No more Contax...

Old March 4th 05, 07:35 AM
Chris Loffredo

TAFKAB wrote:

The passing of the 645 system, with it's Zeiss lenses, is a real shame. I
can't imagine what all those Contax users will do now, except try to live
off used parts and lenses.

I'm a happy Rolleiflex 35mm SLR system user - it has been gone for about
a decade. And so? The lenses (Zeiss) are real bargains!

But will
either Leica or film be around in 30 years?

Film, certainly. Leica,probably - but in a very different form or as a
label.
Old March 4th 05, 07:46 AM
MarkČ

"Stacey" wrote in message ...
MarkČ wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message
My impression is that this is RARELY the case with Contax shooters.

Exactly, this guy was acting like just because the company goes out of
bussiness, all these contax users are screwed. I doubt many will even
care. I know if mamiya etc went out of bussiness, I sure wouldn't be
upset. Sorry if it came off the other way...

BTW I have NOTHING again canon products (I own 2 of their printers..),
it's the people who use them and their attitude that get's to me.

I think it's time you examined your own attitude.

Really now. I explained my post WASN'T what you got your panties in a wad
about, apologised if you misunderstood what I meant yet you're still going
on about this?

By your generalizations and logic, that would mean that YOU have that same
attitude--since you are a Canon user.

Nope, only the ones who BASH anything that isn't made by their favorite
company. Do you see me posting that I think Epson printers are crap?
Or that canon cameras are useless garbage? =That= is the difference. God
forbid that I looked at a canon dSLR and then bought something else?

Do you now see why you shouldn't throw such sweeping statements around?

Not sweeping, if the shoe fits.. Did you miss "And their attitude"? If this
-my camera can kick you camera's butt- attitude is missing, canon users are
like anyone else.

This is my problem with your many similar posts here.
You seem to blindly make pronouncements about the users of a specific
brand.

No, just ones like David who feel anything other than a Canon is useless
garbage. The type who jump into any non-canon thread proclaiming why
anything other than their choice of camera is junk. Look at the recent
nikon/olympus threads, 90% of each thread is "canon rules".

There are some VERY fine photographers who use Canon.
There are some VERY fine photographers who use Nikon and others.

And some VERY fine ones who use neither of these..

I think part of the "chatter" issue is that Canon has been truly
innovative over the last number of years (fully electric mount...three
generations of IS lenses...DO lenses...first top-notch implementation of
CMOS...developer of their own sensors/chips...etc. etc.).

I don't mind the chatter, what I don't care for is people who have NO first
hand experience with anything other than say a certain canon camera making
it their life goal to bash ANYTHING other than a canon product. When I
asked about a problem I was having with a canon printer I just bought, no
one would even consider that maybe there was a problem with the printer or
the supplied software? Turns out the printer WAS defective and these same
people said "Well I doubt that was the real problem" like canon can do no
wrong?

Does this mean that Canon shooters are full
of crap somehow--simply because there are a number of aspects to Canon
which are exclusive to that brand?

What makes certain ones "full of crap" is they assume what =THEY= think is
important in a camera should be important to everyone. And any reason
someone has for not choosing a canon is "just plain BS"..

You also need to understand that Canon is wildly out-selling Nikon in the
point-and-shoot digital market...and also the DSLR market.

So? Should it make people feel a need to bash anything but their brand of
camera like goes on here?

There you go again!
WHO is doing this?
Where???

Instead of flaming me,

Flaming you?
You repeatedly flame this entire newsgroup with your constant railing against Canon users
who you claim are problematic.

why don't you respond to the guy who was implying
contax users are now screwed and their cameras are useless because the
company is out of bussiness?

Why not? Because it's not necessary.
You've been throwing tantrums for over a week now.
Do a search on your name and see for yourself.

Who said that?

Again I'm sorry if my original post sounded
like I somehow though a contax user would be hung up on owning the latest
greatest or just wanting to brag about their gear, that isn't what I meant.

I got that.
I just don't get why you have to constantly harp on Canon shooters at every opportunity.
What satisfaction does this bring you?

Old March 4th 05, 07:52 AM
MarkČ

"Stacey" wrote in message ...
MarkČ wrote:

We bought our house about 2 1/2 years ago.
In that time, it's value has increased about $300,000.
Ridiculous.
If we tried to buy it today, based on our current income, we couldn't
afford it.

The problems start when you like where you live, don't really want to move
but the increased property taxes based on this increased worth drives you
out of your house..

It doesn't work that way in California.
Proposition 13 (over two decades ago) locked in property taxes based roughly on the
original purchase price.
If you MOVE...**THEN** you get a new tax based on your new property...which is whenyou
take a big hit.
My property taxes have only increased a tiny percentage, and not because of increased
value.

My brother pays less than one TENTH the tax I pay...because he bought my grandmother's
house...and this family transfer "grandfathered him in" at her original tax rate. Our
houses are worth roughly the same amount...yet I pay over $5K/year while he pays about
$400/year (the dirty dog!).

Old March 4th 05, 08:18 AM
Stacey

MarkČ wrote:

You also need to understand that Canon is wildly out-selling Nikon in
the point-and-shoot digital market...and also the DSLR market.

So? Should it make people feel a need to bash anything but their brand
of camera like goes on here?

There you go again!
WHO is doing this?
Where???

Are you wearing blinders? Obviously so or you don't see the bias because you
yourself are biased?

--

Stacey
Old March 4th 05, 08:34 AM
MarkČ

"Stacey" wrote in message ...
MarkČ wrote:

You also need to understand that Canon is wildly out-selling Nikon in
the point-and-shoot digital market...and also the DSLR market.

So? Should it make people feel a need to bash anything but their brand
of camera like goes on here?

There you go again!
WHO is doing this?
Where???

Are you wearing blinders? Obviously so or you don't see the bias because you
yourself are biased?

We all have bias.
Bias is inescapable.
However, I would challenge you to find a SINGLE post from me bashing ANY camera
manufacturer...
....OK...with the single exception of Sigma.
(In my opinion, Sigma camera bodies are perhaps the worst alternative available--but that
argument is not at hand, here.)

I have not bashed any group of people, or any manufacturer EVER--for not being Canon.
I am a Canon shooter, but I could have just as easily become a Nikon shooter when I first
started building my current system.
Right now, Nikon and Canon are clearly head and shoulders above others in terms of DSLR
offerings.
This cannot be honestly disputed.
Both produce world-class optics and bodies.
However, there are many fine manufacturers including Pentax, Konica-Minolta and others.

Now before you proceed in FURTHER proving my point about your gross generalizations by
automatically making declarations about me based on my camera equipment, I would suggest
you reconsider.
I use Canon...and...according to you, this makes me a basher.
That's the logic of a bigot...who makes judgements about an entire group of people based
on some silly gripe you have with a few.

Discern.
Investigate.
Discriminate (in the best sense of the word).
And lastly...grow a backbone that isn't so sensitive to the happy yelps of shooters that
are satisfied with their gear.
When you encounter one with a tendency to bash...just remind yourself you're doing quite a
bit of bashing, yourself.

Old March 4th 05, 08:36 AM
MarkČ

"T.N.T." wrote in message
ia.disorg...
On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 06:39:48 GMT, Stacey , wrote in
:

Markę wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message
My impression is that this is RARELY the case with Contax shooters.

Exactly, this guy was acting like just because the company goes out
of bussiness, all these contax users are screwed. I doubt many will
even care. I know if mamiya etc went out of bussiness, I sure
wouldn't be upset. Sorry if it came off the other way...

BTW I have NOTHING again canon products (I own 2 of their
printers..), it's the people who use them and their attitude that
get's to me.

I think it's time you examined your own attitude.

Really now. I explained my post WASN'T what you got your panties in a
wad about, apologised if you misunderstood what I meant yet you're
still going on about this?

Take a pass on him this time, Stacey. He was branded "pen*s wrinkle" for a
reason.

T.N.T. aye?

What a nice new call-sign you have!

Old March 4th 05, 09:18 AM
spam_me_not

x-no-archive:yes

rafeb wrote:

Well, they promised a full-frame 6Mpix
camera way way back... but never delivered.

Not exactly. They did deliver a few for a short while, they're still
around, you can find them regularly on eBay. I've even held one and
shot a few frames with it. It was a flop in general, unless you were
content with ISO 25 and no practical RAW software or RAW LCD display,
among other limitations. Here are two fairly favorable reviews with
caveats:

http://www.lonestardigital.com/n_digital.htm

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-digital.shtml

Old March 4th 05, 09:30 AM
Chris Brown

Brian C. Baird wrote:
In article .com,
says...
The Phase One digital backs (16 and 22 Mpixels) both fit the Contax 645
and give wonderful results, but are pretty pricey.

You can buy two decent cars or a sizable portion of a house with what
they cost.

Crikey! Houses must be really cheap where you are.
Old March 4th 05, 11:06 AM
Alan Jones

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"Stacey" wrote in message
MarkČ wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message
TAFKAB wrote:

"Roland Karlsson" wrote in message

Contax was one of the finest film SLR you could get.
Extremely good lenses and mechanical build.

The passing of the 645 system, with it's Zeiss lenses, is a real
shame.
I can't imagine what all those Contax users will do now,

Maybe take pictures with them instead of obsessing about buying the
newest latest greatest equipment to brag about owning?

Who are you talking to, Stacey?

TAFKAB?

You really seem to have an inferiority complex--and I mean that
sincerely.
Why do you immediately jump to these sorts of statement all the time???
First it's Canon, and now Contax.

??? I said "Maybe they'll go out and take pictures with them"???

What happened to you?
Why are you so bitter?
What gave you the idea that Contax users are buy-the-latest-thing
people?

??? Reread what I wrote or maybe you misunderstood, I meant to say the
EXACT
opposite!

[...]

Idiots abound, and they are not exclusive to any particular brand or type
of camera.
There are plenty of snobs to go 'round.
There are some VERY fine photographers who use Canon.
There are some VERY fine photographers who use Nikon and others.

I think part of the "chatter" issue is that Canon has been truly
innovative over the last number of years (fully electric mount...three
generations of IS lenses...DO lenses...first top-notch implementation of
CMOS...developer of their own sensors/chips...etc. etc.). This pattern of
innovation means that there is more to talk about in terms of the
geek-factor (techno stuff). Does this mean that Canon shooters are full
of crap somehow--simply because there are a number of aspects to Canon
which are exclusive to that brand?
I don't think so.
It simply means that there are some interesting aspects of the technology
to discuss.
Nikon has followed Canon with IS, and is increasingly following Canon with
fully electronic mounts.
Nikon and Canon are both world-class manufacturers.

You also need to understand that Canon is wildly out-selling Nikon in the
point-and-shoot digital market...and also the DSLR market.
This logically leads to more posts from Canon users than
Nikon/Pentax/Konica-Minolta.

And here endeth my sermon.

Old March 4th 05, 11:07 AM
Alan Jones

"Stacey" wrote in message
MarkČ wrote:

You also need to understand that Canon is wildly out-selling Nikon in
the point-and-shoot digital market...and also the DSLR market.

So? Should it make people feel a need to bash anything but their brand
of camera like goes on here?

There you go again!
WHO is doing this?
Where???

Are you wearing blinders? Obviously so or you don't see the bias because
you
yourself are biased?

--

Stacey

Don't let him worry you Stacey. It is well known he is a self-opinionated
prat.