Good books on photography?

Old December 12th 04, 11:30 PM
Greg Evans

Tony wrote:

The one I recommend most is
Image - Designing Effective Pictures, by Michael Freeman. It is out
of print but worth hunting down.

Amazon has a couple of used copies for $77.50. Geez! Is it really worth it
at that price, or do some of the other titles give one more "bang for the
buck"?

Old December 13th 04, 07:43 AM
Tony

That is indeed a lot of money. I guess others have discovered the book. I
got my copy for 5 bucks at a local store. You might try stores in your area
too. Most college towns have good used books shops, and the Freeman book was
used as a text in some schools - all you can lose is a bit of time.
And/Or -- Try abes, alibris or some other used books search service and
see if you can locate a better price. Also be sure to check the public
library or if there is a University with a good library in your town...
Of the books specifically photography oriented in my list I would say
that the next two best bets would be the Bill Smith or Clements and
Rosenfeld titles. Both are out of print but were in print fairly recently so
they might be available at a good price.
Another book that is not on my list is the Dover publication on
composition for artists. I haven't even seen my copy in a decade or more but
remember it as being pretty good - I think I loaned it to a student and
never got it back. Dover publications are never out of print and the prices
are always reasonable.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto