Pentax should be ashamed

Old October 4th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Default Pentax should be ashamed

ASAAR wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 07:40:46 -0400, Not Disclosed wrote:

They release a 12 megapixel camera. Is it an enthusiast-level DSLR?
No, it's a P&S! A CHEAP P&S!!
. . .

Why is that bad Richard? Pentax will have 2 new dSLR cameras for the
spring PMA show. The K10D is a hard act to follow, so Pentax wants to
get it right. The K1Z will likely be a magnesium body, weather sealed
12.2 megapixel.

I could tell you more but then I would have to kill you, and eat your
brains.

Why would that be bad, other than that it would be a small morsel?

You stole my thunder, I was contemplating a similar comment. I suppose
the one thing we can rely on in this ng is lots repetitive comments on
the topic of 'dslr vs p&s', and AA batteries and chargers.
Dave Cohen
Old October 4th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

Chris Gilbert wrote:

''...The Optio A40 - Pentax's first 12MP camera - features a mode
claimed to allow users to produce photographs to rival those
captured using a digital SLR..."

Which is an admission from the manufacturers themselves that
P&S cameras do not conventionally compete with SLRs in terms
of picture quality.

?

It's marketing-speak. It doesn't prove anything. It does two things: It
reinforces the idea that DSLRs are better than point-and-shoots (as
evidenced by your subsequent assertion), and also tries to raise the
value of the new point-and-shoot by comparing it to DSLRs.

If the marketing speak were at all honest, it would compare lenses, not
pixel counts, because all things being equal, the lens is the single
most important part of picture quality.

Instead, there's a special dynamic range reduction mode that finds
details in highlights and shadows. A neeto feature, but hardly one that
will turn you into Ansel Adams.

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html
Old October 5th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip122

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 07:40:46 -0400, Not Disclosed wrote:

I could tell you more but then I would have to kill you, and eat your
brains.

There's no sense in starving yourself to death.

Old October 5th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Watcher

Rich wrote:
They release a 12 megapixel camera. Is it an enthusiast-level DSLR?
No, it's a P&S! A CHEAP P&S!!

Let's figure this out Pentax was the last 10.2 mp DSLR to market and
they built the camera the Nikon D80 could have been.

I guess they are still realigning with Hoya, Kenko and Tokina to see
what the future holds.

Old October 5th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
says...

I could tell you more but then I would have to kill you, and eat your
brains.

Not worried about BSE?

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Old October 5th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
noname[_2_]

Rich wrote:

They release a 12 megapixel camera. Is it an enthusiast-level
DSLR? No, it's a P&S! A CHEAP P&S!!

Give it time, Rich. That new enthusiast-level DSLR you're wanting so
badly will come eventually. In the meantime, enjoy the great Pentax
DSLR cameras already available - the award winning K10D, for example.
Then, if you like the newer, upcoming, camera better, either sell this
one or keep it as a backup.

stewart
Old October 5th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk..._prevents_blac...

Why is that bad Richard? Pentax will have 2 new dSLR cameras for the
spring PMA show. The K10D is a hard act to follow, so Pentax wants to
get it right. The K1Z will likely be a magnesium body, weather sealed
12.2 megapixel.

I could tell you more but then I would have to kill you, and eat your
brains.

That is encouraging. People don't generally understand, but companies
do realize the importance of high-end, flagship cameras. Even those
who will never pony up the funds for a K1Z will be influenced in their
buys because of it. For every Enzo Ferrari, there are a hundred
people who because of it bought a lower model.

Old October 5th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Oct 5, 9:30 am, noname wrote:
Rich wrote:
They release a 12 megapixel camera. Is it an enthusiast-level
DSLR? No, it's a P&S! A CHEAP P&S!!

Give it time, Rich. That new enthusiast-level DSLR you're wanting so
badly will come eventually. In the meantime, enjoy the great Pentax
DSLR cameras already available - the award winning K10D, for example.
Then, if you like the newer, upcoming, camera better, either sell this
one or keep it as a backup.

stewart

No offense to the K10D buyers, but a plastic camera does not a DSLR
company make. Otherwise, they'd all be Samsung. Pentax desperately
needs a flagship, with flagship features, made of magnesium.

Old October 8th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Self

Rich wrote:
They release a 12 megapixel camera. Is it an enthusiast-level DSLR?
No, it's a P&S! A CHEAP P&S!!
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk..._prevents_blac...

Why is that bad Richard? Pentax will have 2 new dSLR cameras for the
spring PMA show. The K10D is a hard act to follow, so Pentax wants to
get it right. The K1Z will likely be a magnesium body, weather sealed
12.2 megapixel.

I could tell you more but then I would have to kill you, and eat your
brains.

That is encouraging. People don't generally understand, but companies
do realize the importance of high-end, flagship cameras. Even those
who will never pony up the funds for a K1Z will be influenced in their
buys because of it. For every Enzo Ferrari, there are a hundred
people who because of it bought a lower model.

A cheaper Ferrari? Those down around $125,000 US, you mean?

You really need to learn something about plastics and metal and
combining the two, but I must admit, that if Pentax comes out with a
topnotch K1Z or whatever they choose to call it, I'll probably pick up
one up before year's end. To go with my K10D. At that time, I can
either sell or store my *istD. I'll be far more interested in weather
sealing, speedier focus, buffer size and similar features, though,
than I will in whether or not there's plastic used on the camera and
whether or not the body itself is magnesium or stainless steel.

Old October 9th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Rich wrote:

edited, for brevity

No offense to the K10D buyers, but a plastic camera does not a DSLR
company make. Otherwise, they'd all be Samsung. Pentax desperately
needs a flagship, with flagship features, made of magnesium.

Hello, Rich:

Oh, yes, and what's wrong with Chevrolet, for making its "flagship" car
(i.e., Corvette) out of fiberglass, eh? They should use sheet metal,
just as everybody else does! ;-)

Cordially,
John Turco