Lights for portraits

Old September 19th 04, 03:00 PM
Tony

Default Lights for portraits

Hi guys,
can somebody help me to choose the correct lights for indoor portraits.
I would like something pretty simple and not too expensive, but at the
same time professional style. I was thinking about softbox (with
flash), diffuser and a reflector. Any advice?

Thank you very much,
Tony

Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net
Old September 19th 04, 04:07 PM
Matt Clara

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi guys,
can somebody help me to choose the correct lights for indoor portraits.
I would like something pretty simple and not too expensive, but at the
same time professional style. I was thinking about softbox (with
flash), diffuser and a reflector. Any advice?

Thank you very much,
Tony

Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

You could check out Ebay, there's lots going on there. I went through this
same process a few years back and ended up with two Alien Bee 800's from
www.alienbees.com They are great lights at an excellent value. The 800's
are a little too much for close quarters such as a small bedroom with white
walls, but they perform spectacularly when I'm shooting wedding formals,
etc.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old September 19th 04, 04:22 PM
Martin Francis

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi guys,
can somebody help me to choose the correct lights for indoor portraits.
I would like something pretty simple and not too expensive, but at the
same time professional style. I was thinking about softbox (with
flash), diffuser and a reflector. Any advice?

Sounds absolutely right to me. Keep it simple, add lights later if you need
to.

no, and yes...."

Old September 19th 04, 07:12 PM
Alan Browne

Tony wrote:

Hi guys,
can somebody help me to choose the correct lights for indoor portraits.
I would like something pretty simple and not too expensive, but at the
same time professional style. I was thinking about softbox (with
flash), diffuser and a reflector. Any advice?

A cheap AC flash for the background: $45.00 ... may be difficult
to get subtle lighting but works to illuminate behind the subject
can be adjusted by positioning and angle to get light from a stop
or so below to a stop or so above the exposure ... spill pattern,
not equal over the BG area.

An AlienBee 400 for main light with softbox.

A reflector to fill the shaddows a bit from the main.

That is as basic as it gets... difficult to get the fill 'right',
however.

To the above, better to add one more flash for fill. think also
of background (material, setting), posing stool/chair, a small
table perhaps... foot rests, etc.

Cheers,
Alan