Film scanners anyone?

Old January 6th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ted Gibson

Default Film scanners anyone?

Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
card. I hate to just 'toss' it...

Ted
Old January 7th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"Ted Gibson" wrote in message
Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
card. I hate to just 'toss' it...

Ted

Where are you located?

Old January 7th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 18:38:41 -0500, Ted Gibson
wrote:

Central Florida...

"Ted Gibson" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone use dedicated film scanners anymore? I have a Minolta
Dimage Scan Elite that I no longer use and just wondered if there's
still any 'value' to it. It looks and works great and is complete
with both slide and film carriers, user manual, CD, AND a PCI SCSI
card. I hate to just 'toss' it...

Ted

Where are you located?

Damn. Wish you would have posted this sooner.

I recently ordered this:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/740...promo=homepage
It's on backorder.

I plan to use it to scan my slides and then re-sell it on eBay. Dunno
how good it is, but I have Photoshop 7 and can tweak the resulting
images. Once I'm done with the project, I'll have no further use for
it.

I was going to buy a scanner with slide copying ability, but I have a
good scanner and re-selling a scanner is a problem. Shipping it would
be a bear.

Drop me an email, and if H-M doesn't come through maybe we can work
something out. I guess you're near Orlando.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 7th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ted Gibson

Tony,
I'm actually up in Ocala. If you want, e-mail me
) and I can tell you a bit more about this
scanner.
Ted

Old January 7th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

wrote:

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/740...promo=homepage

Done.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Old January 7th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"Ali" wrote

I still use a film scanner. Put it on EBay, you maybe surprised.

I'm sure Ted intended to, and it would fetch enough to be worth the effort.
He and I have been email buddies for years, and I suggested he post here but
not to publicise an eBay auction, as it might lead to a Spam complaint.

However, it looks like he and Tony Cooper might come to some arrangement,
and that is good to see - both parties win. RPD is good like that!

Incidentally, Ted *gave* me his old Nikon LS1000 scanner some years ago, and
I have always been grateful for that. From memory, the postage to Australia
was around $35 US.

Paul

Old January 7th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Paul Bartram wrote:
"Ali" wrote

I still use a film scanner. Put it on EBay, you maybe surprised.

I'm sure Ted intended to, and it would fetch enough to be worth the
effort. He and I have been email buddies for years, and I suggested
he post here but not to publicise an eBay auction, as it might lead
to a Spam complaint.

However, it looks like he and Tony Cooper might come to some
arrangement, and that is good to see - both parties win. RPD is good
like that!

Incidentally, Ted *gave* me his old Nikon LS1000 scanner some years
ago, and I have always been grateful for that. From memory, the
postage to Australia was around $35 US.

Paul

The replies tell you a lot.

There are literally thousands of photographers with slides and negatives
taken in the fifties and sixties who want to digitise them.

Put it on E-Bay, but not before you have used E-Bay to find out what such
devices are fetching, you will be pleasantly surprised! Some of the better
film scanners fetch over $1000.

Dennis.

Old January 8th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ted Gibson

Thanks, Dennis. I think I might have a person interested in this
scanner, but if not I'll certainly consider eBay.

Ted

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 08:45:37 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

Paul Bartram wrote:
"Ali" wrote

[...]

Epson film scanners Paul Friday Medium Format Photography Equipment 1 April 4th 06 11:09 AM
Jessops film scanners geletine Digital Photography 3 March 13th 05 11:57 PM
Film Scanners Gel Digital Photography 20 February 21st 05 01:25 AM
Are film scanners any good? John Doe 35mm Photo Equipment 30 September 20th 04 10:12 PM
M/F film scanners - again? Rod Medium Format Photography Equipment 17 May 31st 04 04:14 PM