Digital Image Cataloging and Web Interface

Old October 8th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PatrickA

Default Digital Image Cataloging and Web Interface

All,

(My apologies if this is not the correct forum, but it seems
close...feel free to redirect me if you know of a more appropriate
place.)

I am working with an organization (The Fleisher Art Memorial, www-dot-
fleisher-dot-org) that wants to catalog a few hundred digital images
they have on an XP network. Five users will need the ability to
catalog images, and ten will need the ability to search.

In addition they want whatever system they choose to support future
cataloging of images as they are uploaded via the internet by users
(artists) who are visiting their website and submitting artwork.
Think flickr.

They don't expect the image cataloging solution to supply the web
interface, but they want to know that the "database" used will be able
to be written to from a web page using industry-standard database/
interface programming.

Are they thinking about this in the correct way, or should they be
looking at a solution that writes image metadata "in" each image?

Anyone know of a "flickr in a box" they could use in the office and
also implement via the web?

Thanks,

Patrick

Old October 8th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
plb49

On Oct 7, 7:38?pm, PatrickA wrote:
[...]

I don't understand all the nuances of your needs, but we use Extensis
Portfolio for image catalogueing--

http://www.extensis.com/

Paul B.
www.scienceteacher.biz

Old October 8th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
yemin_gravowitz

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 16:38:43 -0700, PatrickA wrote:

[...]

Off the top of my head I can only think of a pay-ware program that comes close,
nothing freeware that I know of but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.
The one I'm thinking of is ThumbsPlus Pro from http://www.cerious.com/ . I
despise this company from long ago but took the time to try some newer versions.
I now hesitantly admit that they do some nice things. It also allows you to
create web-galleries. There's probably other programs that might do more of what
you need and do it better. Web-gallery making being one of the things that I
know can be done better, even with freeware. I may have not run across programs
like you want, or never used them, and to tell the truth I'm not well-versed in
networked situations. It came to mind because I know that if I want to backup
its database it's just one huge file (easy to share if needed). It's not split
into dozens of cryptic database files that have to be stored in a particular
location, as in ACDSee (which is quickly losing favor with me). You can also
quickly load any new database file from other collections and locations, or save
them to new locations under new names. You could set read-only and write-only
file-sharing rights to it. It also retains all thumbnail images and their
meta-data of all off-line storage devices that I might be using for cataloging
CDs and DVDs of photos. Each person could keep a backup of that single file on
their own machines in the event networking becomes defunct, without missing out
on thumbs or info to continue working. It includes an SQL format database query
and image similarity search in its more advanced options. You can also launch
external editors of your choice (under Customize Toolbar, a bit hard to find
that option). You speak of a few hundred images, I think my database for it has
over 150,000 photos, so that shouldn't be a problem for you. I catalog my
collection with several different programs so should one program become
vaporware one day I'm not left hanging. Presently using WhereIsIt, ACDSee, and
ThumbsPlus. It also has options in the file menu for connecting and
disconnecting to database volumes on networked drives. It sounds like it might
do what you need all around. With a hint of a shade of doubt on my part.

It's a start anyway. See if it works for your needs. Finding a one-size-fits-all
solution is usually difficult.

A good thing that you posted your org's URL. I would never offer free (and
helpful) advice to a for-profit business on usenet. Though I have been known to
offer unhelpful but sounds-good advice to them, which they'd only realize much
later. To their dismay and my giggling. The woes of a business asking for help
on usenet. They get exactly what they pay for without realizing it. There's more
than one way to skin the spammer. :-)
Old October 8th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
yemin_gravowitz

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 01:01:26 GMT, yemin_gravowitz wrote:

It's a start anyway. See if it works for your needs. Finding a one-size-fits-all
solution is usually difficult.

Oops, I take this back, it's not going to provide any of the web-user to
database needs.

In that case you might look into some web-based PHP applications like Gallery
from http://gallery.menalto.com/ (freeware) it also allows for setting up a
small online store situation with plugins, or Coppermine Photo Gallery from
http://coppermine-gallery.net/ (freeware). I don't think you're going to get
exactly what you want from them, but both are excellent web-based galleries for
visitor input. Go read their overview web pages to see all the features. Flickr
lacks in many ways compared to these.

Maybe a combo of one of these with ThumbsPlus can be used.

Old October 8th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

PatrickA wrote:

[...]

Basically you want an intranet web site for a small organization that
can deal with all sorts of graphical image formats with a variety of
metadata needs. Is that about right? :-)

Depending on specifics, an existing CMS like drupal might help you out,
especially if you can code php and know a little mysql. It already has
image and gallery options, which can be extended and modified.

Ideally, the metadata would be in both the image and the database (for
practical reasons).

But basically, no: There's not a flickr-in-a-box. Though you might
approach flickr about it and see what they say.

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html
Old October 8th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

yemin_gravowitz wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 01:01:26 GMT, yemin_gravowitz wrote:

It's a start anyway. See if it works for your needs. Finding a one-size-fits-all
solution is usually difficult.

Oops, I take this back, it's not going to provide any of the web-user to
database needs.

In that case you might look into some web-based PHP applications like Gallery
from http://gallery.menalto.com/ (freeware) it also allows for setting up a
small online store situation with plugins, or Coppermine Photo Gallery from
http://coppermine-gallery.net/ (freeware). I don't think you're going to get
exactly what you want from them, but both are excellent web-based galleries for
visitor input. Go read their overview web pages to see all the features. Flickr
lacks in many ways compared to these.

Maybe a combo of one of these with ThumbsPlus can be used.

I'll second the suggestion for checking out Gallery... it's free and
relatively easy to set up.