Flash With Rolleiflex

Old January 28th 05, 02:39 AM
Neasthe

Default Flash With Rolleiflex

I just bought a Rolleiflex Automat MX in mint condition. I will be using
Portra 160 NC 120 film and have a Vivitar 2000 flash. I need to know what
aperture and speed to use when using flash. The Vivitar says f4 with ASA 100
and f5.6 with ASA 200. The Portra is ASA 160. Any help is appreciated.
Old January 28th 05, 05:55 PM
dadiOH

Neasthe wrote:
I just bought a Rolleiflex Automat MX in mint condition. I will be
using Portra 160 NC 120 film and have a Vivitar 2000 flash. I need
to know what aperture and speed to use when using flash. The Vivitar
says f4 with ASA 100 and f5.6 with ASA 200. The Portra is ASA 160.
Any help is appreciated.

It says to use those apertures when the subject is how far from the
flash? Ten feet? If so, the guide numbers would be 40 for ASA 100 and
56 for ASA 200. Split the difference for ASA 160 and use 45-50.

Divide GN by distance for aperture. Shutter speed is immaterial as far
as the flash exposure goes.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old January 29th 05, 12:36 AM
Neasthe

Thank you for your reply. This should be an adventure.
Old January 29th 05, 07:01 AM
zeitgeist

I just bought a Rolleiflex Automat MX in mint condition. I will be using
Portra 160 NC 120 film and have a Vivitar 2000 flash. I need to know what
aperture and speed to use when using flash. The Vivitar says f4 with ASA

100
and f5.6 with ASA 200. The Portra is ASA 160. Any help is appreciated.

you might want to go to the library and check out a book on photograph to
learn basics of exposure. there might be classes at your local community
college, parks and rec, and there are chapters of the Photo Society of
America in most towns.

I believe you have a leaf shutter, (it opens all around at once, vs a
curtain that moves from one side to the other) so you can choose any shutter
speed that is appropriate. AS the previous person said, the suggest
exposure is usally tied to a distance on a scale on the flash, unless you
have one with an auto exposure eye, then you could select an exposure you
prefer.

flash exposure is changed by the F/stop and output power
ambient light (room light) is changed by f/stop and shutter speed.

so you can select an exposure that will allow the room lights to keep up
with the flash, that will allow you to expose with or without blurryness
from camera movement or subject movement by the many choices.

Oh, yeah, make sure the flash sync is set to X, if you have an M or other
settings on a switch, the other is for flash bulbs which must be fired a few
milli seconds before the shutter opens so the fire in the bulb can get a
head start, that would make the flash fire and disappear before the shutter
starts to open.

If none of the above makes makes any sense then go read up one basic
photography.