Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge near Toledo Ohio...

Old May 12th 04, 03:21 AM
JMac

Default Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge near Toledo Ohio...

A friend of mine, a non photographer, visited this location last weekend and said it was a wonderful place for migratory birds.

I'm not a bird photographer, can't afford the big glass, but It's only a 2 hour drive for me. Maybe with my 300L f4 and 1.4 TC I could get lucky.

My friend said there were birds all over and close to the trails. Does anyone have any direct experience with this location? What trails, locations in the refuge are better then others, or any tips or thing to see and do?

Thanks

-Jim

Old May 13th 04, 03:15 AM
Roy G. Biv

I visited the refuge in May 2001, and didn't shoot a single frame all day.
Non-photographers often don't realize just how close to the bird you have to
be in order to obtain a good image. Crane Creek is close to Ottawa, and I
think you would have much better luck getting close to your subjects at
Crane Creek on a good warbler day. But unless something has changed in the
past thre years, avoid the weekends. (That's why I was at Ottawa - the
crowds were too much for me at Crane Creek on a Saturday.) Hope this helps.
Sorry but due to spam I shall not provide a valid e-mail address. Please
reply to group with questions or comments.