HDR with panoramic stiching.

Old August 10th 12, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default HDR with panoramic stiching.

With panoramic shots, is it better to apply the
HDR to the photos before stitching, or afterwards?

Peter
Old August 10th 12, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-08-09 18:29:29 -0700, Peter Jason said:

With panoramic shots, is it better to apply the
HDR to the photos before stitching, or afterwards?

Peter

What you have proposed is quite complicated as there are issues with
each process completed either way.

Let us assume you are composing a panorama by stitching 5 scene shots,
each comprising of a 5 exposure HDR. Not creating 5 panoramas each at 5
different exposure levels. (though I guess that would work as well,
let's think about that later, the results might be different)

The next assumption is that you will be shooting with the assistance of
a tripod.

Given all that I would complete the HDR process on each panorama panel
having saved the adjustments for the first one as a preset in whatever
HDR software you are using. (I use NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 so that is quite
simple.)

With each of the remaining 4 panel sets complete the HDR processing by
applying the prior preset.
Now merge or stitch the 5 HDR panels to create your panorama.

I think this would be more practical than going the route of creating 5
panoramas at different exposure levels to process as a single massive
HDR. The major problem would be the RAM and scratch disc space needed
for such a large TIFF.

I have an idea or two so I am going to do a bit of experimenting of my
own, but for now I believe HRD first and then stitch is going to be the
best way to go.

Good luck!

Savageduck

Old August 10th 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Wiss

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:29:29 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

With panoramic shots, is it better to apply the
HDR to the photos before stitching, or afterwards?

I've always done it after. That is where the HDR tab is located. After the
Optimizer tab.

Old August 10th 12, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-08-09 19:54:40 -0700, Don Wiss said:

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:29:29 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

With panoramic shots, is it better to apply the
HDR to the photos before stitching, or afterwards?

I've always done it after. That is where the HDR tab is located. After the
Optimizer tab.

What image processing or HDR software are you using that has an "HDR tab"?

....and what software are you using that has an "Optimizer tab"?

I currently use NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 for HDR processing, and I make my
panorama merges with CS5.

Anyway I am going to engage myself in an experiment to explore both
methods. Results to be published soon.

Savageduck

Old August 10th 12, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:25:12 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-08-09 18:29:29 -0700, Peter Jason said:

[...]

Thanks, I use "PTGui - V8.3 64Bit" for the
sticher, and "PHOTOMATIX Pro 4 64bit" for the
HDR. I use an Olympus E5 with tripod, and a
telelens for cityscapes on a clear bright day. I
also wait for a breezy day to clear away the dust
& smog for tele shots. (600mm eq lens). I use
just a 3-bracket sequence. On some days I get
shots without the tripod by holding the camera
against a light post. Peter
Old August 10th 12, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Wiss

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Savageduck wrote:

What image processing or HDR software are you using that has an "HDR tab"?

...and what software are you using that has an "Optimizer tab"?

I use PTGui Pro.

Old August 10th 12, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 2012-08-09 19:54:40 -0700, Don Wiss said:

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:29:29 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

With panoramic shots, is it better to apply the
HDR to the photos before stitching, or afterwards?

I've always done it after. That is where the HDR tab is located. After
the
Optimizer tab.

What image processing or HDR software are you using that has an "HDR tab"?

...and what software are you using that has an "Optimizer tab"?

I currently use NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 for HDR processing, and I make my
panorama merges with CS5.

Anyway I am going to engage myself in an experiment to explore both
methods. Results to be published soon.

I have just started doing HDR in camera (3EV) then stitching.- this
works very well.

Old August 10th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article 2012080920230189814-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
What image processing or HDR software are you using that has an "HDR tab"?

...and what software are you using that has an "Optimizer tab"?

I currently use NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 for HDR processing, and I make my
panorama merges with CS5.

Anyway I am going to engage myself in an experiment to explore both
methods. Results to be published soon.

PTGUI has an HDR tab and supposedly is capable of creating HDR panos.
But I've never tried to generate an HDR pano myself.
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 10th 12, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-08-09 19:54:40 -0700, Don Wiss said:

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:29:29 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

With panoramic shots, is it better to apply the
HDR to the photos before stitching, or afterwards?

I've always done it after. That is where the HDR tab is located. After
the
Optimizer tab.

What image processing or HDR software are you using that has an "HDR tab"?

...and what software are you using that has an "Optimizer tab"?

I currently use NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 for HDR processing, and I make my
panorama merges with CS5.

Anyway I am going to engage myself in an experiment to explore both
methods. Results to be published soon.

I have just started doing HDR in camera (3EV) then stitching.- this
works very well.

I guess that would be a good way to go for HDR panos.

I don't use any in camera HDR processing. My standard HDR capture is a
5 exposure bracket -2, -1, 0, +1, +2. There are times i will use three
exposures, and sometimes as many as 9.

I have tried a few of the HDR processing products and have found that
NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 gives me the most flexibility to get results that do
not appear over cooked. That said there are times the surreal effect
can be effective, but not to the taste of all. So I try for the
different from time to time, but mostly use HDR for bringing a
different look to an image.
Here are a few examples and comparisons with the unadjusted image in
the exposure bracketed group, each trying for something a little
different.

3 shot HDR, Eastern Yosemite
http://db.tt/brdPFd1Q
5 shot HDR, Moonstone Beach
http://db.tt/XLQuMW40
5 shot HDR, AT-6
http://db.tt/ZGHuxSvJ

Savageduck

Old August 11th 12, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 10/08/2012 17:39, Savageduck wrote:
[]
[...]

Thanks for posting. At least two, if not all three, of those shots
reminded me of why I /hate/ HDR so much!
--
Cheers,
David