters, so there's always a film counter in sight.

Concentric rough and fine focussing knobs.

Intermediate shutter speeds can be set.

Flashing lights in the viewfinder.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Does this mean that affordable digital backs for 6x7's are in our future?
Or are they going to market a newer "more RZ friendly" digital back with
more bells&whistles (and at an even "" unbelievably"" higher price?)
What's the advantage?

Call me a pessimist.... with three RZ's. Arrrgh...
Jim W.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 22nd 04, 09:01 PM
Helge Nareid

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:40:46 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:

"Severi Salminen" wrote:
Check out this:

http://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/home/camera/rz67iid/

Could anyone translate the specs, my Japanese is a bit rusty?

A serious translation would set you back 5000 Yen every 200 words of
Englishg. Gets expensive real quick.

PS. If this is old news, then...translate still as it's new to me

It's fairly new news, I think. My brief understanding is that it's a (more)
digital-friendly RZ.

I believe I have seen some news to that effect recently, it could be
the British Journal of Photography - (pause) - yes it is
http://db.riskwaters.com/public/show...l?page=166439:

[quote begins]
:The Japanese manufacturer is introducing a new version of its RZ67
:Pro medium format model, which integrates a Mamiya Serial
:Communication for Exchange (MSCE) bus - first seen in 2001 on the
:645 AFD camera - that interfaces directly with third party digital
:backs for seamless operation
[quote ends]

Apart from that, there appears to be no major changes to the basic
camera as it would appear to somebody using film.

The following may be new. (I'm not an RZ user.)

Revolving back, which I seem to remember the old RZ lacked (???).

No, one of the best points of both the RZ 67 and its predecessor RB 67
has always been the revolving backs. Wonderful when you're working on
a tripod in a studio environment (which is where this style of camera
excels IMHO).

--
- Helge Nareid
Nordmann i utlendighet, Aberdeen, Scotland

Old July 23rd 04, 10:22 PM
Randall Ainsworth

No, one of the best points of both the RZ 67 and its predecessor RB 67
has always been the revolving backs. Wonderful when you're working on
a tripod in a studio environment (which is where this style of camera
excels IMHO).

Assuming that you remember to rotate the back. I didn't forget too
many times. :-)

Old July 24th 04, 12:15 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Q.G. de Bakker
wrote:

Randall Ainsworth wrote:

Assuming that you remember to rotate the back. I didn't forget too
many times. :-)

Yeah... they should make a 7x7 back, and let you crop to a rectangular
format later.

Well, I was used to Hasselblad for so many years that a few times I'd
get into getting the lighting set, etc. and forget to rotate the back
to the correct position.
Old July 24th 04, 10:17 AM
Helge Nareid

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:22:58 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
wrote:

No, one of the best points of both the RZ 67 and its predecessor RB 67
has always been the revolving backs. Wonderful when you're working on
a tripod in a studio environment (which is where this style of camera
excels IMHO).

Assuming that you remember to rotate the back. I didn't forget too
many times. :-)

Only too true, at least on the RB 67, been there, done that ;-(

The other classic problem was that the RB 67 needs separate movements
for cocking the shutter and advancing the film - I've missed a few
shots because of that one as well.

I seem to recall that the RZ 67 has a masking device in the
viewfinder to indicate the state of the back, but I've never used one
for real work, and it is too long since last I saw one.