Be glad Apple doesn't make cameras

Old December 7th 09, 10:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
corks

Default Be glad Apple doesn't make cameras

ahem but apple pc's are made of metal ????

"RichA" wrote in message
Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
pro-level DSLRs.
Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
them with a one-button push, ideally.
Which is why pro cameras will stay large.

Old December 7th 09, 10:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Roger Matthews

But you would have to send them back to the manufacturer every time the
battery needed replacement!

Old December 8th 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Roger Matthews wrote:
But you would have to send them back to the manufacturer every time the
battery needed replacement!

No, Apple's computers really do have removeable batteries.

--
Ray Fischer

Old December 8th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
2009120811535011272-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom, C J
Campbell wrote:

No, Apple's computers really do have removeable batteries.

The 2009 MacBook Pros do not.

yes they do, it just takes a screwdriver to remove it. with an 8+ hour
per charge, there's rarely a need.

This is a major gripe. You cannot have an
extra battery and Apple charges $179 to replace the battery on a 17"
MacBook Pro.

the battery should last 5 years, so that's something that might happen
once in the lifetime of the machine, if that. chances are you'll sell
it before the battery needs replacing.
Old December 8th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-12-07 22:29:49 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:

Roger Matthews wrote:
But you would have to send them back to the manufacturer every time the
battery needed replacement!

No, Apple's computers really do have removeable batteries.

The 2009 MacBook Pros do not. This is a major gripe. You cannot have an
extra battery and Apple charges $179 to replace the battery on a 17"
MacBook Pro.

That too seems to reflect Steve Jobs's original marketing philosophy. I
remember when the first Macintosh came out, it had NO color and NO expansion
slots (arguably the very things that had made the Apple II such a huge
success), and my understanding was that the owner couldn't even add more
memory if he wanted to -- which he probably would have wanted to do, since
that first Mac had only 128K. Any change of memory or anything else required
taking the machine back to Your Friendly Apple Dealer.

Yeah, that attitude was showing up even with the Apple II. Remember the
original floppy disk? Who else would have tried to sell a
quarter-density floppy disk drive for twice what a normal drive cost?

And then there was Lisa...

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old December 8th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_4_]

On 2009-12-07 22:29:49 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:

Roger Matthews wrote:
[...]

Yes. List price for an Apple floppy drive in 1983, when I bought my Apple
IIe, was $500! My Friendly Apple Dealer sold me the second one for $380.
Those were the old full-height drives, and I could have gotten one of the
newer half-height (or slimmer) drives for something over $200 -- probably a
better drive, too. How things have changed. I think the last 3.5" floppy
drive I bought cost me about $20 -- and checking NewEgg just now I see
they're about $8, the couple that they're still selling.

And then there was Lisa...

I remember the $10,000 Lisa very well, though I never got very close to one.
I went up to the big Applefest in Boston that same year, 1983, where they
had a Lisa, but where they had it it was so mobbed I couldn't get within 30
feet of it.

As I recall, the original plan for the Macintosh was that it was to be a
low-priced version of the Lisa, sort of a Chevy to GM's Cadillac. But that
idea didn't seem to last very long.

Old December 9th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Martin
Trautmann wrote:

the battery should last 5 years, so that's something that might happen
once in the lifetime of the machine, if that. chances are you'll sell
it before the battery needs replacing.

Apple does claim that the newer models do have much better battery
performance - but they still do stick to a warranty limitation of six
months only.

wrong. the warranty is one year, just like anything else, with an
optional extension for 3 years.

If they don't trust their own promises, why should anyone else?

where in the world do you get that they don't trust their own promises?