CANON stomps Nikon .... Again !!!

Old August 23rd 04, 06:37 PM
Dallas

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:47:56 -0700, Mark M wrote:

"Dallas" wrote in message
Tony, you really are becoming a boor. Take it out on your dog, if you
have one.

You don't think 5 DSLR's in 3 years is a bit too much?

Those DSLRs were marketed to three different groups. 1 series to pros.
30, 60 and 10 to mid-level
Digital Rebel to amateurs.

So no.
5 isn't too mush...

I was excluding the pro line. I count D30, D60, 10D, 20D and 300D as the
five I am referring to. Of course there are a further three professional
models, so our count would be 8 DSLR's - all in the space of three years.

--
Dallas
www.dallasdahms.com
Old August 23rd 04, 06:37 PM
Dallas

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:12:32 +0000, Tony Spadaro wrote:

Rediculous. No one held a gun to your head and said "Buy or die". You
seem
to be the only person on these forums who feels cheated by Canon because
they have new models coming out, but I doubt I will hear much complaining
when your D70 becomes "so last year". I'm typing this on an ancient
windows 98 machine -- I don't feel cheated because there are newer
machines on the market, and most people I know (here and in real life)
greet new models with a certain amount of joy.
Perhaps i you had waited until dSLRS could do what you wanted instead
of
having to have the latest and the greatest at every moment - you'd be
happy. But I might be wrong -- perhaps there was a gun to your head.
Perhaps the evil camera mongers are indeed forcing you to upgrade every
year or so.
I thought you were raving over an FM2 a few months ago. But I could
have
gotten it crossed up. You seem to be buying new cameras every week or so,
and instead of taking the time to learn how to use them, moving on the the
next big thing. Me and my EOS 3 have really gotten to know one another in
the three or four years I've had it. I'll miss it when I go digital, but
I'll bet the interface of the 20D is pretty close to it, and even closer
to my wife's Elan 7.

Tony, I only ever bought two of the DSLR's I mentioned. If you recall the
first (a D30) was replaced under duress by Canon.

I agree, we should all wait before jumping in and getting these new
cameras. This is precisely why I waited to buy the D70. It does what I
need it to do & then some! I could have gone for the Fuji S1, S2 or
Nikon's D100, but they didn't appeal to me.

It would appear that I do buy a lot of cameras, but bear in mind, most of
them are collectibles. The only camera I wasn't using was my EOS 30 (Elan
7e). But if I find a good condition FM2 at a good price I probably will
buy it.

For the record, this is what I have bought body-wise this year:

Canon A-1
Nikon F2
Canon F-1N
Nikon F4s
Nikon D70.

I sold the A-1 to help pay for the F4s.

Old August 23rd 04, 08:00 PM
Michael Benveniste

"Philip Homburg" wrote:
Michael Benveniste wrote:
Nikon regularly takes flack for the D70 and D100's
inability to meter with lenses produced in _1977_.

You mean introduced in 1977. non-CPU MF lenses are still in Nikon's
catelogue.

True enough, but you've seen the posts like: "My parents just gave
me their Nikon gear they used to take my baby pictures, and I find I
can't use the lenses on a DXXX. Nikon clearly doesn't value their
customers, so I'm switching to ..."

Take for example the Reflex-Nikkors. There is no aperture to changed or
coupled. Disabling the light meter for those is lenses simply a standard
trick on budget cameras.

Nikon could have easily permitted stopped-down metering on any body with
manual mode and a DOF preview. They _should_ have provided coupling for
non-CPU lenses on the F/N80, or at least announced their intentions of
discontinuing support ahead of time. When they didn't, the complaints
were loud, numerous, and justified. For example, see:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...e.berkeley.edu

But even when Nikon did provide metering there would have still been
complaints, as there were when the F5 replaced the F4. Believe me, I'm
not defending Nikon here -- their marketing has been dreadful for the
last 15 years, especially for the amateur market. But that doesn't excuse
this misstep by Canon.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old August 23rd 04, 08:06 PM
Mark M

newsan.2004.08.23.15.10.01.244000@southafrican.. .

"Dallas" wrote in message
Tony, you really are becoming a boor. Take it out on your dog, if you
have one.

You don't think 5 DSLR's in 3 years is a bit too much?

Those DSLRs were marketed to three different groups. 1 series to pros.
30, 60 and 10 to mid-level
Digital Rebel to amateurs.

So no.
5 isn't too mush...

I was excluding the pro line. I count D30, D60, 10D, 20D and 300D as the
five I am referring to. Of course there are a further three professional
models, so our count would be 8 DSLR's - all in the space of three years.

I don't see how that's a problem for anyone save for the fool who buys
digital as a re-sale investment.

Old August 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
Tony Spadaro

I suggest the reason you buy so many cameras is because you never take
hte time to really learn how to use one camera before something makes you
move on.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto