Camera JPEG engines

Old November 21st 12, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Camera JPEG engines

In article , PeterN
wrote:

BTW I didn't realize that the old serial ports were just as fast as
firewire, USB2 and USB3. Thanks for clearing that up.

what in the world does that have to do with anything? and what hard
drives have serial ports? do you just make this **** up?

any other stupid comments?

I was simply responding to your asinine statement, that old hard drives
are as fast as the newer ones.

i never said any such thing. are you trying to outdo tony in twisting
and fabricating things, or is it that you can't read very well?

Here is your comment, in full and in context:

"In article , Rob
wrote:

I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
communications.

you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
laptops."

reading is not your strong suit, is it?

where does that say that old hard drives are as fast as newer ones? oh
yea, it doesn't!

it says that his old 60 gig drive is the same speed then as it is now,
which it is.

You are free to go back and read it.

why don't you do that before you say more stupid things.

See above.

BTW what does the "S" in "USB" stand for.

another stupid comment.

just because something is based on a serial protocol does not make it
an 'old serial port' (your words).

if you can't tell the difference between rs-232, rs-422, usb, firewire,
sata, thunderbolt and ethernet (all serial protocols), then you have
far bigger problems.
Old November 21st 12, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 21/11/2012 11:28, Anthony Polson wrote:
David Taylor wrote:

[]
Netbooks are fine both for a quick review and for storage, but I agree
that they are less suited to CPU-intensive processes.

It isn't just the CPU. The displays tend to be small and not
especially bright and tend to have a limited range of angles at which
they can be viewed. They are all but useless for editing.

Which is part of the reason why I said "quick review", nothing about
editing.

In any case, better to edit back at home on your really big, colour
calibrated display, in the appropriate lighting environment and
comfortable surroundings.
--
Cheers,
David
Old November 21st 12, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , PeterN
says...
I shoot primarily in RAW because is considerably more information in a
RAW file. I can do all sorts of non-destructive editing on a RAW file,
and coax a larger verity of information from that file, than even the
best JPEG.

But sometimes cameras have a very good JPEG output. You could shoot
RAW+JPEG and save time when the camera JPEG is good.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 21st 12, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , David Taylor says...
Actually, with its 2048
x 1536 3 Mpix display, the iPad makes a rather good review device as
well as providing storage.

Well, on a typical trip I end up with 70-100GB of images, too much for
any tablet.

Besides I don't trust flash memory for backup.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 21st 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

Besides I don't trust flash memory for backup.

it's more reliable than a hard drive, and you trust it in the camera to
take the photo in the first place.
Old November 21st 12, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Floyd L. Davidson says...
Among those were 2,500 not even
developed rolls of film.

What a waste of film. He should have used digital cameras.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 21st 12, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/21/2012 12:08 PM, nospam wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Logic isn't something you understand. Go Wallow in your ignorance.

Bye. EOD from me. Take your last shot , if you will.

--
Peter
Old November 21st 12, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/21/2012 1:07 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , PeterN
says...
I shoot primarily in RAW because is considerably more information in a
RAW file. I can do all sorts of non-destructive editing on a RAW file,
and coax a larger verity of information from that file, than even the
best JPEG.

But sometimes cameras have a very good JPEG output. You could shoot
RAW+JPEG and save time when the camera JPEG is good.

Doesn't make any significant difference in time, unless I would want the
image straight out of the camera, which rarely happens.

--
Peter
Old November 21st 12, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 21/11/2012 18:11, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , David Taylor says...
Actually, with its 2048
x 1536 3 Mpix display, the iPad makes a rather good review device as
well as providing storage.

Well, on a typical trip I end up with 70-100GB of images, too much for
any tablet.

Too much today, but perhaps not tomorrow. I think my maximum must have
been about 30 GB.

Besides I don't trust flash memory for backup.

... and yet you trust it in your memory cards. What I mean by backup on
a trip is normally just for emergencies, I take enough cards that I
don't need to re-use them. I'm not talking "indefinite archive", just
"keep a copy for a week or two". If the memory in the iPad were not
trustworthy, there would be a large body of customer complaints, I
imagine. I've not heard that outcry.
--
Cheers,
David
Old November 21st 12, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

[...]

english isn't something you understand. either you're stupid or you're
trolling. maybe a mix of both.