Monitor calibration and default hardware white point

Old September 29th 04, 10:34 PM
Dave

Default Monitor calibration and default hardware white point

I am trying to generate a color profile for my monitor using the Adobe
Gamma that comes with Photoshop (I have version 7). I have already
spent a lot more time on this than I intended -- searching the Internet
for tutorials and resources on the subject, and I just want to generate
a general-purpose color profile; e.g., my needs aren't specific to
print, web, video, etc.

I have downloaded canned ICM profiles for my monitor targeted at 5000,
6500, and 9300K. Most resources seem to indicate that a color
temperature of 6500K is desirable for most purposes. However, the
default hardware color temperature that my monitor is set to is 9300K.
Am I supposed to change my *monitor* temperature to 6500K in addition to
the software settings? Because when I do, the screen looks awfully dark
and yellow -- not at all what I am used to. And I would assume that the
factory defaults would be a closer baseline to what is most comfortable
to the eye.

But anyway, could someone please tell me if this is the correct
procedure to calibrating the monitor through Adobe Gamma for 6500K:

1.) Change my monitor from the default setting to 6500K
2.) Load the 6500K canned ICM in Adobe Gamma as the starting point
3.) Calibrate from there

When doing so, I noticed several strange things:
1) The phosphors are listed as "custom" but I am almost positive it is
Triniton, and 2) the Gamma value is listed as custom instead of "Windows
Default" with a value of 2.50. 3) The hardware white point is listed at
5000K. Oddly, I repeated the same steps using the default 9300K monitor
setting and 9300K ICM, and the values are the same.

FWIW, the monitor I have is a 21 inch CRT, IBM 6558 P202; it's
manufactured by Sony from what I've read.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am really new to color management
and right now I don't have much time to invest in learning, but would
like to at least generate at least a *reasonably* optimized color
profile that is better than not nothing, which is what I have now.

Thank you.

Dave

Old September 29th 04, 10:47 PM
Rick

"Dave" wrote in message ...
[...]

You must allow a few days for your eyes to adjust. If 9300K
is all you've ever used, 6500K will look horribly yellow for a
few days, but your eyes will eventually adjust.

But anyway, could someone please tell me if this is the correct
procedure to calibrating the monitor through Adobe Gamma for 6500K:

1.) Change my monitor from the default setting to 6500K
2.) Load the 6500K canned ICM in Adobe Gamma as the starting point
3.) Calibrate from there

etc

Follow Ian Lyons' excellent procedure, available he
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm

Rick

Old September 29th 04, 11:26 PM
Dave

Rick wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...

I have downloaded canned ICM profiles for my monitor targeted at 5000,
6500, and 9300K. Most resources seem to indicate that a color
temperature of 6500K is desirable for most purposes. However, the
default hardware color temperature that my monitor is set to is 9300K.
Am I supposed to change my *monitor* temperature to 6500K in addition to
the software settings? Because when I do, the screen looks awfully dark
and yellow -- not at all what I am used to. And I would assume that the
factory defaults would be a closer baseline to what is most comfortable
to the eye.

You must allow a few days for your eyes to adjust. If 9300K
is all you've ever used, 6500K will look horribly yellow for a
few days, but your eyes will eventually adjust.

It's a relief to know I'm not crazy.

But anyway, could someone please tell me if this is the correct
procedure to calibrating the monitor through Adobe Gamma for 6500K:

1.) Change my monitor from the default setting to 6500K
2.) Load the 6500K canned ICM in Adobe Gamma as the starting point
3.) Calibrate from there

etc

Follow Ian Lyons' excellent procedure, available he
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm

Thanks for the tip. Believe it or not, I had actually been using that
guide, which generated further confusion when I attempted to use my
manufacturer supplied ICMs as a starting point for calibration. As
noted in my previous message, when using the vendor supplied ICMs the
following differences were observed (by comparison to creating a new ICM
from scratch):
1) The phosphors were listed as "custom" even though I know they're
Triniton. Should I leave them at "custom" anyway?
2) The Gamma value is listed as custom (2.50) instead of "Windows
Default"? I don't know if I should change it to "Windows Default" or
leave it at 2.50.
3) The hardware white point is listed at 5000K instead of 6500K.
Repeating the same steps using the default 9300K monitor
setting and 9300K ICM profile yielded the same results. Should I change
this to 6500K?

In short, the calibration process seems to produce the results
anticipated when following the guide *if* I start from scratch, but when
I start from the vendor supplied ICM profiles, the results leave me
wondering whether I should avoid using the baseline profiles for my
monitor. I compared the monitor ICC files from the original monitor
installation disk (file timestamps of '97) with a set I downloaded from
the IBM site for a similar but newer monitor, and they were binary
identical; I'm not sure how "fine-tuned" they could possibly be for my
monitor...

Dave

Old September 30th 04, 07:38 AM
Bernhard Mayer

Dave wrote in message ...

Any help would be much appreciated. I am really new to color management
and right now I don't have much time to invest in learning, but would
like to at least generate at least a *reasonably* optimized color
profile that is better than not nothing, which is what I have now.

Dave...

after messing around with software, todo's and howto's for two
years... I have finally given up and purchased a Colorvision Spyder
when price was reduced from something around 400,- to something around
150,- I use it with the allegedly amateurish PhotoCal solution (rather
than the professional Optical that let's you play with the settings
more but costs a lot more).

I plug it in and it will calibrate my TFT monitor, my Powerbook and my
CRT screen in about 3 minutes each. It generates a profile for Windows
and Mac and my results have become much more accurate - the screen now
"good-enough" matches the professional output I get from my printing
service. It's so easy, I calibrate my equipment everytime I start a
Photoshop session (these usually mean: 4+ hours with Photoshop).
Actually, this is what you need to do: calibrate often
Old September 30th 04, 09:39 AM
Rick

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Rick wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...

[...]

The purpose of Ian's procedure is to create a custom ICM
from scratch. Don't use canned ones, they are intended for
customers who for one reason or another cannot create
their own.

Rick

Old September 30th 04, 06:09 PM
Graeme Cogger

The canned profiles are usually a good starting point, but only
to get the correct phosphor values. Ignore everything else,
and simply calibrate using Ian Lyons' technique.
Old October 1st 04, 10:41 PM
Jim Waggener

I plug it in and it will calibrate my TFT monitor, my Powerbook and my
CRT screen in about 3 minutes each. It generates a profile for Windows
and Mac and my results have become much more accurate - the screen now
"good-enough" matches the professional output I get from my printing
service. It's so easy, I calibrate my equipment everytime I start a
Photoshop session (these usually mean: 4+ hours with Photoshop).
Actually, this is what you need to do: calibrate often

I use the spyder with my TFT as well. I wonder how often you need to
calibrate a LCD as opposed to a CRT? It would seem a lcd has no way near
the kind of light fall-off or aging a tube based monitor would have.

Jim

Old October 2nd 04, 10:58 AM
Rick

"Jim Waggener" wrote in message ...

I plug it in and it will calibrate my TFT monitor, my Powerbook and my
CRT screen in about 3 minutes each. It generates a profile for Windows
and Mac and my results have become much more accurate - the screen now
"good-enough" matches the professional output I get from my printing
service. It's so easy, I calibrate my equipment everytime I start a
Photoshop session (these usually mean: 4+ hours with Photoshop).
Actually, this is what you need to do: calibrate often

I use the spyder with my TFT as well. I wonder how often you need to
calibrate a LCD as opposed to a CRT? It would seem a lcd has no way near
the kind of light fall-off or aging a tube based monitor would have.

Wrong. LCD backlights like all other fluorescent lamps
typically lose 30-40% of their brightness within the first
two years, three tops. And eventually they fail altogether.

Rick