Camera JPEG engines

Old November 20th 12, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Camera JPEG engines

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
laptops.

It's an extra step each time, but no big deal.

you mean taking it out of the bag? that's not always required, but when
it is, it's not a big deal.

A laptop is a PITA.

If I could I would leave it in my main bag where it would go straight
through without any further involvement on my part. As it is, I have
to carry it on for a security check and, at the best, it is a further
complication to my hand baggage.

some places let you leave a laptop in the bag, including the usa for
precheck. otherwise, it takes 10-15 seconds to remove it and put in a
bin.

By that time I've checked in my main baggage. I only have carry-on
luggage.

are you saying you want to put a laptop in checked bags? that's *not*
wise. laptops go in carry-on, as does anything else of value.

checked bags can get lost, or worse, stuff can be stolen from them.
they are also tossed around and a laptop really isn't suited to that
type of treatment. the airlines say not to put anything valuable in
there and don't cover much if you do.
Old November 21st 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 2012-11-20 14:32:10 -0800, Rob said:

On 21/11/2012 8:17 AM, Frank S wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
On 20/11/2012 7:15 PM, David Taylor wrote:
On 20/11/2012 07:02, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Rob says...
No but I don't get to go places all the time so I take quite a
few
images when I travel - 7000 images last time

It must take forever to process all these images.

So you try and get them right in the camera, rather than relying on
having to post-process!

Yes - getting them right in the first place to eliminates post
processing. Taking heaps of happy snaps and scabbing a shot is far
from ideal.

Having an understanding of what you are doing. Evaluating the scene
and thinking what will happen. Difficult situations like wind, extreme
contrast, sports etc - you should know how to maximise to get the shot.

Understand your camera.

Yes - I would like to understand "scabbing" in this context.

Take lots of shots and fluke a keeper.

Aah! The search for the magnificent miracle.

No wonder you fill up those cards with JPEGs.

It was not me to whom I was referring.
Old November 21st 12, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 21/11/2012 10:18 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Not sure to whom you refer but 'If I could I would leave it in ...'
Old November 21st 12, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

nospam writes:

In article , David Dyer-Bennet
wrote:

I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
communications.

you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
when it was new.

But the quantity to be transferred today is larger, so the speed matters
more.

it's going to take longer to transfer a larger file than a smaller file
no matter how fast the medium is.

A medium that was fast enough for the smaller files of the past will be
too slow for the larger files of today.

many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
jacket pocket.

Netbooks, maybe, but those aren't useful for photo work.

ultrabooks, which are very useful for photo work.

Isn't that a brand name? I don't know of it as a category.

battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
car.

I've never achieved that level of battery life in any laptop I've bought
or even looked at on paper. I think you're confusing "netbooks" with
laptops, again.

nope. the macbook air gets 5-7 hours, depending on if it's the 11" or
13". macbook pros can do 7-10 hours, depending on which one, but the
15" and certainly the 17" wont fit in a jacket quite as easily as an
air.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...macbook-pro.ht
ml

But the batteries aren't replaceable by the user yes.

I do of course plug my laptop in a lot; I don't find using it on battery
to be that important.

same here.

there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
laptops.

It's an extra step each time, but no big deal.

you mean taking it out of the bag? that's not always required, but when
it is, it's not a big deal.

It's been required whenever I've travelled in the last few years,
anyway.

I can't imagine going on a photo trip without a laptop myself. I also
carry an external drive to back up the photos two (leaving me just two
copies, one on the laptop and one on the external; which always go in
different bags).

depends on the length of the trip. for a day or two, i don't bother
with a laptop.

It's crucial to seeing how things are doing, and also to making backups
of the images.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old November 21st 12, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

nospam writes:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, and then make carry-on limits that sometimes make it impossible
for me to follow both sets of rules (the camera gear and computer gear
I'm taking with me exceeds carry-on limits).
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old November 21st 12, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/19/2012 2:03 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , tony cooper
says...
The rest of the time I'll shoot RAW only.

Is the JPEG output of your camera so bad?

I shoot primarily in RAW because is considerably more information in a
RAW file. I can do all sorts of non-destructive editing on a RAW file,
and coax a larger verity of information from that file, than even the
best JPEG.

--
Peter
Old November 21st 12, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
communications.

you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
when it was new.

But the quantity to be transferred today is larger, so the speed matters
more.

it's going to take longer to transfer a larger file than a smaller file
no matter how fast the medium is.

A medium that was fast enough for the smaller files of the past will be
too slow for the larger files of today.

it's the same speed it's always been. it doesn't get any slower over
time.

the real limit is its capacity, not its speed. some cameras now have 50
meg raws, compared to 5 meg raws when 60 gig was considered 'a big hard
drive'. 60 gig fills up faster than it used to.

many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
jacket pocket.

Netbooks, maybe, but those aren't useful for photo work.

ultrabooks, which are very useful for photo work.

Isn't that a brand name? I don't know of it as a category.

it's both, but i was referring to the category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrabook
Ultrabooks are designed to feature reduced bulk without compromising
performance and battery life. They use low-power Intel Core
processors, solid-state drives, and unibody chassis to help meet
these criteria.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ow/ultrabook.h
tml

battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
car.

I've never achieved that level of battery life in any laptop I've bought
or even looked at on paper. I think you're confusing "netbooks" with
laptops, again.

nope. the macbook air gets 5-7 hours, depending on if it's the 11" or
13". macbook pros can do 7-10 hours, depending on which one, but the
15" and certainly the 17" wont fit in a jacket quite as easily as an
air.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/04/apple-macbook-pro.html

But the batteries aren't replaceable by the user yes.

so what? it's not just apple. most ultrabooks are like that.

the result is longer battery run time and a thinner, lighter and more
reliable laptop. that is something that benefits users every day.

it's almost guaranteed that the user will never replace the battery in
the product's lifetime. the battery is rated for 5 years and by then,
the user will probably want a new laptop (not just a new battery), if
they haven't already upgraded it to something better before then
(typical ownership is around 3 years). in other words, the battery will
outlast the computer.

worst case, the battery is replaced once, which is generally a
while-you-wait at an apple store, and for those handy with a
screwdriver, it's not all that hard to do it on their own.

there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
laptops.

It's an extra step each time, but no big deal.

you mean taking it out of the bag? that's not always required, but when
it is, it's not a big deal.

It's been required whenever I've travelled in the last few years,
anyway.

it depends where. some countries don't have the silly charades
regarding laptops, and as i said in another post, putting a laptop in a
bin is not required with precheck (nor are shoes or liquids).

also, ultrabooks are small enough that they aren't considered dangerous
by some abstract and secret metric, so they can be left in the bag, as
can ipads and other tablets.

for larger laptops, it takes 10 seconds, maybe 15 on a slow day, to
take it out of a bag and put it in a bin, so even when it's required,
it's still not a big deal.

I can't imagine going on a photo trip without a laptop myself. I also
carry an external drive to back up the photos two (leaving me just two
copies, one on the laptop and one on the external; which always go in
different bags).

depends on the length of the trip. for a day or two, i don't bother
with a laptop.

It's crucial to seeing how things are doing, and also to making backups
of the images.

for a 1-2 day trip, i bring an ipad, which works fine for copying
images. a laptop for that short of a trip is overkill. a portable
storage device (hd enclosure & cardslot) works well in place of a
laptop too.

plus, flash cards are very reliable and i'm not particularly worried
about data loss if i didn't have anywhere to copy it. sometimes i take
just the camera and a bunch of cards and copy them when i get home.
Old November 21st 12, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

some places let you leave a laptop in the bag, including the usa for
precheck. otherwise, it takes 10-15 seconds to remove it and put in a
bin.

By that time I've checked in my main baggage. I only have carry-on
luggage.

are you saying you want to put a laptop in checked bags? that's *not*
wise. laptops go in carry-on, as does anything else of value.

checked bags can get lost, or worse, stuff can be stolen from them.
they are also tossed around and a laptop really isn't suited to that
type of treatment. the airlines say not to put anything valuable in
there and don't cover much if you do.

Yeah, and then make carry-on limits that sometimes make it impossible
for me to follow both sets of rules (the camera gear and computer gear
I'm taking with me exceeds carry-on limits).

camera gear is exempt from the 2 bag rule, however, camera gear tends
to run up against weight limits, which fortunately, are not imposed on
domestic flights.

that's why clothing with large pockets is fantastic. load it up with
the heavy and often bulky stuff like lenses, tablets, etc, and leave
the lightweight stuff in the bag. the weight limit applies to the bag,
not jackets or pants.

plus, taking a laptop onboard means you can use it on the plane during
the flight, which is very likely to have wifi.
Old November 21st 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/20/2012 9:51 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Rob
wrote:

I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
communications.

you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
laptops.

Another survey?
Airport security has a time consuming protocol if your laptop doesn't
turn on.

BTW I didn't realize that the old serial ports were just as fast as
firewire, USB2 and USB3. Thanks for clearing that up.

--
Peter
Old November 21st 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/20/2012 9:31 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
nospam writes:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Some members of my CC wear a photo vest and stuff a lot of gear into its
pockets. A vest is considered clothing, not luggage. One of my friends
convinced an airline that if his wife's pocket book didn't count as a
carry on bag, one of his bags was also a pocket book, which didn't count
as luggage. His argument was not so successful on the return trip.

--
Peter