K10D - one lens?

Old November 5th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_2_]

Default K10D - one lens?

Another hypothetical ... let's say you go for a Pentax K10D
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k10), and want to get going with one
versatile, general purpose lens, what would you choose?

Something like the DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_18_250), or the Sigma 18-200mm
F3.5-6.3 DC
(https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/le...2&navigator=6),
perhaps?

Old November 5th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Nov 5, 7:27 am, "Wilba" wrote:
Another hypothetical ... let's say you go for a Pentax K10D
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k10), and want to get going with one
versatile, general purpose lens, what would you choose?

Something like the DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_18_250), or the Sigma 18-200mm
F3.5-6.3 DC
(https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/le...=3302&navi...),
perhaps?

If I owned a K10 the 35mm f/2 would be at the top of my list. Combine
that lens with the K10's built-in IS and you get fantastic existing-
light capability in a compact package.

But that's just me.

Old November 5th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 5, 7:27 am, "Wilba" wrote:
Another hypothetical ... let's say you go for a Pentax K10D
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k10), and want to get going with one
versatile, general purpose lens, what would you choose?

Something like the DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_18_250), or the Sigma 18-200mm
F3.5-6.3 DC
(https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/le...=3302&navi...),
perhaps?

If I owned a K10 the 35mm f/2 would be at the top of my list. Combine
that lens with the K10's built-in IS and you get fantastic existing-
light capability in a compact package.

But that's just me.

The K10D is not particularly compact but still not too bad. The 35mm F2 is a
great lens, sharpness from wide open but really I think you would be quite
disappointed if that was your only lens, it is fabulously sharp but lacks
the superb bokeh and amazing rendering of the FA31mm F1.8 and can give shots
something of a clinical look.

The 18-250mm Tamron is appently quite good, the Sigma 18-200mm is not in the
same ballpark, the Sigma 18-125mm would probably do if cost and size did
matter.

Personally I do not shoot much at the longer sizes and use the 16-45mm F4 a
lot, it is a sweet lens and I rarely have it off the camera, when I do I
will have a Tamron 90mm or Pentax FA50mm F1.4 attached but I am looking for
something wider in a fixed lens but seeing as I cannot justify the FA31 I
may have to go with the Sigma 30mm F1.8 and perhaps one of the wide zooms
like the 12-24 or 10-20.

Cheers.

Pete.

Old November 5th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet

"Wilba" wrote in message
Another hypothetical ... let's say you go for a Pentax K10D
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k10), and want to get going with one
versatile, general purpose lens, what would you choose?

Something like the DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_18_250), or the Sigma 18-200mm
F3.5-6.3 DC
(https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/le...2&navigator=6),
perhaps?

Pentax 18-250. Should be on the market very soon.

The Spider

--
Ignorance really is bliss, just look how happy President Bush is.

Old November 6th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_2_]

The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet wrote:
Wilba wrote:

Another hypothetical ... let's say you go for a Pentax K10D
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k10), and want to get going with one
versatile, general purpose lens, what would you choose?

Something like the DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_18_250), or the Sigma 18-200mm
F3.5-6.3 DC
(https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/le...2&navigator=6),
perhaps?

Pentax 18-250. Should be on the market very soon.

You'd choose that one because ...?

Old November 6th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_2_]

Pete D wrote:

The 18-250mm Tamron is appently quite good, the Sigma 18-200mm is not
in the same ballpark, the Sigma 18-125mm would probably do if cost and
size did matter.

Are Tamron generally considered a good brand?

Old November 6th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_2_]

Wilba wrote:
Pete D wrote:

The 18-250mm Tamron is appently quite good, the Sigma 18-200mm is not
in the same ballpark, the Sigma 18-125mm would probably do if cost and
size did matter.

Are Tamron generally considered a good brand?

Interesting thread about the Pentax and Tamron 18-250s -
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25374952.

Old November 6th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Wilba" wrote in message
Wilba wrote:
Pete D wrote:

The 18-250mm Tamron is appently quite good, the Sigma 18-200mm is not
in the same ballpark, the Sigma 18-125mm would probably do if cost and
size did matter.

Are Tamron generally considered a good brand?

Interesting thread about the Pentax and Tamron 18-250s -
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25374952.

They would both be made in the same factory, Pentax do the same with Tokina.
Tamron makes some of the best lenses out there (90mm macro) they also make
some pretty average stuff, the price is generally the best guide.

Cheers.

Pete

Old November 6th 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"Wilba" wrote:

Pete D wrote:

The 18-250mm Tamron is appently quite good, the Sigma 18-200mm is not
in the same ballpark, the Sigma 18-125mm would probably do if cost and
size did matter.

Are Tamron generally considered a good brand?

Tamron makes some excellent lenses and some lemons. Tamron made the
majority of inexpensive "kit" lenses for film SLRs and continues to
make some for DSLRs, although Sigma and Cosina also compete in this
market. Unfortunately, many of those kit lenses are optically very
poor performers, being built down to a very low price. The 18-55mm
Canon kit lens is a current example, but various 35-80mm and 28-80mm
kit lenses for film SLRs were just as bad.

But Tamron does make some fine optics, notably the 90mm f/2.8 macro
and the 300mm f/2.8, both of which compare with camera brand lenses of
equivalent focal lengths and apertures.

Pentax K10D Lens advice Radu Digital Photography 11 November 1st 07 11:20 AM
Decided on a K10D - what lens to buy? Clive[_2_] Digital Photography 4 June 28th 07 04:14 AM
Did it - K10D RonB Digital Photography 2 May 14th 07 07:47 AM
Sigma lens KILLS this poor guy's Pentax K10D RichA Digital SLR Cameras 29 May 4th 07 02:18 PM
K10D, have you got yours yet? Pete D Digital SLR Cameras 4 November 25th 06 07:44 PM