light leak on OM 2

Old October 28th 05, 05:25 PM
Michael Harrison

Default light leak on OM 2

I have an Olympus OM 2 which has served me well for more than 25 years, but
during that time it has taken some hard knocks but still managed to provide
me with good pictures.

However, in the last few outings I have had a problem with a light leak,
which is ruining some of my frames.

The camera back does not fit as well as it should, but this has been a
problem for years, so I don't know why the problem should have developed
recently.

As it is so old I don't know if I would be able to get spare parts, and
anyway, I don't know exactly where the light is getting in - although I am
sure that the problem has nothing to do with the shutter.

Anyone have any ideas of how I can make a more or less permanent repair of
the seal of the back that won't cause problems to the film or the spool
mechanism?

Thanks

Michael

Old October 28th 05, 05:34 PM
Colyn

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:25:59 +0100, "Michael Harrison"
wrote:

Anyone have any ideas of how I can make a more or less permanent repair of
the seal of the back that won't cause problems to the film or the spool
mechanism?

I use foamies for the channel seals which can be bought at Wal-Mart
for less than a buck with adhesive backing and felt for the door edge
with adhesive backing which can be bought at Wal-Mart also..

You'll need to clean the old seal material off with alcohol and a
wooden toothpick

--
Colyn Goodson

http://www.colyngoodson.com
Old October 28th 05, 05:50 PM
Michael Harrison

Hello Colyn

Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I have another problem, that of two countries speaking the same language
but not understanding each other.

What are foamies? They might exist here in England but to tell the truth I
have no idea where I could get them without a bit more information.

Again thanks,

Michael

Old October 28th 05, 06:12 PM

"Michael Harrison" writes:

Hello Colyn

Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I have another problem, that of two countries speaking the same language
but not understanding each other.

What are foamies? They might exist here in England but to tell the truth I
have no idea where I could get them without a bit more information.

Again thanks,

Michael

There are also kits available for this purpose; I got one from
eBay. Micro-Tools
(http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/text-restore.htm) also offers
the materials. A Google search for "camera light seal kit uk" should
set you up.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old October 28th 05, 06:52 PM
Colyn

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:50:32 +0100, "Michael Harrison"
wrote:

Hello Colyn

Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I have another problem, that of two countries speaking the same language
but not understanding each other.

What are foamies? They might exist here in England but to tell the truth I
have no idea where I could get them without a bit more information.

Again thanks,

Michael

Foamies are square sheets of thin foam approx 1/8 inch thick. They can
be cut into narrow strips and used in the back door channel.

If you have a crafts store, they may have something simular.

--
Colyn Goodson

http://www.colyngoodson.com
Old October 28th 05, 11:42 PM
Norm Fleming

wrote:

Hello Colyn

Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I have another problem, that of two countries speaking the same
language
but not understanding each other.

What are foamies? They might exist here in England but to tell the truth
have no idea where I could get them without a bit more information.

Again thanks,

Michael

Foamies are square sheets of thin foam approx 1/8 inch thick. They can
be cut into narrow strips and used in the back door channel.

If you can't find those, little strips cut from a computer mouse pad will
do a good job.
Since most foams will eventually disintegrate again anyway, black felt
cloth is probably a better log term solution.

Cheers

NF

Old October 29th 05, 01:47 AM
no_name

wrote:

Hello Colyn

Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I have another problem, that of two countries speaking the same
language
but not understanding each other.

What are foamies? They might exist here in England but to tell the truth
have no idea where I could get them without a bit more information.

Again thanks,

Michael

Foamies are square sheets of thin foam approx 1/8 inch thick. They can
be cut into narrow strips and used in the back door channel.

If you can't find those, little strips cut from a computer mouse pad will
do a good job.
Since most foams will eventually disintegrate again anyway, black felt
cloth is probably a better log term solution.

I wonder if Dr Scholls moleskin blackened with a sharpie would work?
Old October 29th 05, 03:30 PM
Gijs Rietveld

"Michael Harrison" schreef in bericht
[...]

Hello Michael,
maybe this link is what you are looking for:
http://www.cameraseals.com/products.php?v2=origsealkit

Succes, Gijs

Old November 5th 05, 02:26 AM

Colyn wrote:
Foamies are square sheets of thin foam approx 1/8 inch thick. They can
be cut into narrow strips and used in the back door channel.

If you have a crafts store, they may have something simular.

--
Colyn Goodson

Or you may be able to buy a replacement foam kit from Camtech. They
only service Olympus equipment, and John has put up instructions on how
to replace the back foam of an OM camers:

http://www.zuiko.com/7Backfoam.htm

Good luck.

Old November 16th 05, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Every OM 1 and 2 I see now needs new foam. OM-1s can be as old as 32 years
now. Extreme cases show large black / dark green blobs in the viewfinder.
This condition indicates that the foam pressing against the pentaprism (a
solid block of glass) as eaten through the prism paint and reflective
coating.
One foam set is $6, $2 postage. Send $8 check and I will mail it to you. I
have been servicing Olympus OM since 1977 and am factory trained (ex-
olympus employee, technician and NY Service Manager).

--

John Hermanson
wrote in message
oups.com...