How to get rid of scratches on lens surface.

Old October 20th 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
Paul L

Default How to get rid of scratches on lens surface.

Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
flat, plstic like material.
Old October 20th 06, 05:39 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
Unspam

Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
flat, plstic like material.

Don't worry about it, use a lens hood and you won't even notice it.

Old October 20th 06, 05:41 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
Joseph Meehan

Paul L wrote:
Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of
a lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens
is a flat, plstic like material.

I am not sure what a "Cover Lens" is. Is it in place when photos are
exposed or does it provide protection when not taking pictures? In any case
if you want to "improve the scratch severity" I would suggest sandpaper. :-)

While there are materials that can reduce scratches in plastics and are
available in automobile parts stores for headlight covers and the plastic
rear windows of convertibles I don't think I would use one on a camera.

On a glass lens a small scratch or chip can be "fixed" by the careful
application of a flat black material like India Ink.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old October 20th 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
Mike Fields

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
Paul L wrote:
[...]

I have never used them, but I have seen advertisements for
a polymer solution of some sort for eye glasses that is
supposed to "remove" the scratches. The trick is to fill it
in with something that has the same index of refraction as
what it is filling. Never used it, but you might want to
check it out.

Of course the better answer is not to get the scratch in the
first place ... like you didn't know that. If your camera can
take filters, put something like a UV or skylight filter on the
front. Much cheaper than the front element of the lens ..

mikey

Old October 20th 06, 08:21 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
SimonLW

"Paul L" wrote in message
om...
Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
flat, plstic like material.

If it is not affecting the image, leave it be. Do not try to polish the lens
cover because polishing removes material around the scratch and changes the
optical properties making it some what of a mild concave shape, thus may
effect the image the camera produces. If you you are getting flare from the
scratch, filling it the damage with black ink that adheres to the plastic
well may work.
-S

Old October 20th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Mike Fields" spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet ?????? ??? ??????
. ..

Paul L wrote:
[...]

seconded.My digital camera (Kodak CX 7300)has a glass protective thingy
(what would you call it?glass surface?) although its glass is plastic and I
strongly recommend you put an 1A or 1B to your camcorder,too.(Not UV which
has a light yellowish tint and was generally used in B&W)

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old October 21st 06, 01:34 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
George Kerby

On 10/20/06 12:58 PM, in article
, "Mike Fields"

Paul L wrote:
[...]

They will warn you that it is for uncoated lenses only. I assume this also
applys to camera lens glass.

Old October 21st 06, 08:56 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
ColinD

Paul L wrote:
Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
flat, plstic like material.

A flat plastic 'lens'? There should be no flat plastic of any sort in
front of your lens. Do you mean the cover over the lcd screen on the
back of the camera?

Colin D.

Old October 21st 06, 01:59 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
JohnR66

"ColinD" wrote in message
.. .
Paul L wrote:
Is there anything that can be used to improve the scratch severity of a
lens surface? On my fujifilm finepix digital camera the cover lens is a
flat, plstic like material.

A flat plastic 'lens'? There should be no flat plastic of any sort in
front of your lens. Do you mean the cover over the lcd screen on the back
of the camera?

Colin D.

Some older models did indeed have a flat piece of plastic over the lens. I
remember some cheap Fujifilm models had it and, IIRC, My Kodak DC280 had
it. It seemed to be hard coated so scratching was never an issue.
JOhn

Old October 21st 06, 02:14 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
Duncan

Leave well alone and shoot away from the sun using a lens hood.

But if the lens is expendable I would consider creating a soft focus lens by
using ultra fine emery and oil to smooth the lens in places to create an
effect lens.

Duncan

"JohnR66" wrote in message
"ColinD" wrote in message