I've Seen the Future

Old March 3rd 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default I've Seen the Future

I don't carry a camera as a matter of course.
It's one more thing to fill a pocket and weigh me down.

In fact, I don't know of any people who "camera up"
when they dress in the morning.

And yet, we all want to take pics......

My son recently got a cellphone that takes pics.
Like so many people I see today,
his "cell" is with him constantly.

AND HE TAKES PICTURES !
Dozens of pictures......
Surprisingly good pics ( for a secondary function )
Pictures of events, activitys, people
( when I would be saying; "Wish I had my camera with me" )

I predict it'll be a matter of time when digital cameras dissapear !
And we'll all be clicking and saying :"Can you see me now".

rj
Old March 3rd 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"RJ" wrote in message
I don't carry a camera as a matter of course.
It's one more thing to fill a pocket and weigh me down.

In fact, I don't know of any people who "camera up"
when they dress in the morning.

And yet, we all want to take pics......

My son recently got a cellphone that takes pics.
Like so many people I see today,
his "cell" is with him constantly.

AND HE TAKES PICTURES !
Dozens of pictures......
Surprisingly good pics ( for a secondary function )
Pictures of events, activitys, people
( when I would be saying; "Wish I had my camera with me" )

I predict it'll be a matter of time when digital cameras dissapear !
And we'll all be clicking and saying :"Can you see me now".

rj

Hi.

Well you may be correct, but only for the "plebs" the "cognosenti" will
continue with Cameras. There is no way any Phone can even approach the
quality of a cheap Digital Camera.

The number of Mpx involved is irrelevant, the lenses and sensors and focal
length are just too small, unless phone design reverts to Thick.

Roy G

Old March 3rd 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

There is no way any Phone can even approach the quality of a cheap Digital
Camera.

I beg to differ - my phone already takes pictures that are not only larger,
but sharper and clearer than the photos my first Digital Camera took when I
got it back in 1996.

The phone (value £150) takes 1024x768 photos, the digital camera (cost over
£500) took 800x600.

Give it time and I have no doubts future phones will eclipse the digital
cameras of today!

D.

Old March 3rd 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:21:39 -0000, "David Wright"
wrote:

There is no way any Phone can even approach the quality of a cheap Digital
Camera.

I beg to differ - my phone already takes pictures that are not only larger,
but sharper and clearer than the photos my first Digital Camera took when I
got it back in 1996.

The phone (value £150) takes 1024x768 photos, the digital camera (cost over
£500) took 800x600.

Give it time and I have no doubts future phones will eclipse the digital
cameras of today!

D.

The first digital camera I tried was in about 1985 (yes), a prototype
Sony Mavica. Considerably bigger and heavier than a 35mm SLR -
quality awful, though can't remember the pixel count.

I bought a FD series Mavica when they came out commercially in about
1995, that recorded about 40 exposures of 640x480 pixel pictures onto
a 1.44Mb floppy disk in the back of the camera. My phone's now got
two cameras (one front and one back), and both far better than that
1995 Mavica. Give it five/ten years and phone cameras could well be
as good as current digitals.

John Wilson

Remove characters from e-mail address to reply
www.yachtsnet.co.uk - full service online yacht
brokerage with full details and multiple photos
of all boats. Free classified adverts for small
boats and genuinely useful marine links.
Old March 3rd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

[...]

I still doubt this. For one, a decent sized camera phone will need a larger
sensor such as 1/1.8" and to be as useful as a camera it would likely need a
zoom lens of reasonable speed and AF. A camera phone as this would be bulky
and the trend is compact and thin. There is a limit to how good photos can
be from the current fixed focus tiny camera phone lenses. I haven't seen a
camera phone that delivered as nice an image as my 1999 2mp Kodak DC280.
-S

Old March 3rd 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"RJ" wrote in message

In fact, I don't know of any people who "camera up"
when they dress in the morning.

Now you know at least one person who does. My dSLR goes everywhere I go -
literally.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com/gallery

Old March 3rd 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"David Wright" wrote in message
There is no way any Phone can even approach the quality of a cheap

Digital
Camera.

I beg to differ - my phone already takes pictures that are not only

larger,
but sharper and clearer than the photos my first Digital Camera took when

got it back in 1996.

The phone (value £150) takes 1024x768 photos, the digital camera (cost

over
£500) took 800x600.

Give it time and I have no doubts future phones will eclipse the digital
cameras of today!

Ultimately they won't have to. Most people who use phones as cameras just
want some snap-shots of friends and events. There's a practical bandwidth
limitation for emailing these photos over the mobile phone and there's a
particular size that will be "good enough" for 99% of consumers. That's
just my opinion of course. Even George Gilder is wrong most of the time.

The oddball who uses the camera-phone for fine art doesn't care so much
about quality - he's the same goofball who drills holes in his 20D body cap
to build an expensive pin hole camera. (that's me).

Old March 3rd 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

David Wright wrote:
There is no way any Phone can even approach the quality of a cheap Digital
Camera.

I beg to differ - my phone already takes pictures that are not only larger,
but sharper and clearer than the photos my first Digital Camera took whenI
got it back in 1996.

The phone (value £150) takes 1024x768 photos, the digital camera (cost over
£500) took 800x600.

Give it time and I have no doubts future phones will eclipse the digital
cameras of today!

Sadly there are limits to just how good a small sensor can get, and we
are beginint to get close to those limits. Whereas we will get some
continued improvement don't expect the same improvement in the next 10
years that we saw in the last 10 years.

Scott

Old March 3rd 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:06:35 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

I predict it'll be a matter of time when digital cameras dissapear !
And we'll all be clicking and saying :"Can you see me now".

And your voice quality will go to **** because of massive overselling
of unnecessary data transmission.

Old March 3rd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"RJ" wrote in message

I predict it'll be a matter of time when digital cameras dissapear !
And we'll all be clicking and saying :"Can you see me now".

Can you predict when I'll be able to stick my 17-40 L onto a phone?
No, I thought not.