Bargain Priced Film Cameras

Old October 19th 05, 05:08 PM

Default Bargain Priced Film Cameras

With the dramatic fall in value of film cameras as users switch to
digital, there are some amazing bargains to be had on Ebay. I very
recently bought a Nikon F601 with 35-80mm lens in true mint condition
for £55 - or about $99.

Have other members taken advantage of this situation - or are planning
to do so and what kind of cameras have/are tempting them?

Old October 19th 05, 07:23 PM
Michael

I got a pretty decent deal on a recently-serviced Leica M4. Shutter
speeds and rangefinder alignment are spot-on. I bought a new 50mm
f/2.8 Elmar to use with it, and that lens is very sharp and very
contrasty. My only fear is that Kodak will stop producing Tri-X. I am
so familiar with the film that the lack of a meter in the Leica is no
limitation whatsoever. I am trying to experiment with some eastern
European films. I have two rolls of Efke 100 in the bag to try. I'll
stick with Tri-X as long as it is available, but Kodak's decision to
stop producing traditional process photo paper has caused me to avail
myself of my other options vis-a-vis film selection.

Michael

Old October 19th 05, 08:57 PM
Matt Clara

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got a pretty decent deal on a recently-serviced Leica M4. Shutter
speeds and rangefinder alignment are spot-on. I bought a new 50mm
f/2.8 Elmar to use with it, and that lens is very sharp and very
contrasty. My only fear is that Kodak will stop producing Tri-X. I am
so familiar with the film that the lack of a meter in the Leica is no
limitation whatsoever. I am trying to experiment with some eastern
European films. I have two rolls of Efke 100 in the bag to try. I'll
stick with Tri-X as long as it is available, but Kodak's decision to
stop producing traditional process photo paper has caused me to avail
myself of my other options vis-a-vis film selection.

Michael

Have you tried Ilford? I like Delta 100 and 400, though they have a
different rendition than Tri-X. Closer to Tri-X would be FP4+ and HP5+.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old October 19th 05, 09:48 PM
Sergio La Marca

Have other members taken advantage of this situation - or are planning
to do so and what kind of cameras have/are tempting them?

Definitively yes, and it's fun, too!!

I buyed:

Yashica Electro 35 GSN with additional lenses and finder (perfect) around
$30
Pentax Spotmatic II w/55mm around $25
Nikon N70 body only around $60
Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL (dead meter) w/50mm around $25
Canon Aqua-Snappy AS-6 underwater camera (thought malfunctioning but not
really) around $15
Zeiss Contessa LKE (dead meter) around $15
Polaroid Land Camera 800 (trouble) around $9
Walzflex II TLR around $20

plus a mixed bag of lenses, lightmeter, and so on...

Planning to buy a Graflex Speed Graphic....

Have a good time,
Sergio