No Subject

Old October 20th 05, 01:00 AM

Default No Subject

From: jimnjen not home NOSPAM yahoo
Subject: Anyone with a connection at a bulk mailer?
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:37:09 -0500

Don Wiss wrote:
A few of the camera dealers here in Brooklyn have moved. According to
USPS.GOV I should be able to send a letter "Return Service Requested" and
instead of forwarding the letter they are supposed to send it back with the
new address. But the people at the post office I tried this don't know
this. So I visited today and spoke with the postmaster. He is also
clueless. He says that if I send it first class they have to forward it. He
suggests sending it bulk and then they'll send it back with the new
address.

We send mail to our theater mailing list. The following is based on our
experiences. Your mileage may vary.
First class mail is always forwarded if the receiver filed a forwarding
order. If they did not and the mail is not deliverable then it is
returned to the sender. Non profit bulk mail is not returned if
undeliverable but will be forwarded if the forwarding order is in place.
Otherwise it is delivered to the address location "Current Occupant". Bulk
mail with "Return Service Requested" will be returned to the sender if
undeliverable at a cost per piece returned. Mail with a valid forwarding
order is delivered even if 'Return Service Requested" is printed on the
piece. If the post office has no forwarding address but does have a
change of address filed for that company, then the piece will get returned
to the sender with new address. This should happen with either first class or bulk with "Return Service
Requested" Also forwarding orders expire and after the expiration,
the mail may get returned to the sender with the new address.
I also find the reliability of some these schemes depends on the Post
Office. We have had standard non profit bulk mail returned to us even if
we do not specify Return Requested?
AND if these guys have gone out of business with your money, then what
makes you think they left a forwarding order or change of address with
the Post Office? Most of these sleaze operate under several names,
operate out of short term leased space, are not "authorized" dealers, etc.
Cameras and most consumer electronics are sold at very low profit
margins and if anyone has a price substantially lower than the "going"
rate, a rat is usually just around the corner.
Better you contact the Attorrney General's Office or Consumer Protection
Agency of the state where the store last existed.

The NCOA (National Change of Address) database is sold for something like
$5000. Bulk mailers, of course, subscribe so they can keep their lists
up-to-date. So does anyone know a bulk mailer that subscribes? These are
the two dealers I know moved:

The NCOA tracks some businesses that have moved but not all. BTW the
license fee can be many times that and it is an annual fee. It doesn't
track changed names, merger etc either. NCOA is largely based on
voluntary filing of the addressee.

Best Buy Digital
7012 20th Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11204-5317

J&S Enterprises or this may be Value Imaging Products, Inc. or various web
names.
1709 65th St.
Brooklyn, NY 11204-3737

Then maybe check this:

Value Imaging Products, Inc.
1051 Dahill Rd.
Brooklyn, NY 11204-1741

Then I have just learned that these people very recently went out of
business. Having a forwarding address would mostly be useful for those that
were screwed and want to find them.

Blue Switch Digital Inc.
673 Coney Island Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11218-4306