personal slide viewers

Old August 21st 06, 11:57 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.film+labs
[email protected]

Default personal slide viewers

(x-posting heavily reduced..)

While my experience is limited to only a few, I have *never* seen a
good slide viewer. I'm not sure if such a thing exists.. I've got an
old Agfa viewer somewhere in a cupboard but it is quite mediocre, with
very strong CA and blurring in the corners, and even the centre is not
exactly pin-sharp.

The best ways a
- light box *with GOOD loupe/s*. Personally I think you need two, one
at about 4x to get the full view, and one of about 12x to check
details/focus.
- projector *with GOOD lens*, eg a Leitz SuperColorplan. When I was
first starting to use slides, I replaced the stock lens on my Rollei
projector with a Leitz on a recommendation from a knowledgable friend.
I was astonished!! If you've never seen your slides projected *well*
(eg if you've only ever used Ektagraphics or similar), you haven't yet
lived.

AAvK wrote:
I have a little old view master pana-vue 2, $9.95 you know...
but the lens is rather dreadful, uncoated and warped, and I
would like to check for sharpness as well as see a much nicer
image that is magnified. More than just seeing what the image
is.

I do have a Gagne light box and coated optic 4x loupe, but the
"light" bothers me, and I really like the viewer idea more.
Does any company make a decent one? Or, is there an older
small sized make and model to look out for?

Thanks all,

--
})))* Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Old August 21st 06, 12:28 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.film+labs
AAvK

[...]

That's interesting because you'd think "some" company would have or
is making a realistic good quality slide viewer, glorious coated optics
that are precision ground, variable magnification and lighting... maybe
someday. Probably not.