Now it's OK to hate Jessops

Old March 28th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Now it's OK to hate Jessops

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/n...ews_82267.html

Jessops to close classic camera shop

March 28, 2006
Chris Cheesman

Jessops is to close its only dedicated classic camera store in the UK -
a shop in Great Russell Street, London which has been open since 1988.

Jessops head office declined to give a reason for the proposed closure
- or tell us whether or not the shop will be replaced - merely saying
the move is 'part of an ongoing review of our property portfolio'. The
shop is the only Jessops store in the UK where customers can view and
buy second-hand collectable cameras, confirmed a Jessops spokesman.
However, the company insists that customers will still be able to buy
second-hand gear by ordering equipment by mail order via Jessops'
website.

Staff at the Jessops Classic shop - which is opposite the British
Museum - are expected to be offered alternative positions elsewhere in
the company. The Jessops spokesman revealed that the shop is on the
market but he said the company does not expect a quick sale. He told
us: 'We remain committed as ever to offering a wide range of classic
photographic products for enthusiasts and collectors.'

Jessops Classic - a division of The Jessops Group plc - boasts
'thousands' of customers worldwide, according to the company's website.
'It was the first major UK retail outlet to dedicate an entire store to
the discerning collector,' adds the website.

Staff at the London store declined to comment when we contacted them.

Old March 28th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

wrote:

Jessops head office declined to give a reason for the proposed closure
- or tell us whether or not the shop will be replaced - merely saying
the move is 'part of an ongoing review of our property portfolio'. The
shop is the only Jessops store in the UK where customers can view and
buy second-hand collectable cameras, confirmed a Jessops spokesman.

I love living in Tokyo. There are almost as many second hand camera stores
as there are McDonalds.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 28th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

David J. Littleboy wrote:
wrote:

Jessops head office declined to give a reason for the proposed closure
- or tell us whether or not the shop will be replaced - merely saying
the move is 'part of an ongoing review of our property portfolio'. The
shop is the only Jessops store in the UK where customers can view and
buy second-hand collectable cameras, confirmed a Jessops spokesman.

I love living in Tokyo. There are almost as many second hand camera stores
as there are McDonalds.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Think yourself lucky. There are a number of second-hand camera stores
in London (can't think of many specialized ones) but not like this one
that Jessops is going to close. It is the king of the London
second-hand camera stores with the best camera gear and the best
location. A real joy to walk round. But alas, soon no more.

Old March 28th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article .com,
wrote:
http://www.amateurphotographer.com/n...ews_82267.html

Jessops to close classic camera shop

March 28, 2006
Chris Cheesman

Jessops is to close its only dedicated classic camera store in the UK -
a shop in Great Russell Street, London which has been open since 1988.

[snip]

I refuse to go in there ever since one of the staff was incredibly rude to
me. I can't say it was a great loss - everything in there always seemed
really overpriced.
Old March 28th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Sarah Brown wrote:

I refuse to go in there ever since one of the staff was incredibly rude to
me. I can't say it was a great loss - everything in there always seemed
really overpriced.

Yes, it sure is expensive, which is probably why I have never seen
anyone making a purchase in about a dozen visits (I usually look in
when I am visiting one of the several far more professional dealers
nearby). People look, but don't buy.

The staff are about as useful as in any other branch of Jessops.

Therein lies the problem?

;-)