Nikon D100--Why So High?

Old November 27th 04, 05:18 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

Default Nikon D100--Why So High?

It sounds like a "whiner" post and isn't meant to be. That said, I will
admit--I actually switched to Canon largely because you can get a used 10D
for like $750-800 easily or D60 for $650-750--and the Rebel for $600-650.
Good luck getting anything that close with the Nikon D100, even with the D70
now out & it being an overall superior camera. I looked foreover hoping to
find a D100 at a similar price, and gave up trying in vain.

I got my DR now and am happy with it, especially with the Wasia hack, but I
do poke around the Fred Miranda & Rob Galibrath sites too. Someone is
selling a Nikon D100 for about $850 body-only, and everyone is acting like
it's such an outstanding deal. Meanwhile, someone else is selling a D70
body-only for $750, it was practically not even used as it was a backup
body, and that ad is barely getting a response. What gives?

I guess I'm asking--what is up to where everyone is so stir crazy over the
D100 even though it is, by my reckoning, a "lame-duck" camera ever since the
far-superior D70 has arrived?

I don't think I'm still bitter that I was unable to get a huge price break
on a D100 when I was shopping; I've actually been quite happy with my
EOS300D (DR), especially with the Wasia hack addressing so many features.
Great though the D100 is, it takes a long time to save RAW files and doesn't
have a RAW+JPEG mode and I've really come to love the DR's RAW+JPEG mode.
But it still amazes me, I guess, that people are going hog-wild over the
D100 even with the superior D70 now out.

Whatever for?

LRH

Old November 27th 04, 05:44 AM
Howard McCollister

"Larry R Harrison Jr" wrote in message
[...]

The D100 will be replaced within a matter of months with the D200- 12.2
megapixels, so I'm sure that D100 prices will be falling rapidly soon. 3
months after that, the D90 to replace the D70.

Hmc

Old November 27th 04, 09:05 AM
Siddhartha Jain

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
[...]

Same here. Got my 300D yesterday and within hours I upgraded it with
the wasia hack. The D70 looks like a really neat package but the price
difference was too much, so I opted for the 300D. If I had the extra
money, I'd probably stretch and get the 20D.

- Siddhartha

Old November 27th 04, 01:00 PM
sid derra

[...]

the d70 still is seen as the "little bro" of the d100 - i have worked with
both for a while, and since the d70 contains newer technology i really would
see them somewhat equal too. the d100 body you could've gotten on
overstock.com - brandnew - for 1049 bucks a few weeks ago. rock on.
sid

Old November 27th 04, 02:34 PM
leo

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
[...]

I had the 300D for 11 months. It did a great job for me. I have pictures
that worthwhile to enlarge to 12x18. I just sold it on ebay and am
anticipating to upgrade to 20D. If I had got the 10D in the first hand, I
wouldn't have been able to upgrade to a new 8MP DSLR.

Old November 27th 04, 03:17 PM
Howard McCollister

"sid derra" wrote in message

The D100 will be replaced within a matter of months with the D200- 12.2
megapixels, so I'm sure that D100 prices will be falling rapidly soon. 3
months after that, the D90 to replace the D70.

and those infos are based on exactly what source?

The usual source - a friend of a friend who knows the sister-in-law of a
janitor at the Nikon factory...

HMc

Old November 29th 04, 06:16 AM
Bryce

news
Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
[...]

I bet your pictures will be better with 8MP. Right?