Viewing images from CD-R or DVD-R

Old January 24th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Viewing images from CD-R or DVD-R

Hi

Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.

I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to the
next.

I was told Irfanview did this, but it just seems to allow you to make a
slide show by copying the files onto your HDD first.

I don't want to create a slide show on a VCD or DVD that can be viewed
in a DVD player, and I don't want to have to put self-contained slide
show viewer software onto each CD/DVD. I already have lots of CD-Rs and
DVD-Rs which just have data on (image files). I simply want some
software on my PC that will run a slide show from the images on the
data CD-R or DVD-R.

I believe ACDSee does this but this seems to have lots of other
features I don't want. I wondered if there was a cheap or free software
utility that will do what I want?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

PI

Old January 24th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
"Pig Ignorant" wrote:

[...]

Have you considered the iPod Video? While you do need a computer at the
beginning, once you have shifted a number of sets to the playlist, you
can view it easily, albeit on a SMALL screen, the potential to combine
it with iPod Video, you "should" end up with a much more controllable
slideshow and better picture.

How often will you use your slideshows?
Old January 24th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

You can do this in Windows XP - just open My Computer or Windows
Explorer, browse the CD (or drive/location where the images are), open
one image and then you should have options to view as a slide show etc.
You can also select to view thumbnails instead of just filenames/icons
in Explorer.
There is no need to download the pictures to your hard drive, although
they will open a lot faster if you do. If you are going to view them a
lot and do have enough space on the hard driver it's well worth
downloading them and then deleting them afterwards. Your choice...

Personally I use Thumbs Plus from www.cerious.com - it's a great
picture viewer and has some good editing features. I recommend
downloading the program for a 30 day demo.

Hope this helps.

Old January 24th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thumbs Plus builds a database of thumbnails....that can take some time. I am
thinking that there must be a screen saver that does this.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

ups.com...

Old January 24th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Also to change your subject slightly. Newer DVD players/recorders may be
able to read the jpg images to create a slide show on the fly. I know my
Pioneer DVR-RT500 will.

William Hathaway

Old January 24th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com, Pig
Ignorant writes
Hi

Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.

I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to the
next.

I was told Irfanview did this, but it just seems to allow you to make a
slide show by copying the files onto your HDD first.

Irfanview 3.97 does it. Just click on slideshow and use the "look in"
drop down box to select your CD/DVD drive letter and add the pictures to
include using the "add" and "add all" buttons, in exactly the same way
as you would select from a folder on your hard drive. The resulting
list does not copy any files to your hard drive but it will display them
as a slide show.

Cheers
--
Kevin
Old January 24th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

PI,

I've been using VuePrint for years and it excells at just this kind of
thing. General image file manipulation, rather than editing, is where
it really shines. It's fast and efficient, and costs around $30 if
memory serves. Find it at http://www.hamrick.com/

HTH,
-Ben

Old January 24th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Pig Ignorant wrote:
Hi

Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.

I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to
the next.

Using Windows XP, click on the CD drive, click on the folder containing the
pictures, click on FOLDERS icon at top of screen, click on "view as slide
show" left side of screen.

Dennis.

Old January 24th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Pig Ignorant wrote:
Hi

Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.

I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to
the next.

Using Windows XP, click on the CD drive, click on the folder containing
the
pictures, click on FOLDERS icon at top of screen, click on "view as slide
show" left side of screen.

Dennis.

I don't know what the op is talking about. A quick check shows both
Irfanview and FastStone play a slide show directly from a dvd, plus all the
others mentioned.
Dave Cohen

Old January 25th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Pig Ignorant" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Most DVD players will run a Slide show of Jpeg Images straight from a DVD
or CD disc.

You probably won't be able to control the timings. You may also find that
if the files are large, they might not look great on the screen, a bit sort
of clumpy grained in places.

I have always found it best to make up a disc with fairly low res images
just for showing on TV.

This way you can get even more pictures onto 1 disc, and prolong the agony
for the viewers. It is even better than the old days, when they sometimes
managed to make a quick exit while the projector and screen were being set
up. (joke?)

Roy G