Amazing tsunami pics !

Old December 28th 04, 04:58 PM
Annika1980

Default Amazing tsunami pics !

http://www.pbase.com/issels/phuket_tsunami

Old December 28th 04, 06:54 PM
Mike

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message ...
(Annika1980) writes:

http://www.pbase.com/issels/phuket_tsunami

A friend of a friend reported watching the wave come in from high
ground (lucky people), and my first thought was "So where are the
*pictures*?". Glad to see at least somebody thought of it!

Now, I'd like some pictures from more sharply-sloping ground, where
you can see something like a moving wall of water.

I've seen a few incredible video clips the past few days of
exactly that. If anyone knows of download sources for these
clips please share the info.

Old December 28th 04, 08:50 PM
Cynicor

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Annika1980" wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/issels/phuket_tsunami

These pictures are amazing, and also useful for rallying support for aid.

The hand-wringing net nannies will soon be outraged by something else and
you will be forgotten by them. Forgive them; they don't realize how much
they add to the burdens of the world.

A little off-topic, but the New York Times seems to have made a decision to
show as many dead children on their front page as possible over the past
year. It seems like twice a week they have photos of some dead or maimed
child - they did it again today with the victims of this disaster. I don't
understand it, when a photo like this would've demonstrated the awesome
force of the event much more clearly:
http://www.pbase.com/issels/image/37884488

Old December 28th 04, 10:22 PM
Don Lathrop

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

... But with the huge loss of human life,
all it draws is my sadness. More like,
would you describe the jets ramming
into the WTC towers as amazing? ...

I think the videos taken by the French
film crew of the first WTC strike were
amazing, as were the CNN shots of
the second strike with the fireball.
I also think the pBase shots of the
tsunami coming ashore at Phuket were
amazing. Now, by "amazing" I mean
that they impress me with their power,
and awe me with their impact. I am
also impressed with the ability of the
videographers and photographer to stand
their ground and operate their equipment
in the face of such unnerving events.

I can't take a position regarding the
swimmer as I was not there, but I
would give the photographer the
benefit of the doubt -- if a human
being in such a circumstance can
assist another in peril, he or she would
do so. If he or she cannot, I see no
problem or moral turpitude in recording
the events.

Records of these tragedies serve many
purposes -- they allow the world to see
what happened; they allow scientists and
historians to analyze the nature of the events
and plan to prevent or ameliorate future
occurrences; and they galvanize support
for relief efforts. These are all noble results.

Old December 28th 04, 10:25 PM
C J Campbell

Of course, the only way to avoid the pain of bereavement is either for us
all to die at once or to die very young, neither of which are very palatable
solutions. Not being killed by a tsunami means only that you will be killed
by something else.

Old December 28th 04, 10:25 PM
Mike

"TCS" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:45:54 GMT, Ryan Robbins wrote:

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, I see your point. Devoid of the devastation and the human tragedy,
the event would've drawn my awe/admiration/wonder too.

"Amazing" does not mean "good."

No. It means "very surprising" or "awe inspiring". Only the most jaded
would think the tsnunami was neither.

Bottom line: no tsunami warning system was in place, it's
natural selection hard at work. As always. Oh the tragedy.

Old December 28th 04, 11:47 PM
Frank ess

Stu wrote:
You people do make me laugh, you think by all sticking together it's
ok to make sad little comments about others loss of life, yet it just
makes you look like very low and pathetic.
Next time **** happens in your lives why not tell everyone here about
it then we can all take the **** ansd have a bloody good laugh and
see who can make the 'BEST' comment

My comment, after long experience with each element of this maze, save
tsunamis, is that you people who make "you people" a cornerstone concept
in their pronouncements are very consistently identified by clinicians
as persons suffering from "inadequate personality disorder". Their
predominant ego defense is "Reaction Formation" whereby they attempt to
assume the nurturing caretaker watchdog role, seldom successfully, often
in wildly inappropriate ways and circumstances. This kind of public
exhibition may actually result in a positive outcome:
institutionalization and/or medication reduces hazards to them and the
community.

--
Frank ess
Certified Person-Watcher,

Old December 28th 04, 11:57 PM
TCS

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:39:52 -0800, Mike wrote:
"Stu" wrote in message ...
You people do make me laugh, you think by all sticking together it's ok to
make sad little comments about others loss of life, yet it just makes you
look like very low and pathetic.
Next time **** happens in your lives why not tell everyone here about it
then we can all take the **** ansd have a bloody good laugh and see who can
make the 'BEST' comment

Loss of life? As Jim Morrison said, "No one here gets out alive."

Get over yourself, Stu. Every one of these deaths was due to
stupidity and laziness, and every one was preventable. There
was no tsunami warning system in place, while the fault system
that adjoins the Indian Ocean region routinely produces some
of the largest quakes on the planet. If you think it's a good use
of your time bemoaning natural selection, that's your problem.

There's no tsunami warning system on the atlantic either. If there was
a 9.0 quake that took out 100,000 on the east coast, would you call them
lazy too? Perhaps the reason there was no tsanami warning system on
the indian ocean was because there hasn't been one like last weekend's in
at least FIVE HUNDRED YEARS!

Old December 29th 04, 12:15 AM
Stu

"Frank ess" wrote in message
Stu wrote:
[...]

At least it's a newsgroup and not a lift

Stu

Old December 29th 04, 12:21 AM
Claim Guy

"Stu" wrote in message
I take it you did not read or understand my comments in my first reply

then.

Stu

Where? I quoted your reply to my comments - that's my reference point.

Simply putting me down as a sad person, likely with no friends, and pointing
out your superior stature as a human for having saved lives is not a
response to the points I made.