Digital SLRs and macro photography

Old December 26th 05, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Digital SLRs and macro photography

Melanie L Chang wrote:
My current digital camera is a Nikon Coolpix 950, which is, shall we say,
a bit long in the tooth. The reason I chose this camera was its
exceptional (for the time) macro capability. I got it primarily for
research, but ended up having a lot of fun with it.

I'd like to upgrade to a digital SLR, and being happy with Nikon am
looking at the D70s or D50. I'm concerned primarily with all-around
photography and action shots, but how do the macro capabilities of these
cameras stand up? Is their out-of-the-box performance good with the
standard (kit) lenses, or will I need to buy additional lenses to be able
to take the same sort of macro photographs as I did with the CP 950? I
used it primarily to take pictures of small osteological features, and of
course the requisite bugs.

Would I be better off looking at other digital SLRs? I'm thinking a
higher-end prosumer type camera, with ~$1000 being the top of my price range.

Thanks, Melanie

--
Melanie Lee Chang *
Canine Behavioral Genetics Project

You wan't Macro?
I'll give you Macro.
Look at the Canon S2 IS.
How does a close focusing distance of 0" strike you?
How does 12X Zoom strike you?
How does Image Stabilization strike you?
How does $435 strike you?
It is a good, all around, all purpose camera.
See: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s2is.html
Bob Williams

Old December 26th 05, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bob Williams wrote:
[]
You wan't Macro?
I'll give you Macro.
Look at the Canon S2 IS.
How does a close focusing distance of 0" strike you?

It strikes me as a marketing gimmick. Completely useless, if you want to
illuminate the subject properly or keep the lens in good condition. And
look how bad the macro image distortion is compared to the OP's Nikon 950.

For macro, a proper macro lens (extra purchase) on a DSLR will work well,
and may provide a longer working distance. In the point-and-shoot ZLR
cameras, the Panasonic FZ5 has macro in its 432mm zoom setting, providing
a working distance of about 1 metre.

David

Old December 26th 05, 10:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

David J Taylor wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:
[]

You wan't Macro?
I'll give you Macro.
Look at the Canon S2 IS.
How does a close focusing distance of 0" strike you?

It strikes me as a marketing gimmick. Completely useless, if you want to
illuminate the subject properly or keep the lens in good condition. And
look how bad the macro image distortion is compared to the OP's Nikon 950.

For macro, a proper macro lens (extra purchase) on a DSLR will work well,
and may provide a longer working distance. In the point-and-shoot ZLR
cameras, the Panasonic FZ5 has macro in its 432mm zoom setting, providing
a working distance of about 1 metre.

David

Yes, of course, the 0" Super Macro feature is indeed a marketing gimmick.
I mentioned it only to indicate that there is no limit to the S2's close
focusing ability. And it is a good all purpose camera.
I, personally, was an early adopter of the ZLR, Panasonic FZ15 and have
really enjoyed it immensely. I probably should have also mentioned the
several Panasonic FZ series cameras such as the FZ5 which you mentioned.
Bob Williams

Old December 26th 05, 10:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bob Williams wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:
[]

[...]

I suspect we would both agree, though, that for the best possible results
(money no object) a DSLR with a special macro lens giving a long working
distance is the way to go. And I don't mean s simple close-up lens
screwed into an existing lens!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=12

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...on_macro.shtml

David

Old December 26th 05, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bob,

DP Review also has it as "Highly recommended".
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

Cheers,

Marcel

Old December 26th 05, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 02:17:33 -0800, Bob Williams
wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:
[]

[...]

Close focus and macro are not the same thing.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old December 27th 05, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

David J Taylor wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:

Bob Williams wrote:
[]

[...]

Absolutely! Without a doubt!
If I won the lottery, and wanted to concentrate on Macro Pix, it would
be the Canon EOS 1Ds MK.2 With a Canon MP-E 65mm Macro (1x-5X) AND a
Canon EF 180mm Macro (1X) (L glass).
See:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...categoryid=155
Bob Williams

Old December 27th 05, 07:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bill Funk wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 02:17:33 -0800, Bob Williams
wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:

Bob Williams wrote:
[]

[...]

Perhaps not, but in Canon's own specifications for the S2 IS, listed
below, they call the 0-3.9" close focusing distance "Super MACRO".

Focus Range:
Macro: 10 - 50 cm (3.9 in. to 1.6 ft.)
Super Macro: 0 - 10 cm ( 0 to 3.9 in.)
Bob Williams

Old December 27th 05, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:11:06 -0800, Bob Williams
wrote:

Bill Funk wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 02:17:33 -0800, Bob Williams
wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:

Bob Williams wrote:
[]

[...]

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
And the Corvette is a "sports car", too. :-)
Marketing being what it is, I'm very suspicious of how the
manufacturer describes its own product.