No Subject

Old November 18th 05, 12:00 AM

Default No Subject

From: jimnjen not home NOSPAM yahoo
Subject: How to get close with water?
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:50:50 -0600

"Brett" wrote:

"Alan Meyer" wrote in message
roups.com...

Brett wrote:
I have an Olympus C2100 digital camera with stock lens. I've been doing
macros by getting the camera right on top of something then zooming and
adjusting the focus manually. That works great in place of a macro lens.

I'd like to capture a drop of water falling into a bowl of water. I have
done this and it comes out nicely. The problem of course is that water
is
constantly spalshing onto the lens. Any suggestions on how I can do this
without getting the camera wet?

You could put a piece of clear glass between the camera
and the water. This will degrade the image some, but
maybe not too much.

Alan

How would a macro lens help? I haven't used them. Will the macro len allow
me to zoom in from a distance of about 1 ft or so and still get good macro
shots? Would this be what I'm looking for

Thanks,
Brett

My experience is all in the 35mm SLR world, where I have two lens for
macro photography, my 55 mm and 105mm Both lenses in todays dollars
cost nearly a 1000 bucks when new, but can be had on eBay for pennies.
They wont' fit your camera anyway. But to compare, if were to take a
photo of a penny life size with the 55, the front of the lens would be about
3 inches from the penny and the film plane about 8 inches.
With a 105, the film plan is about 16 inches away, and the front of the
lens is about 10 inches from the penny. (this is optical zoom so to
speak in the digital world, not digital zoom. )
Here is a link to what looks like a pretty good discussion on close up
filters. http://dpfwiw.com/filters.htm#close-up

--
Jim