CompactFlash speed rating

Old July 20th 04, 12:39 PM
DJ

Default CompactFlash speed rating

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:44:15 GMT, "Gareth Tuckwell"
wrote:

Do compact flash memory cards with a faster write speed (40x) allow you to
take more photos per second on an EOS300d? Or am I just as well buying a
normal speed memory card??

What is the advantage of the faster speed rating?

Thanks

You can get a very good idea from this
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

Unfortunately the 300D does not benefit hugely from a faster card, indicating
the write speed is limited by the camera rather than the card.

Old July 20th 04, 12:59 PM
Mark B.

"Gareth Tuckwell" wrote in message
Do compact flash memory cards with a faster write speed (40x) allow you to
take more photos per second on an EOS300d? Or am I just as well buying a
normal speed memory card??

What is the advantage of the faster speed rating?

Thanks

No, the frames per second won't be affected by a faster card. That's
limited by the hardware (image processor) in the camera. A faster card will
(theoretically) allow the camera to write the buffer faster to the card, and
allow faster downloads through a USB2 card reader. The 300D is USB 1.1, so
faster cards won't make downloading through the camera any faster.

Mark

Old July 20th 04, 02:04 PM
Arte Phacting

you'd probably notice a difference in a USB 2 or built in card reader

The card has a capacity to trnsfer data but the camera can only go so fast
in transferring image data

Artie

Old July 20th 04, 03:32 PM
Alan D

It depends. The 300D can take four pictures quickly and store them
internally. As each picture is taken, it then starts the process of writing
the image out to the compact flash card. Once a picture is written, the
internal memory buffer frees up and can take the next picture. The faster
cards will make the difference in the 300D taking 3 seconds to write an
image vs. 6 seconds.

Take a look at this site:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

Alan D.