K10D - one lens?

Old November 7th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default K10D - one lens?

On Nov 7, 4:58 am, "Wilba" wrote:

So the question you want me to ask is, let's say you go for a Pentax K10D
and want to get going with two versatile, general purpose lenses, what would
you choose? That's not the question I'm asking. :-)

There is no "correct" answer to your original question.

The reason you have such a wide variety of lenses available is that no
single lens does everything well.

It really depends on what sort of photos you want to take and what
your shooting style is. If you're unsure of these things my first
suggestion is to get an inexpensive kit lens until you are clear on
what you want your One Lens to do.

Old November 7th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Mitchum

Pete D wrote:

Why would you get a DSLR and then buy only one lens to cover all focal
lengths? The kit lens is pretty good, but the DA 16-45/4 is totally
worth the upgrade. And I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you
have a Pentax body but don't have the FA 50/1.4, you're missing out.

If you need a long zoom, save your nickles and dimes and get the DA*
50-135/2.8.

Long zoom? Medium at best I think.

After the 1.5 crop factor it's pretty far out there. Much more and you
need a tripod. Or at least *I* do. :-)

There's a 300mm coming down the pike, too.

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html
Old November 7th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Mitchum

Wilba wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Wilba wrote:

Another hypothetical ... let's say you go for a Pentax K10D
(http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k10), and want to get going with one
versatile, general purpose lens, what would you choose?

Why would you get a DSLR and then buy only one lens to cover all focal
lengths? The kit lens is pretty good, but the DA 16-45/4 is totally
worth the upgrade. And I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you
have a Pentax body but don't have the FA 50/1.4, you're missing out.

If you need a long zoom, save your nickles and dimes and get the DA*
50-135/2.8.

So the question you want me to ask is, let's say you go for a Pentax K10D
and want to get going with two versatile, general purpose lenses, what would
you choose? That's not the question I'm asking. :-)

I asked why you wanted only one lens. It doesn't make any sense to me
that anyone would get a DSLR and then never want to change lenses. The
super-ultra-mega zooms (18-300 or whatever) are full of compromises.
They might be OK lenses, but the whole point of a camera with
interchangable lenses is to minimize the compromises per lens.

Get a ZLR (or whatever they're calling them now) instead. It'll have one
lens, and will probably be cheaper.

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html
Old November 8th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_2_]

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Paul Mitchum wrote:
Wilba wrote:

[...]

Yes, I heard you the first time, and you still don't understand the
question. :-) The key phrases are "verstile", and "general purpose". "Only"
or "never" don't appear and aren't implied.

Old November 8th 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Paul Mitchum" wrote in message
Pete D wrote:

Why would you get a DSLR and then buy only one lens to cover all focal
lengths? The kit lens is pretty good, but the DA 16-45/4 is totally
worth the upgrade. And I've said it before and I'll say it again: If
you
have a Pentax body but don't have the FA 50/1.4, you're missing out.

If you need a long zoom, save your nickles and dimes and get the DA*
50-135/2.8.

Long zoom? Medium at best I think.

After the 1.5 crop factor it's pretty far out there. Much more and you
need a tripod. Or at least *I* do. :-)

There's a 300mm coming down the pike, too.

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html

Already have a reasonable 70-300mm so hard to justify for the small amount
of long shooting I do.

Old November 8th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"Wilba" wrote:

I'm already clear. The question is, what would _you_ do if you wanted to get
going with one versatile, general purpose lens?

For a high quality zoom lens with excellent optical performance and a
useful range of focal lengths, I recommend the Pentax 16-45mm f/4.

Old November 8th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
"Wilba" wrote:

I'm already clear. The question is, what would _you_ do if you wanted to
get
going with one versatile, general purpose lens?

For a high quality zoom lens with excellent optical performance and a
useful range of focal lengths, I recommend the Pentax 16-45mm f/4.

I have this lens and it is very nice and I use it a lot but 16-70 would have
been so much nicer.

Old November 8th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Bean

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 06:38:25 +1100, "Pete D"
wrote:

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
.. .
"Wilba" wrote:

I'm already clear. The question is, what would _you_ do if you wanted to
get
going with one versatile, general purpose lens?

For a high quality zoom lens with excellent optical performance and a
useful range of focal lengths, I recommend the Pentax 16-45mm f/4.

I have this lens and it is very nice and I use it a lot but 16-70 would have
been so much nicer.

I'm sure Tony will disagree, but along with quite a lot of
other users I find the Sigma 17-70 works rather well on
Pentax bodies, arguably better than the DA16-45 or at least
equal in the common ranges.

The Sigma also shows less CA and has better handling (the
16-45 "reverse" zoom annoyed me) and it has better close
focusing. All in all a very useful lens.

--
John Bean
Old November 9th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_2_]

Tony Polson wrote:
Wilba wrote:

The question is, what would _you_ do if you wanted to get
going with one versatile, general purpose lens?

For a high quality zoom lens with excellent optical performance and a
useful range of focal lengths, I recommend the Pentax 16-45mm f/4.

This one seems to get a lot of approval. Thanks.

Pentax K10D Lens advice Radu Digital Photography 11 November 1st 07 11:20 AM
Decided on a K10D - what lens to buy? Clive[_2_] Digital Photography 4 June 28th 07 04:14 AM
Did it - K10D RonB Digital Photography 2 May 14th 07 07:47 AM
Sigma lens KILLS this poor guy's Pentax K10D RichA Digital SLR Cameras 29 May 4th 07 02:18 PM
K10D, have you got yours yet? Pete D Digital SLR Cameras 4 November 25th 06 07:44 PM