photo back up

Old October 2nd 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gp photo

Default photo back up

Since I went digital in 2001, I have about 20gb of pictures totaling
over 25,000 images. I want to back them up and not do any damage by
compressing them. I do incremental backups after events where I have
taken a lot of pictures but want a more comprehensive and planned kind
of back up.

Does anyone know of a simple back up program that will let me archive
for example, files dates from this date to that date or after a
certain date? I want to be able to back up to an external hard drive
or to a CD or DVD. I looked at Microsoft backup but it was doing
strange things with file dates. I am running Windows XP on a laptop
and have an ext HDD. Thanks in advance.

I looked at Stomp soft by Migo $39.99 at a computer store and thought
maybe that would do it. Is anyone familiar with it?

Old October 2nd 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali[_3_]

With only 20GB, you can just mirror what is stored on your internal hard
drive, to an external hard drive at periodic intervals. Then store the
external HD off-site.

If you're file storage was bigger, then I would try Microsoft Sync toy,
which was free last time I checked.

ups.com...

Old October 2nd 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mardon

gp photo wrote:

Since I went digital in 2001, I have about 20gb of pictures totaling
over 25,000 images. I want to back them up and not do any damage by
compressing them. I do incremental backups after events where I have
taken a lot of pictures but want a more comprehensive and planned kind
of back up.

Does anyone know of a simple back up program that will let me archive
for example, files dates from this date to that date or after a
certain date? I want to be able to back up to an external hard drive
or to a CD or DVD. I looked at Microsoft backup but it was doing
strange things with file dates. I am running Windows XP on a laptop
and have an ext HDD. Thanks in advance.

I looked at Stomp soft by Migo $39.99 at a computer store and thought
maybe that would do it. Is anyone familiar with it?

I've used Backup Magic for several years to backup my data to external
drives. It's a very simple program that has never failed to operate as
expected (which is a big statement when it comes to software.) It costs US
$25. http://www.moonsoftware.com/bmagic.asp Some people think it's
foolish to buy it when there are numerous free programs that claim to do
much the same thing, including Windows backup. As far as I'm concerned,
however, it's one of the best utility programs I've ever purchased but I
have over 1TB of data to backup.. I use Western Digital, 1TB, dual-drive,
"My Book" enclosures. With only 20GB of data, you might not need a backup
program at all. You could probably do it manually in Windows Explorer.
Just the same Backup Magic is a great little program. You can always
download the free trial and see for yourself.
Old October 2nd 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PCs Rule

If you're file storage was bigger, then I would try Microsoft Sync toy,
which was free last time I checked.

Here's the link to the SyncToy:

I don't understand "If you're file storage was bigger, then I would try
Microsoft Sync toy". Try it anyway. It will
seem slow the first time you configure and run a sync (but no slower than
copying to another drive), but it's fast
after the initial sync. And, yes, it is still free. Also, if you use
Stomp, you can only access the files with Stomp. Not that
that's necessarily bad, but with the SyncToy, it's just another storage
location that you can directly access from explorer,
my computer, DOS, however you want.

Old October 3rd 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article . com,
gp photo wrote:

Since I went digital in 2001, I have about 20gb of pictures totaling
over 25,000 images. I want to back them up and not do any damage by
compressing them. I do incremental backups after events where I have
taken a lot of pictures but want a more comprehensive and planned kind
of back up.

Does anyone know of a simple back up program that will let me archive
for example, files dates from this date to that date or after a
certain date? I want to be able to back up to an external hard drive
or to a CD or DVD. I looked at Microsoft backup but it was doing
strange things with file dates. I am running Windows XP on a laptop
and have an ext HDD. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about backup software like what you describe. I have
probably around 300GB of digital photos. My photo library sits on an
external disk drive. Each time I dump a lot of photos on it, I copy the
entire thing to another external disk drive using the built-in Mac OS X
cloning utility and I take the copy to my office at work. I also keep
the most recent stuff on my laptop. This is as simple as it gets for
backups, but it works, its cheap, and my photos and other files will
survive even if my apartment goes up in flames.
Old October 3rd 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

gp photo added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Since I went digital in 2001, I have about 20gb of pictures
totaling over 25,000 images. I want to back them up and not
do any damage by compressing them. I do incremental backups
after events where I have taken a lot of pictures but want a
more comprehensive and planned kind of back up.

Does anyone know of a simple back up program that will let me
archive for example, files dates from this date to that date
or after a certain date? I want to be able to back up to an
external hard drive or to a CD or DVD. I looked at Microsoft
backup but it was doing strange things with file dates. I am
running Windows XP on a laptop and have an ext HDD. Thanks in
advance.

I looked at Stomp soft by Migo $39.99 at a computer store and
thought maybe that would do it. Is anyone familiar with it?

I use grandfathered external HDs with one in a safe place in my
house and the other in my bank safety deposit box. I also
periodically back up to optical, formerly CD-R and now DVD-R. The
key is to establish a file management scheme that works for your
needs and a reasonable backup scheme. Sounds like you have the
incrementals nailed.

As to software, I just do a plain Windows folder copy for my
external HD backups and Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 for optical. I
could use my Acronis True Image 9.0 but haven't tried it for this
purpose.

--
HP, aka Jerry
Old October 3rd 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jer

gp photo wrote:
Since I went digital in 2001, I have about 20gb of pictures totaling
over 25,000 images. I want to back them up and not do any damage by
compressing them. I do incremental backups after events where I have
taken a lot of pictures but want a more comprehensive and planned kind
of back up.

Does anyone know of a simple back up program that will let me archive
for example, files dates from this date to that date or after a
certain date? I want to be able to back up to an external hard drive
or to a CD or DVD. I looked at Microsoft backup but it was doing
strange things with file dates. I am running Windows XP on a laptop
and have an ext HDD. Thanks in advance.

I looked at Stomp soft by Migo $39.99 at a computer store and thought
maybe that would do it. Is anyone familiar with it?

I use the KISS principle - there is no simpler backup process than the
backup command to a hard drive, which are bigger and cheaper now than
ever. After copying files to fill a mirrored pair, remove one and store
safely off site, keep the other one. Plug in two fresh ones, format,
and start all over. Do like I did, buy a crate of 300Gb drives for a
bulk price. Slap a name/date label on each one and refresh both
annually by reformatting each one and recopying from the other. An
external dive housing makes this easy, my brother's closet makes it
possible.

For mission critical backups, screw finicky optical drives, fragile
optical disks, changing technology, disappearing/morphing proprietary
software, shiny new optical coasters. Hard drive technology isn't going
anywhere for a long time, nor is the copy command. KISS... it's what
makes **** keep working.

P.S. - I had one drive fail to spin up when new, and the retail shop
replaced it at no cost during an errand trip to the beer store. Win-win.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old October 3rd 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

in my opion the best way to back to back up your files is to store
them on a removable harddrive

What imaging software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images automatically? Ebike Charlie Digital Photography 8 December 20th 06 08:58 AM
Photo Back-Up Solution! Bill Crocker Digital Photography 3 October 12th 06 03:18 PM
Back to Lew G- Blank In The Darkroom 4 January 18th 06 08:43 PM
Wish I hadn't gone back to reshoot-Link to original photo william mcdonald Photographing Nature 0 June 15th 04 04:02 PM