I Miss my Viewfinder !

Old June 3rd 11, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

Default I Miss my Viewfinder !

In article
,
Whisky-dave wrote:

you absolutely can reverse it if you do it non-destructively.

How?

In iPhoto I select revert to original (by right-clicking on the image)

iphoto is not a non-destructive workflow.
Old June 3rd 11, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article
,
Whisky-dave wrote:

you absolutely can reverse it if you do it non-destructively.

How?

In iPhoto I select revert to original (by right-clicking on the image)

iphoto is not a non-destructive workflow.

I'm not so sure about that, if I enhance the image or crop it or
do almost anything else there is the undo function.

iphoto makes a copy of the original and modifies that. you can undo the
last step. when you revert to original, it tosses the copy. that's very
different than what aperture and lightroom do.
Old June 3rd 11, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-06-03 08:26:29 -0700, Whisky-dave said:

On Jun 3, 2:29*pm, nospam wrote:
In article
,

Whisky-dave wrote:
you absolutely can reverse it if you do it non-destructively.

How?

In iPhoto I select revert to original (by right-clicking on the ima

ge)

iphoto is not a non-destructive workflow.

I'm not so sure about that, if I enhance the image or crop it or
do almost anything else there is the undo function.

iphoto makes a copy of the original and modifies that. you can undo the
last step. when you revert to original, it tosses the copy. that's very
different than what aperture and lightroom do.

Well that's why I only mentioned iPhoto, I have got Aperture but
haven;t used it yet.
I do use photoshop which has history, you can undo them but only in
the reverse
order that they were done in.

Well, if you are working on an original JPEG in Photoshop your best
workflow to retain an unaltered original, is to create a working copy
of the original JPEG. There are several ways of doing this. The most
common is usually to just "Save as" and change the file name. The next
would be to open the "History" menu and then select "create New
document from current state" this will open an exact duplicate of the
original, usually with the file name "open.jpeg" You can then close the
original PS window without saving, leaving it unaltered. You can then
save that using any naming convention you want.

The beauty of doing work on original JPEG's that way, is lowering the
probability of inadvertently saving and overwriting an original. (Still
shooting in RAW, or RAW+JPEG gives you the greatest flexibility.)

Then it is also worth remembering that Photoshop is limited in the
number of levels of "history" it can reverse through. So it is best to
work on layers (and conversion to "Smart Object")for adjustments until
you have reached your final adjusted image. That way you can always
delete, or return to individual adjustment layers for further tweeking,
leaving the "background" layer locked and unmolested until the final
layer merge.

Working with layers also gives you another option, to save your entire
adjustment workflow as a PSD. That way you can always return to the PSD
with all the layers intact, to tweek those adjustments.

But I thought that would confuse mxsmanic as he';d say you can;t go
back in history
to before the image was created :-0

Savageduck