Panasonic FZ30

Old April 14th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Panasonic FZ30

I'm in the market for a Panasonic FZ30. Does anyone know if this is
likely to be replaced/updated in the near future?

TIA.

--
Frank
Old April 14th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:11:20 +0100, F wrote:
I'm in the market for a Panasonic FZ30. Does anyone know if this is
likely to be replaced/updated in the near future?

For the last couple years, Panasonic has been announcing their latest
high-end superzooms in the early summer, availability in the early fall.
Assuming that this pattern holds, the 'FZ40' (or whatever) would be
announced this June, available Septemberish.

-dms
Old April 18th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 14/04/2006 22:23 Daniel Silevitch wrote:

For the last couple years, Panasonic has been announcing their latest
high-end superzooms in the early summer, availability in the early fall.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it complicates things a little!

I'm going on Safari in Kenya in June and was thinking of changing my
Fuji Finepix S602Z for the Panasonic to get the 12x zoom rather than the
Fuji's 6x. Image stabilisation and the quicker startup were/are also a
consideration (ideally I would like something like the EOS350D but I
doubt I could afford the equivalent of the 12x zoom for it!).

I'm hesitating about changing after seeing conflicting comments about
the Panasonic's images being noisy above ISO 80. Anyone got any views on
how it compares with the Fuji in this area? If it is an issue with the
FZ30 I'd hate to get one now only to find it's fixed in the next model
in only a few months. OTH, I'd hate to miss a decent photograph with the
lesser lens and system...

TIA.

--
Frank
Old April 24th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
F wrote:

[...]

Some people have found it useful on safari:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16869650
Old April 24th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

F wrote:

I'm in the market for a Panasonic FZ30. Does anyone know if this is
likely to be replaced/updated in the near future?

TIA.

--
Frank

If it's anything like the FZ20, then don't.

My Olympus C3020 took far better pictures than my FZ20. Until my
daughter dropped it into a toilet, anyway.

If you like taking pics of moving (eg) water for 2 secs, forget it.

Colour is lousy.

Noise isn't too bad.

Not good at all for low-light shots.

Zoom is excellent, as is stability / shudder control.

Overall, though, a total waste of money.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old April 25th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Odie wrote:
F wrote:

I'm in the market for a Panasonic FZ30. Does anyone know if this is
likely to be replaced/updated in the near future?

If it's anything like the FZ20, then don't.

My Olympus C3020 took far better pictures than my FZ20. Until my
daughter dropped it into a toilet, anyway.

If you like taking pics of moving (eg) water for 2 secs, forget it.

Colour is lousy.

Noise isn't too bad.

Not good at all for low-light shots.

Zoom is excellent, as is stability / shudder control.

Overall, though, a total waste of money.

I agree with this post. The FZ30 is a very frustrating, flawed camera. I
can't wait to get rid of mine. According to many accounts, the FZ20 is
actually a better camera! In that it takes better looking shots.

--
ant
Vote in this year's Fugly Awards (better than the Logies!)

Old April 25th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

ant wrote:
Odie wrote:
F wrote:
I'm in the market for a Panasonic FZ30. Does anyone know if this is
likely to be replaced/updated in the near future?

If it's anything like the FZ20, then don't.

My Olympus C3020 took far better pictures than my FZ20. Until my
daughter dropped it into a toilet, anyway.

If you like taking pics of moving (eg) water for 2 secs, forget it.

Colour is lousy.

Noise isn't too bad.

Not good at all for low-light shots.

Zoom is excellent, as is stability / shudder control.

Overall, though, a total waste of money.

I agree with this post. The FZ30 is a very frustrating, flawed camera. I
can't wait to get rid of mine. According to many accounts, the FZ20 is
actually a better camera! In that it takes better looking shots.

And according to other accounts, it is everything that the FZ20 should
have been, except less noisy. Besides the somewhat elevated noise
levels, what about the camera don't you like? What other small-sensor
cameras are you comparing it with?

Paul Allen
Old April 25th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I've owned an FZ30 for 4 months and, in my opinion, the noise issue is
way overblown. No doubt there is noise when using higher ISO's (as
there is to some extent with all small sensor cameras), but it is
easily overcome with NeatImage, Noise Ninja, or shooting RAW. The
reasons to consider the FZ30: a superbly sharp lens, image
stabilization, focus/zoom rings (rather than buttons), and great
egonometrics. It should be noted that the aforementioned Fujis do not
have stabilization, but seem to do a better job at higher ISO's. The
response to that is that if you do have stabilization, you may not need
the higher ISO's as often.

Since the beginning of my film days, I have always preferred low ISO,
so it is no issue to me. If your primary decision point is being able
to use ISO 400, then you should spend your money on a DSLR. Be
forewarned that you will have spend significantly more in order to get
a lens equal to that on the FZ30.

Every product has its strengths and weaknesses. The Lumix cameras are
no different.

Ken