A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

A few more from Yosemite



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old May 18th 17, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 37
Default A few more from Yosemite

On 5/18/2017 4:49 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:


| Technical note: I see the images but need to set
| "No Style". I also wonder about the and . Maybe
| some kind of software is inserting those? They serve
| no purpose and make it harder to copy the link.
|
| The "No Style" is a Fujifilm EXIF header group in the RAW (RAF) files,

I meant No Style in the browser. Dropbox is doing something
that hides the images from me, but if I go to View - Style
- No Style to drop out the CSS then I can see it. I just
mentioned that in case others have trouble.


no need to drop out css.

however, if cookies are blocked (and you've said you do that), then
dropox will display a signup popup, which can easily be dismissed.


I've noticed that .... and wondered WHY that happened! Thanks for
explaining. :-)

| The " & " are standard Usenet UTF-8 URL (link) delimiters and I use
| them to prevent broken URL links. However, some nonconforming Usenet
| clients will still break URLs even if the delimiters are used. I just
| do what I can to prevent that.

Not a big deal. I just find it easier to click-select the line
to paste in a browser, while the brackets require a
more careful drag-select.


no need to copy/paste. the link should be directly clickable. if not,
get a better newsreader.


Agreed. The links 'work' for me using Thunderbird.

--
David B.

  #12  
Old May 18th 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,732
Default A few more from Yosemite

In article , David B.
wrote:

| The " & " are standard Usenet UTF-8 URL (link) delimiters and I use
| them to prevent broken URL links. However, some nonconforming Usenet
| clients will still break URLs even if the delimiters are used. I just
| do what I can to prevent that.

Not a big deal. I just find it easier to click-select the line
to paste in a browser, while the brackets require a
more careful drag-select.


no need to copy/paste. the link should be directly clickable. if not,
get a better newsreader.


Agreed. The links 'work' for me using Thunderbird.


if anything at all works in thunderbird, be very happy.
  #13  
Old May 18th 17, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 37
Default A few more from Yosemite

On 5/18/2017 5:15 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

| The " & " are standard Usenet UTF-8 URL (link) delimiters and I use
| them to prevent broken URL links. However, some nonconforming Usenet
| clients will still break URLs even if the delimiters are used. I just
| do what I can to prevent that.

Not a big deal. I just find it easier to click-select the line
to paste in a browser, while the brackets require a
more careful drag-select.

no need to copy/paste. the link should be directly clickable. if not,
get a better newsreader.


Agreed. The links 'work' for me using Thunderbird.


if anything at all works in thunderbird, be very happy.


I don't APPEAR to have ANY problems reading Usenet groups with
Thunderbird, so I *AM* very happy! :-)

--
David B.

  #14  
Old May 18th 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,137
Default A few more from Yosemite

"Savageduck" wrote

| When you say "browser", are you refering to Firefox, or Outlook Express?
| ...and what do you mean by "hides the images from me"?
| If they are hidden, how are you able to view them?
|
| Dropbox shouldn't be doing anything with regard to EXIF changes.
|
Firefox. An increasing number of pages show
up with partially blank content. If you're not
familiar with webpage coding it's hard to explain.
HTML specifies something like an image. CSS can
be used to specify details like position and border.
Sometimes CSS is used to hide content which is
then only made visible via script. I'm not sure
why. So with script routinely disabled, I sometimes
see missing items. But the if I also disable CSS then
I just get the basic HTML and it works.

Undoubtedly more than you care to know. It's
part of the increasing complication of protecting
privacy and security online.

| I see that you use MS Outlook Express, I suspect since it is not a
| particularly good Usenet client that it is not conforming when it comes
| to dealing with the " " delimiters. What you should be seeing is a
| clickable URL/link contained within those delimiters. However,
| admitedly for those who have to use your method, some care must be
| employed when making the selection.

It has nothing to do with OE, which works quite
well for Usenet. And there's no reason to put
brackets around a link. It serves no purpose and
does not conform with any kind of HTML standard.
But it's not a big deal, as I said. I just prefer not to
click links in the post.... Don't ask.


  #15  
Old May 18th 17, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,732
Default A few more from Yosemite

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| I see that you use MS Outlook Express, I suspect since it is not a
| particularly good Usenet client that it is not conforming when it comes
| to dealing with the " " delimiters. What you should be seeing is a
| clickable URL/link contained within those delimiters. However,
| admitedly for those who have to use your method, some care must be
| employed when making the selection.

It has nothing to do with OE, which works quite
well for Usenet. And there's no reason to put
brackets around a link.


yes there is.

It serves no purpose and
does not conform with any kind of HTML standard.


wrong.

But it's not a big deal, as I said. I just prefer not to
click links in the post.... Don't ask.


much easier than copy/pasting it.
  #16  
Old May 19th 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,295
Default A few more from Yosemite

On 2017-05-18 22:50:23 +0000, "Mayayana" said:

"Savageduck" wrote

| When you say "browser", are you refering to Firefox, or Outlook Express?
| ...and what do you mean by "hides the images from me"?
| If they are hidden, how are you able to view them?
|
| Dropbox shouldn't be doing anything with regard to EXIF changes.
|
Firefox. An increasing number of pages show
up with partially blank content. If you're not
familiar with webpage coding it's hard to explain.
HTML specifies something like an image. CSS can
be used to specify details like position and border.
Sometimes CSS is used to hide content which is
then only made visible via script. I'm not sure
why. So with script routinely disabled, I sometimes
see missing items. But the if I also disable CSS then
I just get the basic HTML and it works.

Undoubtedly more than you care to know. It's
part of the increasing complication of protecting
privacy and security online.

| I see that you use MS Outlook Express, I suspect since it is not a
| particularly good Usenet client that it is not conforming when it comes
| to dealing with the " " delimiters. What you should be seeing is a
| clickable URL/link contained within those delimiters. However,
| admitedly for those who have to use your method, some care must be
| employed when making the selection.

It has nothing to do with OE, which works quite
well for Usenet. And there's no reason to put
brackets around a link. It serves no purpose and
does not conform with any kind of HTML standard.
But it's not a big deal, as I said. I just prefer not to
click links in the post.... Don't ask.


Perhaps you should do some research, and read the following:
" The angle-bracket "" and "" and double-quote (") characters are
excluded because they are often used as the delimiters around URI in
text documents and protocol fields. The character "#" is excluded
because it is used to delimit a URI from a fragment identifier in URI
references (Section 4). The percent character "%" is excluded because
it is used for the encoding of escaped characters.

delims = "" | "" | "#" | "%" | ""

Which is found he
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

....and why would the above clickable URL contained, and delimited by
angle-brackets be less secure than the undelimited version below?
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
--
Regards,

Savageduck

  #17  
Old May 19th 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,137
Default A few more from Yosemite

"Savageduck" wrote

| Perhaps you should do some research, and read the following:
| " The angle-bracket "" and "" and double-quote (") characters are
| excluded because they are often used as the delimiters around URI in
| text documents and protocol fields. The character "#" is excluded
| because it is used to delimit a URI from a fragment identifier in URI
| references (Section 4). The percent character "%" is excluded because
| it is used for the encoding of escaped characters.
|

He's just talking about what can't be used in a
URL because it's used in HTML. In HTML code
you might have something like
A HREF="www.dropbox.com"dropbox/A

But that's in the code itself. Newsreaders and email
programs recognize a URL by the syntax and act
accordingly. Your addition of is irrelevant. It's
not proper, readable HTML and it would make no
difference if it were, just as my HTML snippet above
will show as plain text in this post because this post
is not HTML. You could just as easily have used
*www.dropbox.com* or (www.dropbox.com). The
extra marks serve no purpose. (Though some
marks may prevent your newsreadr from recognizing
the line as a link.)

| ...and why would the above clickable URL contained, and delimited by
| angle-brackets be less secure than the undelimited version below?
| http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

It's not. I didn't mean to complicate things. I was
just noting that your brackets are superfluous and
that it's easier to copy the URL without them. Not to
worry. If you find it convenient it's no big deal.

The security part is not directly related. I use a
number of browsers
and clicking a link in email or a newsgroup post will
activate the default browser. I happen to have IE set
as the default, which I don't allow to go online. I block
it at the firewall. Why? Because IE is profoundly unsafe
and quirky in rendering webpages. But it's good for using
on Windows. I like to use it for reading HTML files locally.
It's quick and lightweight. I also don't want to risk
accidentally clicking a link in something without meaning to.
I also don't want software going online without asking.
By setting IE as the default I have a good reader for local
HTML files while I also block anything going online that I
didn't specifically intend to do so.

Thus, when someone sends or posts a link, I copy
it and paste into Firefox or Pale Moon.

I don't know if you have default programs on Mac.
I guess you probably don't even see the full file names.
On Windows, the default program is automatically
called for a specific file extension. So for instance, if
I install software that then tries to call home without
asking, that will call up my default browser, which is
IE, which will then show an error window saying that
it's unable to reach the website. Likewise, if I
accidentally click a link in an email without meaning
to, that will call IE which will be unable to reach the link.
Thus, my arrangement is handy for both privacy and
security.


  #18  
Old May 19th 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,732
Default A few more from Yosemite

In article , Mayayana
wrote:


| Perhaps you should do some research, and read the following:
| " The angle-bracket "" and "" and double-quote (") characters are
| excluded because they are often used as the delimiters around URI in
| text documents and protocol fields. The character "#" is excluded
| because it is used to delimit a URI from a fragment identifier in URI
| references (Section 4). The percent character "%" is excluded because
| it is used for the encoding of escaped characters.
|

He's just talking about what can't be used in a
URL because it's used in HTML. In HTML code
you might have something like
A HREF="www.dropbox.com"dropbox/A


it's talking about text, not html.

But that's in the code itself. Newsreaders and email
programs recognize a URL by the syntax and act
accordingly.


nope

Your addition of is irrelevant. It's
not proper, readable HTML and it would make no
difference if it were, just as my HTML snippet above
will show as plain text in this post because this post
is not HTML.


it's not html. it's *text*, and not just newsreaders or email apps
either.

You could just as easily have used
*www.dropbox.com* or (www.dropbox.com). The
extra marks serve no purpose. (Though some
marks may prevent your newsreadr from recognizing
the line as a link.)


even less likely to work.

| ...and why would the above clickable URL contained, and delimited by
| angle-brackets be less secure than the undelimited version below?
| http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

It's not. I didn't mean to complicate things. I was
just noting that your brackets are superfluous and
that it's easier to copy the URL without them. Not to
worry. If you find it convenient it's no big deal.


they're not superfluous.

The security part is not directly related. I use a
number of browsers
and clicking a link in email or a newsgroup post will
activate the default browser. I happen to have IE set
as the default, which I don't allow to go online. I block
it at the firewall. Why? Because IE is profoundly unsafe
and quirky in rendering webpages. But it's good for using
on Windows. I like to use it for reading HTML files locally.
It's quick and lightweight. I also don't want to risk
accidentally clicking a link in something without meaning to.
I also don't want software going online without asking.
By setting IE as the default I have a good reader for local
HTML files while I also block anything going online that I
didn't specifically intend to do so.

Thus, when someone sends or posts a link, I copy
it and paste into Firefox or Pale Moon.

I don't know if you have default programs on Mac.


of course there are. don't be stupid.

I guess you probably don't even see the full file names.


what ever gave you that idea???

On Windows, the default program is automatically
called for a specific file extension. So for instance, if
I install software that then tries to call home without
asking, that will call up my default browser, which is
IE, which will then show an error window saying that
it's unable to reach the website. Likewise, if I
accidentally click a link in an email without meaning
to, that will call IE which will be unable to reach the link.
Thus, my arrangement is handy for both privacy and
security.


and clumsiness.
  #19  
Old May 19th 17, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,137
Default A few more from Yosemite

"nospam" wrote

..... I simply can't respond to any of your
recent posts. You have no idea what you're
talking about. Sometimes you do. Sometimes
you don't. What I find odd is that you can't
tell the difference.


  #20  
Old May 19th 17, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,732
Default A few more from Yosemite

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

"nospam" wrote

.... I simply can't respond to any of your
recent posts.


true. you can't.

You have no idea what you're
talking about.


far more than you do.

Sometimes you do. Sometimes
you don't.


this is one of the former.

What I find odd is that you can't
tell the difference.


what i find odd is that you refuse to learn.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SFO, Yosemite, etc. Alan Browne 35mm Photo Equipment 10 March 2nd 08 11:57 PM
SFO, Yosemite, etc. Alan Browne Digital SLR Cameras 19 March 2nd 08 04:46 PM
Yosemite Photos [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 1 November 25th 07 12:32 AM
Yosemite Photos [email protected] Digital Photography 0 November 24th 07 11:15 PM
Yosemite [email protected] Digital Photography 64 December 30th 06 07:40 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.