A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old May 9th 17, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20,219
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

In article , android
wrote:

[---]
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


you still haven't fixed your sig delimiter.

two dashes and a space, then return.


That's probably an Avast provided sig...


more reason to get rid of it
  #12  
Old May 9th 17, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,932
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Wally:

Currently I have a Canon 7D2. Lenses include the 100L and 100-400 II.
I shoot mostly birds (with the 100-400 II) and closeups of bugs
(right, with the 100L, but I also have the MPE65). Those are all FF
lenses. I'm throwing away more than 60% of the image. On the other
hand, I like the pixel density of the 7D2, and its burst speed.

So, should I buy a 6D or 5D3 or 5D4? Or just stick to the 7D2?


Firstly, how can anyone say what is right for you?

That aside, if you want a full-frame camera you obviously cannot stick
with your 7D. If you have EF-S lenses and want to save money you stick
with the 7D; those lenses will not fit the 5D/6D. The 7D is a good
camera, used by plenty of pros. If you're getting good results with it
(and you definitely should be) and you don't care about the smaller
sensor, stick with it.

I have a 6D and 5D Mark III and a 5D Mark IV. Sometimes I want a
lighter camera and I use the 6D. Often I use a tripod and I am more
likely to grab the 5D. It's quite hefty with the battery grip
installed. And recently I bought an M5 with the 18-150 and the 28mm
macro. It's an incredible camera at its size point.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33826784322/


Here's my M closeup (Nizo lense) kit and a sample... ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
--
teleportation kills
http://www.giroditalia.it/it/live/
  #13  
Old May 9th 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,245
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

On 5/9/2017 1:31 AM, Wally wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 21:55:26 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Wally:

Currently I have a Canon 7D2. Lenses include the 100L and 100-400 II.
I shoot mostly birds (with the 100-400 II) and closeups of bugs
(right, with the 100L, but I also have the MPE65). Those are all FF
lenses. I'm throwing away more than 60% of the image. On the other
hand, I like the pixel density of the 7D2, and its burst speed.

So, should I buy a 6D or 5D3 or 5D4? Or just stick to the 7D2?


Firstly, how can anyone say what is right for you?

That aside, if you want a full-frame camera you obviously cannot stick
with your 7D. If you have EF-S lenses and want to save money you stick
with the 7D; those lenses will not fit the 5D/6D. The 7D is a good
camera, used by plenty of pros. If you're getting good results with it
(and you definitely should be) and you don't care about the smaller
sensor, stick with it.

I have a 6D and 5D Mark III and a 5D Mark IV. Sometimes I want a
lighter camera and I use the 6D. Often I use a tripod and I am more
likely to grab the 5D. It's quite hefty with the battery grip
installed. And recently I bought an M5 with the 18-150 and the 28mm
macro. It's an incredible camera at its size point.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33826784322/


Thanks to all who responded. I agree with everything you guys said.

I'm quite happy with the 7D2. But I have some spare cash in the bank
and was thinking how I might spend it. From what I can see, FF is not
going to give me much benefit. But hey, maybe I was overlooking
something. So I thought I would see if I could raise some ideas.

But your responses confirm that I should keep the money and stick with
what I have.

It might not have been so. A few years ago I was shooting macro with a
Canon 70-300mm zoom and a 500D closeup lens. I was getting darn good
results with it too. But I had some cash and decided to get the 100mm
L. And it was significantly better than the old rig. So sometimes one
can overlook something and miss out.

And that's why I thought I would ask my question about possibly moving
up to FF.


I kept out of the thread because I had no idea what you like to shoot,
and am am not familiar with Canon's line.
I frequently do WA. That's why I got my FF D800.
The drawback is that it's low light capability, while decent, could be
better. I got a D500, which is an APS C, with a much higher shutter
speed, than my FF. I use it for zoo and wildlife shooting, and my FF for
landscapes.

--
PeterN
  #14  
Old May 9th 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nap
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

In article ,
PeterN wrote:
[ ... ] I got a D500, which is an APS C, with a much higher shutter
speed, than my FF. [ ... ]


1/8000 sec is much, much faster than 1/8000 sec.
  #15  
Old May 9th 17, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,932
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

In article ,
nap wrote:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:
[ ... ] I got a D500, which is an APS C, with a much higher shutter
speed, than my FF. [ ... ]


1/8000 sec is much, much faster than 1/8000 sec.


I think that PeterN had the frame rate in mind, FPS...
--
teleportation kills
  #16  
Old May 9th 17, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,597
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

On 2017-05-09 17:14:55 +0000, nap said:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:
[ ... ] I got a D500, which is an APS C, with a much higher shutter
speed, than my FF. [ ... ]


1/8000 sec is much, much faster than 1/8000 sec.


Well, if I got up the nerve, with the electronic shutter on my X-T2 I
could push shutter speed to 1/32000 sec. I just haven't put myself in a
situation where I would need to.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

  #17  
Old May 9th 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,597
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

On 2017-05-09 17:34:25 +0000, android said:

In article ,
nap wrote:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:
[ ... ] I got a D500, which is an APS C, with a much higher shutter
speed, than my FF. [ ... ]


1/8000 sec is much, much faster than 1/8000 sec.


I think that PeterN had the frame rate in mind, FPS...


I can live with as low as 5fps Cl, and I am happy to have 11fps for Ch.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

  #18  
Old May 9th 17, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,245
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

On 5/9/2017 1:14 PM, nap wrote:
In article ,
PeterN wrote:
[ ... ] I got a D500, which is an APS C, with a much higher shutter
speed, than my FF. [ ... ]


1/8000 sec is much, much faster than 1/8000 sec.


OK You got me. I meant frame rate.

--
PeterN
  #19  
Old May 9th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,245
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

On 5/9/2017 1:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2017-05-09 17:34:25 +0000, android said:

In article ,
nap wrote:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:
[ ... ] I got a D500, which is an APS C, with a much higher shutter
speed, than my FF. [ ... ]

1/8000 sec is much, much faster than 1/8000 sec.


I think that PeterN had the frame rate in mind, FPS...


I can live with as low as 5fps Cl, and I am happy to have 11fps for Ch.


The 800 doesn't go to 10 fps.

--
PeterN
  #20  
Old May 9th 17, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,597
Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

On 2017-05-09 19:02:03 +0000, PeterN said:

On 5/9/2017 1:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2017-05-09 17:34:25 +0000, android said:

In article ,
nap wrote:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:
[ ... ] I got a D500, which is an APS C, with a much higher shutter
speed, than my FF. [ ... ]

1/8000 sec is much, much faster than 1/8000 sec.

I think that PeterN had the frame rate in mind, FPS...


I can live with as low as 5fps Cl, and I am happy to have 11fps for Ch.


The 800 doesn't go to 10 fps.


If you want to get that sort of rate out of a Nikon FF you will have to
buy a D4S or D5.

There are a whole bunch of factors controlling frame rate. With the
D800/D810 Nikons the inhibiting factor is the massive file size.

There is a reason the FF Nikons best suited for high frame rate sport
shooting are the D4S 16MP(10fps) and D5 20MP (11fps). The D800/D810
while having great resolution is limited to 4fps before the buffer just
chokes on those fat NEF files.

The question I have is, just how important is a very high frame rate for you?

I found that where the target is passing through a practical capture,
or composition window, at an airshow, or motorsport event for example a
5 to 11 frame burst is the most that is actually practical. I typically
end up with a usable burst of 5 to 8 frames, and can find a single
frame, or perhaps two to work on.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/apoel49w3s05ota/screenshot_48.jpg

When I have shot an event such as the triathlon cyclists making a slow
climb towards me up an extremely steep hill, Cl at 4-5fps is just fine,
8-11fps is too much, and just over-kill.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/93je2mw5g665zbk/screenshot_47.jpg
--
Regards,

Savageduck

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.