I Miss my Viewfinder !

Old May 26th 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Martin Brown

Default I Miss my Viewfinder !

On 26/05/2011 17:09, nospam wrote:
In , Mxsmanic
wrote:

It would be more accurate to say that it is hard not to develop a
digital sensor that out performs conventional film at 35mm these days.

Visit a chip fabrication facility, and you'll learn just how hard it really
is.

I worked in the semiconductor industry spending three years in Japan.
They can mass produce cheap consumer grade CCDs now with relative ease.
It is capital intensive but routine provided they follow good cleanroom
practice. How else do you think they can be in every mobile phone?

visit a film factory (i.e., kodak) and you'll learn just how hard it
really is to make film.

These days it is relatively easy to coat film reliably, but there is
nothing to see since the entire process in done in total darkness. It
was a lot more entertaining in the past with multiple coat processes.

The big problem is that to develop it you need some pretty dodgy
chemistry. I have some unfond memories of Cibachrome chemistry after
someone forgot to add the neutraliser before pouring it down the drain.
Choking gasses released in total darkness is not a nice experience.

By comparison E4 (tetchy) & E6 slide processes were a doddle provided
that you had good temperature regulation and followed the instructions.

Regards,
Martin Brown